Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

A Challenging Question

A Challenging Question

Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Monkeysocks is an unknown quantity at this point
Default A Challenging Question

I worked in the UK for 23 years and moved to the Republic of Ireland six years ago. Last year I lost my job through illness and am now on disability payments.

Myself and family are hoping to move to Alicante next year (after medical treatment) and my wife would like to start work.

Does anyone know if I would be able to continue recieving disability payments or any kind of payments when we move there?

Any help would be appreciated
Old Apr 18th 2010, 2:41 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A Challenging Question

Originally Posted by Monkeysocks
I worked in the UK for 23 years and moved to the Republic of Ireland six years ago. Last year I lost my job through illness and am now on disability payments.

Myself and family are hoping to move to Alicante next year (after medical treatment) and my wife would like to start work.

Does anyone know if I would be able to continue recieving disability payments or any kind of payments when we move there?

Welcome, I dont want to stick my neck out on this, but I think that it is possible to draw disability payments whilst living abroad.

Someone with more knowledge will be able to give you more help.

They are probably just finishing their Sunday roast......

Cheers

Last edited by JLFS; Apr 18th 2010 at 3:12 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

I really hope so too

Many thanks JLFS
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:17 am
Just Joined

Briona is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Monkeysocks

Hi Monkeysocks,

I know that you can export UK disability benefit, at least in part, but I'm assuming that you're claiming Irish disability benefit.

If you look at Citizens Information (see link below), you'll see that certain benefits CAN be claimed abroad. Without knowing WHAT you're claiming I can't be more specific, suffice to say that if you are claiming an exportable benefit, there's advice on how to go about exporting it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/ca...lfare-payments

Briona
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:59 am
Forum Regular

savateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nicesavateur is just really nice

You can export Disability Living Allowance, although the UK Government had to be taken to court to enforce this. So be aware that the UK Government will, in all probability, again attempt to change the type of payment given in order to make it "non exportable" !
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Briona
Hi Monkeysocks,

I know that you can export UK disability benefit, at least in part, but I'm assuming that you're claiming Irish disability benefit.

If you look at Citizens Information (see link below), you'll see that certain benefits CAN be claimed abroad. Without knowing WHAT you're claiming I can't be more specific, suffice to say that if you are claiming an exportable benefit, there's advice on how to go about exporting it.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/ca...lfare-payments

Briona
Perfect!

I really appreciate your help guys- many thanks
Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

AS ROI is in the EEU I imagine the law that was passed allowing the export of certain benefits applies to you.
The UK was forced (begrudgingly) to adopt the law whether the ROI obeyed this law or not I can't say.
Surely if you are getting a benefit that comes under that criteria the Social security there has no choice but to allow the export of that benefit.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:02 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by twistedmelon
AS ROI is in the EEU I imagine the law that was passed allowing the export of certain benefits applies to you.
The UK was forced (begrudgingly) to adopt the law whether the ROI obeyed this law or not I can't say.
Surely if you are getting a benefit that comes under that criteria the Social security there has no choice but to allow the export of that benefit.
Nice one- many thanks twistedmelon