Cat travel

Old Jan 10th 2010, 9:23 pm
Forum Regular

andreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really niceandreavarga is just really nice
Default Cat travel

Last year I asked a question on this forum about traveling with cats and was given some invaluable advice. So here I go again and try my luck the second time...

Has anyone travelled back to the UK with cats/dogs and could tell me what the inspection involves? Last year it was suggested that I should cross the channel with my cats on the Eurotunnel which was the best advice ever given. It was really easy to travel on the Eurotunnel with my cat. Now we are going back and, also on the Eurotunnel, and I would really appreciate if someone could tell me what the inspectors (on the British side) actually do. Do they just look at the cat passport and check that all the dates are right? Or do they actually examine the cats too? One of my cats would love it, she's up for anything just to be in the centre of attention but the other is extremely frightened of everything and I am worried that she might try to run away. I suppose we have to get out of the car and go into a veterinary office/surgery?

I would appreciate any information.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 11:21 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cat travel

The pet checks are normally done at the check-in point at the place and country of departure.
The chip will be checked and various other things in the passport, such as verifying that the appropriate treatments have been given between 24 and 48 hours before check-in for departure.
These include flea and tick treatment and parasite treatment with recommended medications by a govt licenced vet.
Also up to date rabies cover and appropriate general health checks.
If you look at the DEFRA site you will find the full up to date details.
Checks before returning to the UK are very much more thorough than when leaving,however having been completed satisfactorily, you are not normally checked again on UK arrival.