Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

CASH OR CARD OR CONTACTLESS?

CASH OR CARD OR CONTACTLESS?

Old Jun 17th 2020, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CASH OR CARD OR CONTACTLESS?

I just wondered what the score was with paying at bars etc since the Covid situation. In the UK we now seem to pay for even minimal amounts by contactless card NOT CASH, or at least retailers prefer cards. In Spain I might have paid resto bills by card sometimes, but always cash for a beer or two. I would like to know the current situation from those residing there. Also do they have contactless there and if so what is the limit ? I'm also assuming that UK contactless will work there? This will have a bearing on how many Euros I bring out next time. Thanks. Keith.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CASH OR CARD OR CONTACTLESS?

Originally Posted by keithBT
I just wondered what the score was with paying at bars etc since the Covid situation. In the UK we now seem to pay for even minimal amounts by contactless card NOT CASH, or at least retailers prefer cards. In Spain I might have paid resto bills by card sometimes, but always cash for a beer or two. I would like to know the current situation from those residing there. Also do they have contactless there and if so what is the limit ? I'm also assuming that UK contactless will work there? This will have a bearing on how many Euros I bring out next time. Thanks. Keith.
We use tap for everything everywhere it is government recommended in Spain. Two coffees we put coins down on the table but buying a pastry in the patisserie for some odd reason we tap probably since there is a plastic screen with a slot where they push the machine at you. This I think because of the risk of transmission on the money. You can certainly pay with Stirling cards but you have to watch the exchange rate and never ever accept the stores rate. If you bank with Santander U.K. you can draw Euro at the Santander ATM with a very good exchange rate and no costs. Always press the no for euros button.
Old Jun 17th 2020, 8:48 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Just today i read that Spain is considering going cashless; just a consideration at the moment but it is being discussed

https://www.theolivepress.es/spain-n...hless-society/

Davexf

Last edited by Dxf; Jun 17th 2020 at 8:50 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 8:17 am
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up using cash, I prefer using cash. I don't have a credit card. I have paid by cash in Lidl, Mercadona, SuperSol, El Jamon, the farmicias and vets. Cash for coffees and lunches bar one or two. All in Ayamonte.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info. I usually prefer paying cash in SP /PT as there is less chance of a card being cloned and not having to worry about getting the transaction done in euros rather than some rubbish instant exch rate. Hence I think I will continue with cash as long as I can, keeping cards as a back up for more expensive stuff like a replacement fridge freezer. Roll on reopening of flights & borders.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn

. If you bank with Santander U.K. you can draw Euro at the Santander ATM with a very good exchange rate and no costs. Always press the no for euros button.
That's very interesting John, and I have a question if you don't mind. I have a Santander account in the UK But have been put off in the past using it to withdraw euros in Spain because of problems quoted in the press . For example Banco Popular was taken over by Santander and rebranded but the cash machines were not changed so extra fees were still being added as per the original Popular set up. I guess this is not the problem with the Ayamonte branch. So my question is if the interbank exchange rate is 1.1200 Euro to GBP for example how far away is the rate you get from the cashpoint roughly. And no extra charges are added.
Old Jun 18th 2020, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

del.Almendro will become famous soon enoughdel.Almendro will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shirley and anthony hide
That's very interesting John, and I have a question if you don't mind. I have a Santander account in the UK But have been put off in the past using it to withdraw euros in Spain because of problems quoted in the press . For example Banco Popular was taken over by Santander and rebranded but the cash machines were not changed so extra fees were still being added as per the original Popular set up. I guess this is not the problem with the Ayamonte branch. So my question is if the interbank exchange rate is 1.1200 Euro to GBP for example how far away is the rate you get from the cashpoint roughly. And no extra charges are added.
Any Santander UK 123 debit card will give almost perfect interbank exchange rates, and no fees, on Euro cash withdrawals from Santander ATMs in Spain. Only in Spain though, no good in Portugal.

The very best credit card is Halifax Clarity (Mastercard). No fees and slightly better exchange rate than Santander debit card ATM transactions.

I have a Santander 'Zero' debit card that allows no fee or commission ATM withdrawals worldwide. It does not avoid third party bank fees (the ATM machine owner) though. These are becoming almost universal fees in Spain and increasingly in Portugal. Supermarket ATMs seem the best for no fee transactions in Portugal. I use the Continente ATM in Faro or Olhao every time we set off for Spain. I don't think the Zero account is currently available to new applicants. It has previously been reintroduced and then withdrawn again. Worth keeping an eye on in case it comes back again.

Cash is also cheap to withdraw using Halifax Clarity credit card, as long as you pay off the balance in full every month.

Hope that helps.

Barrie (Taunton & El Almendro, Huelva)
Old Jun 18th 2020, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

del.Almendro will become famous soon enoughdel.Almendro will become famous soon enough

Banco Popular machines were supposedly being integrated into the main Santander ATM network, but I don't know if that's actually happened yet.

The Ayamonte Santander ATM is fine, although has been known to go out of service occasionally. There used to be another Santander ATM near the SGTH tax office between Laguna Square and the ferry but that got removed some years ago.
Old Jun 19th 2020, 8:10 am
BE Enthusiast

shirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond reputeshirley and anthony hide has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by del.Almendro
Banco Popular machines were supposedly being integrated into the main Santander ATM network, but I don't know if that's actually happened yet.

The Ayamonte Santander ATM is fine, although has been known to go out of service occasionally. There used to be another Santander ATM near the SGTH tax office between Laguna Square and the ferry but that got removed some years ago.

Thanks Barrie for the info, much appreciated. I have a Santander 123 debit card in he UK so will give it a whirl in the Santander ATM in Ayamonte. Perfect for some cash on the hip money. That's the easy part sorted. Now comes the hard part of actually getting back over there!!
Old Jun 21st 2020, 12:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Barrie for the info, much appreciated. I have a Santander 123 debit card in he UK so will give it a whirl in the Santander ATM in Ayamonte. Perfect for some cash on the hip money. That's the easy part sorted. Now comes the hard part of actually getting back over there!!
Not in Ayamonte, but I use Santander and also Halifax clarity card. When getting cash from the Santander ATM ensure that you choose the correct option £'s or euros, otherwise you will incur hefty charges. Even knowing I pressed the wrong button once by mistake and am now very careful
Old Jun 21st 2020, 5:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by johnnyone
Not in Ayamonte, but I use Santander and also Halifax clarity card. When getting cash from the Santander ATM ensure that you choose the correct option £'s or euros, otherwise you will incur hefty charges. Even knowing I pressed the wrong button once by mistake and am now very careful
My option when in Spain would be to obtain Euros from the ATM using my UK debit card. So would press option for euros and hopefully get a Stg equivalent debit on my UK account , without charges and at a decent exchange rate . Is there a button for Stg ? as ATM wouldn't be loaded with pounds would it ? Can I ask you what button is the mistake button ??
Old Jun 21st 2020, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

My option when in Spain would be to obtain Euros from the ATM using my UK debit card. So would press option for euros and hopefully get a Stg equivalent debit on my UK account , without charges and at a decent exchange rate . Is there a button for Stg ? as ATM wouldn't be loaded with pounds would it ? Can I ask you what button is the mistake button ??
Afaik all ATMs in Ayamonte Only give out Euros. The 123 web page tells you which button to use for best exchange rate and no charges. Somewhere in the sequence of screens you have a two choices “No for Euros” (the correct choice) or “No for Sterling” (do not choose). I think it might be something like a shop offering their rate as opposed to the card providers exchange rate and you never take the shop rate Visa etc beats it hands down.