Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

The Champions league ( For football supporters )

The Champions league ( For football supporters )

Old Apr 5th 2012, 1:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute
Default The Champions league ( For football supporters )

Couldn’t get a ticket from my usual source at the ‘Calella Pena’ for Tuesday’s game....So took my chances outside the stadium.

It had been raining all day but eased a little around 7pm. The damp mist still hung in the air and clung to coats like fine cobwebs as I made my way toward the ground, huge meandering throngs of locals, rather subdued and lacking any atmospheric air, walked with me.... I carried a small ice box full of vittles for the approaching couple of hours....Plastic bottles of water, wine, some Lidles crisps, two hulking great sandwiches stuffed with ham, tuna and cheese....And a hip flask of Irish whisky.

Nearing the ground I headed for the south side entrances as its where the more boisterous fans gather before a match and the few small bars are crammed with ‘Blaugranas’ building an air of anticipation.....They carry an aurora of a rather contemptible air of superiority, never expecting the worst from their team and it can be an offensive, oppressive attitude, especially if you follow Madrid as I do.

Most visitors try and taste the atmosphere as well as the beer and Tapas in places like the ‘Jaguar’....I prefer ‘Pieto’s’, a tiny little cafe only a 5 minute walk away who does piping hot ‘Carahillios’ at 1 Euro. Before first sip of my second I was bartering the price of a forth tier ticket from ‘Guellermo’, a nineteen year old baker who only has part time morning work and needed the money........We agreed a fair price of 90 Euros, which would be paid over when he walked me through the first set of gates up to his turnstile.

Deal done and I was sat, not quite with the Gods, but high enough to enhance the heady feeling you get before a big match...And with a diversity of fans of all ages from babies to grandparent tucking in at you from all sides, it bode well for a cracking hour or two....

It’s a strange place the Camp Nou ( Nou Camp ).....It tends to have pockets of jubilant character around the multi layered stadium which work like independent sections in a greater scheme.....It doesn’t seem to carry the monolithic being that acts as one like the English crowd, surging its reaction akin to one personal rebuke or compliment. There appears to be several conflicting opinions discharged all at once fashioning a zoo-like sound of various species all hooting, squawking, barking and roaring at once.
And squawk, bark, hoot and roar they did for the whole 90 plus minutes....

As much as I follow Madrid as my ‘Spanish team’, I defy anyone not to get sucked body, soul and being into the maelstrom that is being ‘Blaugrana’ on a Champions league night in a bursting at the gills Camp Nou. As you leave the stadium, which like any other huge football ground in the world seems to empty in seconds, you carry home with you a sense of belonging, to what, I don’t now? But there is something!

I’m a season ticket holder at Deep dale and have been for a few years now and though I won’t be attending this Saturdays game I shall wish one of my heroes Sir Tom a very ‘Happy Birthday’ for today and this Saturday when the supporters will show their affection for the great man.....This Tuesday, I watched another great footballer, Messi......He can purport the fact that he is worshipped like a demigod whenever he sets foot on his home ground.....Yet, somehow, I think he has a way to go yet to live up to our Sir Tom.

Last edited by The Beast; Apr 5th 2012 at 1:02 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2012, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Champions league ( For football supporters )

Nice story, I enjoyed reading that. Thanks
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:37 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

With all due respect to Sir Tom, he was a half decent player in his day, but I doubt he could have tied Messis bootlaces in todays game.
He wasn't even the best in his hayday with the likes of Mathews and Shackleton around.
Unfortunately fame and glory have completely eluded PNE for longer than I can remember, so it's probably understandable that they are still hanging onto the shirt-tails of former heroes.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 8:44 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently Spain have 3 teams in the Europa semi finals, as well as 2 teams in the Champions League semis. It's particularly good to see Athletic Bilbao doing well in the Europa (after putting out Man U) as they have a policy of only recruiting Basque players, even if this definition is stretched at times. I imagine watching a game at San Mames, known as "the cathedral" would be quite an experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Athletic_Bilbao
Old Apr 6th 2012, 9:54 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting link Stevie.
Seems Spain has an English coach to thank for its neat short passing game.
I always knew of the Sunderland connections regarding football and ship building, but I didn't know Southampton were involved as well.

I can even recall listening to the radio commentary of the Busby Babes knocking them out of the European Cup in the late fifties.
Nice to see how they finally and deservedly gained some revenge.
Old Apr 6th 2012, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond reputeThe Beast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
With all due respect to Sir Tom, he was a half decent player in his day, but I doubt he could have tied Messis bootlaces in todays game.
He wasn't even the best in his hayday with the likes of Mathews and Shackleton around.
Unfortunately fame and glory have completely eluded PNE for longer than I can remember, so it's probably understandable that they are still hanging onto the shirt-tails of former heroes.
Stan Mortenson and Wilf Mannion said that they had never played with or against anyone with such a blistering surge of speed whilst still having total control of the ball.
Sir Bobby Charlton tells of how he watched and learnt from Sir Tom. Sir Stanley Matthews states that he envied the tackling skills and speed of Sir Tom. From such great as Tommy Lawton through to George Best and David Beckham, all have praised the eloquence and skills of Mr Finney whether having played for, against, or just having watched live or on reel the great man.
Sir Alf Ramsey and Tommy Docherty extol and acclaim the skill, speed and individual ability of the man who played in three world cups. Bill Shankly is remembered for one of his shrewd comments with his usual tongue in cheek guile re the skill and rare quality of a 60 yr old Sir Tom compared to a young and fit Graham Souness.
Perhaps Preston North End have not aspired to former glory years and there is an obvious element of hero worship from the local community....But the fact that he is so well respected by his peers, heroes and prodigies is testament to his statue in the annals of footballing greats...
So with the greatest of respect, I would rather glean and then agree the opinion of the above great professional men in the sport of football than that of an anonymous cyber warrior as your good self as to how ell Sir Tom would tie Mr Messi's bootlaces..
Old Apr 6th 2012, 1:47 pm
On the road again.

Yes, but with one possible exception those were all nice guys and true gents, so I presume they were only being polite and naturally wouldn't say anything else.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough

I had the pleasure of meeting Sir Tom a few years back at the national football museum at Deepdale which, in case you've not been, is a massively underrated destination if you've even the mildest of interest in football (the museum that is, not necessarily Deepdale these days!).

Despite him having hung up his boots long before my interest in football began, after trawling through the history of the game in the museum, having a chat with the man whilst my dad stood at my side completely starstruck (something I'd never seen before!), was an experience and an honour.

The comparisons with modern footballers are folly. Sir Tom is from an era of gentlemen with true working class roots. Born within spitting distance of Deepdale he had a trade as well.

Having said that...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17588323
Old Apr 7th 2012, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 82mph
I had the pleasure of meeting Sir Tom a few years back at the national football museum at Deepdale which, in case you've not been, is a massively underrated destination if you've even the mildest of interest in football (the museum that is, not necessarily Deepdale these days!).

Despite him having hung up his boots long before my interest in football began, after trawling through the history of the game in the museum, having a chat with the man whilst my dad stood at my side completely starstruck (something I'd never seen before!), was an experience and an honour.

The comparisons with modern footballers are folly. Sir Tom is from an era of gentlemen with true working class roots. Born within spitting distance of Deepdale he had a trade as well.

Having said that...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17588323
Sadly, the football museum was transferred from Deep dale to Manchester more than two years ago now, in what was a rather political piece of prestidigitation....The main excuse being the far reaching number of international tourists who would be able to visit........It is still closed with plans to open sometime August I believe?

Messi certainly is a fantastic footballer!
Old Apr 8th 2012, 3:57 pm
Forum Regular

tonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant futuretonysallis1 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by The Beast
Couldn’t get a ticket from my usual source at the ‘Calella Pena’ for Tuesday’s game....So took my chances outside the stadium.

It had been raining all day but eased a little around 7pm. The damp mist still hung in the air and clung to coats like fine cobwebs as I made my way toward the ground, huge meandering throngs of locals, rather subdued and lacking any atmospheric air, walked with me.... I carried a small ice box full of vittles for the approaching couple of hours....Plastic bottles of water, wine, some Lidles crisps, two hulking great sandwiches stuffed with ham, tuna and cheese....And a hip flask of Irish whisky.

Nearing the ground I headed for the south side entrances as its where the more boisterous fans gather before a match and the few small bars are crammed with ‘Blaugranas’ building an air of anticipation.....They carry an aurora of a rather contemptible air of superiority, never expecting the worst from their team and it can be an offensive, oppressive attitude, especially if you follow Madrid as I do.

Most visitors try and taste the atmosphere as well as the beer and Tapas in places like the ‘Jaguar’....I prefer ‘Pieto’s’, a tiny little cafe only a 5 minute walk away who does piping hot ‘Carahillios’ at 1 Euro. Before first sip of my second I was bartering the price of a forth tier ticket from ‘Guellermo’, a nineteen year old baker who only has part time morning work and needed the money........We agreed a fair price of 90 Euros, which would be paid over when he walked me through the first set of gates up to his turnstile.

Deal done and I was sat, not quite with the Gods, but high enough to enhance the heady feeling you get before a big match...And with a diversity of fans of all ages from babies to grandparent tucking in at you from all sides, it bode well for a cracking hour or two....

It’s a strange place the Camp Nou ( Nou Camp ).....It tends to have pockets of jubilant character around the multi layered stadium which work like independent sections in a greater scheme.....It doesn’t seem to carry the monolithic being that acts as one like the English crowd, surging its reaction akin to one personal rebuke or compliment. There appears to be several conflicting opinions discharged all at once fashioning a zoo-like sound of various species all hooting, squawking, barking and roaring at once.
And squawk, bark, hoot and roar they did for the whole 90 plus minutes....

As much as I follow Madrid as my ‘Spanish team’, I defy anyone not to get sucked body, soul and being into the maelstrom that is being ‘Blaugrana’ on a Champions league night in a bursting at the gills Camp Nou. As you leave the stadium, which like any other huge football ground in the world seems to empty in seconds, you carry home with you a sense of belonging, to what, I don’t now? But there is something!

I’m a season ticket holder at Deep dale and have been for a few years now and though I won’t be attending this Saturdays game I shall wish one of my heroes Sir Tom a very ‘Happy Birthday’ for today and this Saturday when the supporters will show their affection for the great man.....This Tuesday, I watched another great footballer, Messi......He can purport the fact that he is worshipped like a demigod whenever he sets foot on his home ground.....Yet, somehow, I think he has a way to go yet to live up to our Sir Tom.
don't know much about the older footballers, but Messi is, by far, the best footballer on the planet (better than the Ronaldos, Rooney etc.)
Old Apr 8th 2012, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tonysallis1
don't know much about the older footballers, but Messi is, by far, the best footballer on the planet (better than the Ronaldos, Rooney etc.)
Yep!! Think you could be right on that one...
Old Apr 19th 2012, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

An excellent result for Chelsea last night, with a lot of luck and some hard fought defending they come to Barcelona next week with a slender but important lead.....Messi was at his creative best but was sufficiently stifled by some determined play and excellent goalkeeping at times.....Chelsea need to ride their luck even more if they want to end up in the final...I can still see Barca and Madrid there in the end though....

Have just forked out 240 Euros for 2 tickets to Saturdays game at the Camp Nou...Up in the Gods again...
Old Apr 21st 2012, 8:03 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

The Portuguese came out on top tonight. Real Madrid will be champions.

Barca need to beat Chelsea to have any chance of retrieving anything from this season. Who'd have thought it would be like this?
Old Apr 21st 2012, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough82mph is a jewel in the rough

Well beaten they were too! Shame. I hate Madrid.
Old Apr 21st 2012, 11:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

They are celebrating already the arrogant barstewards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.