Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Certificate of none residents account holders.BANK CHARGES??

Certificate of none residents account holders.BANK CHARGES??

Old Oct 15th 2014, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

lee1lpool is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Certificate of none residents account holders.BANK CHARGES??

Hi all,

I`m just wandering if anybody could shed any light on CERTIFICATE OF NONE RESIDENTS ACCOUNT HOLDERS?

I`ve just had 37 euros deducted from my Sabadell account without any notice or warning. I rang the bank up and they told me as a none resident my information is sent to the government and every 2 years I have to pay 37 euros.

When I opened my account they said absolutely the only charge would be the 75 euros annual charge for my bank account. I asked them could they advise me on anything else I have to pay. I thought I`d done all my research and had all the information and was aware of all the taxes I have to pay.

Could anyone advise me is there a certificate I have to get? Is this charge a penalty for not having a none residents certificate. The bank told me it`s standard procedure that every none resident with a Spanish bank account pays it.

The fact of taking money from my account without notice has pissed me off more than a poxy 37 euros.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

rspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond reputerspltd has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Certificate of none residents account holders.BANK CHARGES??

Don't fall foul of anywhere official then such as traffico or the Hacienda because they will take money from your account as well.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 11:04 am
Forum Regular

After this I`m thinking of closing my account and find an alternative way of paying all my bills and taxes.

Time to go back to basics. Tell them nothing, just what they need to know and that`s it. Dog eat dog.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 11:40 am
BE Forum Addict

lutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond reputelutonlad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee1lpool
Hi all,

I`m just wandering if anybody could shed any light on CERTIFICATE OF NONE RESIDENTS ACCOUNT HOLDERS?

I`ve just had 37 euros deducted from my Sabadell account without any notice or warning. I rang the bank up and they told me as a none resident my information is sent to the government and every 2 years I have to pay 37 euros.

When I opened my account they said absolutely the only charge would be the 75 euros annual charge for my bank account. I asked them could they advise me on anything else I have to pay. I thought I`d done all my research and had all the information and was aware of all the taxes I have to pay.

Could anyone advise me is there a certificate I have to get? Is this charge a penalty for not having a none residents certificate. The bank told me it`s standard procedure that every none resident with a Spanish bank account pays it.

The fact of taking money from my account without notice has pissed me off more than a poxy 37 euros.
Same here. Looked at my Sabadell a/c this morning. Also 25 euros annual charge for bank card. So 60 euros gone in a flash. Rip off.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Lee

Going back a few years I had an accountant in Alicante. He charged me 110 euros every month for doing my accounts. After being caught out with unauthorised withdrawals in the past, I only kept money in my business account to pay bills, nothing more. My accountant’s lackey phoned me one day in July to tell me the month’s payment wasn’t in the bank. I told him it was. He said they tried to withdraw 220 euros but it wasn’t there. I asked him why 220 euros. He replied that they took an extra month’s payment because it was August and this creature called my accountant was going on holiday. I told him no one told me about this, paying 13 payments per year. He told me it was normal, an oft used term in Spain. I put the extra in the bank because I was still a little green and didn’t want problems, but patience was wearing thin. There was no direct debit. He just took what he wanted.

Later that year my business account was embargoed by the Hacienda. I went to see him and he told me my account was embargoed by the Hacienda because they charged me an extra tax for those making more than 3 million a year – I should be so lucky. I told him you know how much I earn. He nodded. I said you know it is not 3 million a year. He nodded. I said, as you are my accountant – phah – why doesn’t the Hacienda know this? His reply was for me to go round to the Hacienda and explain this to them. I told him you are my accountant; it’s what I pay you for. He said if I gave him 90 euros he would send them a letter explaining everything. I said to him, I’ll give you 90 euros when I see the embargo has been lifted. He said come back next week. I did. He said come back the next week. I did. On the third week his lackey said to me that that month’s payment hadn’t gone through. I told him that was because the Hacienda had embargoed my business account and until your boss sorted it out it will remain unpaid. I got up to leave and this lackey pushes a piece of paper at me. I said, what is this for? He told me to write down the details of my personal bank account. I asked him why? He told me it was so this insect called an accountant could take money from my bank. I walked out never to return and heard no more from him.

There were other unauthorised withdrawals, such as a yearly amount for which I never had a say in and the money was suddenly withdrawn, for the Alicante Chamber of Commerce, an entity I never had contact with but I am sure exists just to take money from poor sods like me.

There you have it, Lee. Anyone in Spain can take money from your account, from those lowest of the lowest calling themselves accountants to the Government. It is, I’m afraid, normal.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I think all the banks make a charge on non resident accounts as they have to submit a form stating you are still non resident every 2 years. I think we paid 30 euros with Cajamar, however they sent us the completed forms over for us to sign and we dropped them into the bank when we were next in Spain so that they could submit them. I believe it is law that you must submit a non resident declaration as this means that there is no tax paid on interest etc. It may well be that you could do it yourself if you know how or through a gestor. Myself I find 30 Euro not bad for peace of mind. As for debit card charges we get that as well with Cajamar, however if you use the card 40 times to pay not to get cash out of machine no charge. I use mine for petrol groceries etc and will be over the 40 uses this year.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

I spoke to my British bank TSB, and they said I can pay all my all my Spanish direct debits through my British TSB account providing the Spanish company agrees. Also I will not incur bank charges for the currency change only the value of the direct debit. I can retain my British TSB account even as a Spanish resident.

They also said the Spanish authorities would have a lot more difficulty taking a tax or payment without my knowledge. It is possible, but they would be faced with layers of legislation being a British account.

I`m going to keep my Sabadell account for now, but it`s something to think about once I properly move to Alicante
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:38 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lee1lpool
Thanks for sharing your knowledge and experiences.

I spoke to my British bank TSB, and they said I can pay all my all my Spanish direct debits through my British TSB account providing the Spanish company agrees. Also I will not incur bank charges for the currency change only the value of the direct debit. I can retain my British TSB account even as a Spanish resident.

They also said the Spanish authorities would have a lot more difficulty taking a tax or payment without my knowledge. It is possible, but they would be faced with layers of legislation being a British account.

I`m going to keep my Sabadell account for now, but it`s something to think about once I properly move to Alicante
Once you move you will become a resident, and those taxes will not need to be paid, but you do need to let the bank know ASAP after you move.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 3:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a link re doing it yourself it is cheaper as they quote approx £5.75 although you have to attend in person with all correct forms etc as listed. So yes seems the banks do make a profit but less hassle. Applying for N.I.E and Certificate of non residence
Old Oct 15th 2014, 4:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Once you move you will become a resident, and those taxes will not need to be paid, but you do need to let the bank know ASAP after you move.

How do you know I have not already payed them? All my taxes are payed matey. But next years charges will not be through a Spanish account
Old Oct 15th 2014, 7:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

It is the law that the non residents check has to be done every two years. Every bank has a different charge for this 'check' ours with Santander has just been paid 14€ each along with 28€ each for debit cards which we have never been sent since the expired in 2009!

The thing that gets me about the 'check' is how do they do it? they don't ask for proof you are still non resident, they ask you for nothing. Its just another extraction technique for reliving you of cash- all perfectly legally.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

I already have my NIE. So if I obtain my certificate of none residence,does this mean the bank will not charge me this fee every 2 years?

Also with my Sabadell bank deducting this fee, does that mean I still have to apply for my none residence certificate, or is the fee I`ve just payed that mean I do not have to apply for it?

Thank you in advance
Old Oct 15th 2014, 11:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If you pay the fee to the bank they should submit and obtain the non resident certificate, I have never actually received a certificate so presume that they retain it. We do have to sign the form stating that we are still non resident every 2 years. The bank send the form filled in to our UK address and we sign and return them when next in Spain or by post if lengthy delay.

The NIE as nothing to do with the non resident certificate it is just a number given for life in order that there is an official record of you in order to pay bills and other official matters, you retain it even if you become resident, (nearest thing similar is NI number in UK). So yes if you stay non resident you will have to renew non resident certificate in 2 years time.
Old Oct 15th 2014, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bobd22
If you pay the fee to the bank they should submit and obtain the non resident certificate, I have never actually received a certificate so presume that they retain it. We do have to sign the form stating that we are still non resident every 2 years. The bank send the form filled in to our UK address and we sign and return them when next in Spain or by post if lengthy delay.

The NIE as nothing to do with the non resident certificate it is just a number given for life in order that there is an official record of you in order to pay bills and other official matters, you retain it even if you become resident, (nearest thing similar is NI number in UK). So yes if you stay non resident you will have to renew non resident certificate in 2 years time.
Thanks a lot Bobd22. I understand it much clearer now. Much appreciated!
Old Oct 16th 2014, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

That's interesting Bob. In the nine years we have been here we have paid every two years the non resident tax. In all that time we have never seen or been asked to sign a certificate or paperwork allied to it!

I was discussing this with another couple in the bar they bought last year and had to take out the non resident account. However they had immediately applied for residency as they intended to live here, this was obtained in six weeks so they are resident now. Their bank has just charged them the non resident tax! They complained they were resident and that they now had a resident account. "It is the way" they were told! Apparently it will correct itself given enough weeks.

A bit like ourselves, we closed an account with Santander in June because we opened a new one with Santander closer to us rather than 90k away. The old account which was closed was charged with the non resident tax and went into the red by 118€ (other bank charges as well) obviously we didn't know this because it was 'closed' Last month we paid 700€ in to the new account, it never arrived. After some tracking down Santander had without our knowledge diverted the payment to the old account, deducted their charges and a new payment of 50€ for having to do this!

We are still trying to get this rectified now 3 months later. The bank assures us it will all be paid back, it just takes time!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.