Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Carrying a pocket knife

Carrying a pocket knife

Old Aug 12th 2011, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carrying a pocket knife

Originally Posted by bobd22
To me that shows they did there job well they have the rules for valid reasons which we have seen the outcome of. Most people would innocently carry a pocket knife and yes they can be forgot about in luggage. Howevefr if they ask the question and you say no then it is found I would accept that and not argue.
I don't remember saying there was any argument. He was right, I was wrong, no argument. The conversation was all carried out in Spanish in a very friendly manner, we had a laugh, he almost apologised saying he would have to keep it, and we parted on good terms.
Old Aug 12th 2011, 6:25 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

To me that shows they did there job well they have the rules for valid reasons which we have seen the outcome of. Most people would innocently carry a pocket knife and yes they can be forgot about in luggage. Howevefr if they ask the question and you say no then it is found I would accept that and not argue. Rules for lokcing blades goes abck to the 50's with lock knifes, I think if you are stopped in the uk with a locking blade the type you describe descression would kick in, if one of the rioter types was stopped then he would no doubt not just have it confiscated but would see the inside of a cell for good reason. comment about the nail file and the bottle AGHHH that is wher it falls down bottom line they didn't sell you the nail file but they did the bottle!!! I wouldn't mind so much with that if they at only sold airside in those plastic bottles but they don't.
The huge problem is that these rules are often enforced by jobsworths incapable, or not permitted to use any common sense.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 2:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
The huge problem is that these rules are often enforced by jobsworths incapable, or not permitted to use any common sense.
Agoreira I wasn't implying you had engaged in any argument was just meant as a reply in the wider term. Bil as for jobsworth's they are in all walks of life but problem is what some describe as jobsworths are just people correctly doing a job that the other person disagrees with the other persons decision. They often do jobs where there is a fine line to tread and if a wrong decision is made people are put at risk of harm, they may as result loose their job or themselves end up wrong side of the law, sometimes difficult. As I initially said if rules are not fully known travel without the knife unless there is a particular lawful and pressing need would be my advice.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:06 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Agoreira I wasn't implying you had engaged in any argument was just meant as a reply in the wider term. Bil as for jobsworth's they are in all walks of life but problem is what some describe as jobsworths are just people correctly doing a job that the other person disagrees with the other persons decision. They often do jobs where there is a fine line to tread and if a wrong decision is made people are put at risk of harm, they may as result loose their job or themselves end up wrong side of the law, sometimes difficult. As I initially said if rules are not fully known travel without the knife unless there is a particular lawful and pressing need would be my advice.
Some are indeed as you say, but not all. It's why I used the word 'often'.

I'm sometimes less than impressed at security. As was said before, the fact that glass bottles of spirits are sold post security is ridiculous. Break the bottle, take a long shard, run a bit of duct tape round the wider portion, and you have a deadly weapon.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 4:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
Some are indeed as you say, but not all. It's why I used the word 'often'.

I'm sometimes less than impressed at security. As was said before, the fact that glass bottles of spirits are sold post security is ridiculous. Break the bottle, take a long shard, run a bit of duct tape round the wider portion, and you have a deadly weapon.
Bil we are in agreement re the bottles being sold airside and is more to do with profit than anything else especially when the same product comes in plastic bottles. Is not the quantity of liquid with the liquid explosive they wanted to stop i.e. less than 100ml? which I see in that case why for instance you are not allowed to take a plastic bottle of gin or water bought in eroski, but selling glass bottles air side??? Jobsworths come in every walk of life but when you are talking airport security myself I admit to preferring their approach especialiy in Spain. An instance when I came back last year there was an idiot probably jobs worth passenger with a flight case and holdall as hand luggage. Young Spanish easy jet girl said sir you will have to place the holdall in the case or visa versa as only 1 bag allowed, him who had pushed to front yes yes I'll do it after check in. She said yoiu need to do it before and moved on, few minutes later she came back and politely re explained the same and got the same answer, at which point older spanish lady came along sir step out of the line please him chunter chunter, now sir either put 1 bag in the other or pay baggage and get the next flight! you could see the smile appear on just about every other passengers face as we passed by him to board.
Old Aug 13th 2011, 6:09 pm
bil
Banned

Bil we are in agreement re the bottles being sold airside and is more to do with profit than anything else especially when the same product comes in plastic bottles. Is not the quantity of liquid with the liquid explosive they wanted to stop i.e. less than 100ml? which I see in that case why for instance you are not allowed to take a plastic bottle of gin or water bought in eroski, but selling glass bottles air side??? Jobsworths come in every walk of life but when you are talking airport security myself I admit to preferring their approach especialiy in Spain. An instance when I came back last year there was an idiot probably jobs worth passenger with a flight case and holdall as hand luggage. Young Spanish easy jet girl said sir you will have to place the holdall in the case or visa versa as only 1 bag allowed, him who had pushed to front yes yes I'll do it after check in. She said yoiu need to do it before and moved on, few minutes later she came back and politely re explained the same and got the same answer, at which point older spanish lady came along sir step out of the line please him chunter chunter, now sir either put 1 bag in the other or pay baggage and get the next flight! you could see the smile appear on just about every other passengers face as we passed by him to board.
Yeah, I usually wait to board with a bag and a carrier bag with my inflight stuff, water bottle, book, whatever. If they say to me, 'Put one in the other' I smile and say, If I do, then I will block the aisle for five minutes while I take this out of the bag again. Your call.' It will fit, it will be within the weight. I'm trying to be helpful so I don't keep people waiting.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 3:46 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Carried one in GB for years, used it for peeling my daily apple, still have one, locking type ,in the front of the car how else do you peel fruit. I suppose I had better put it in the boot.

Graham
Old Aug 14th 2011, 5:24 pm
bil
Banned

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Carried one in GB for years, used it for peeling my daily apple, still have one, locking type ,in the front of the car how else do you peel fruit. I suppose I had better put it in the boot.

Graham
Gray, I doubt you would be seen by any police force as being much of a threat to law 'n order.

HOWEVER, in the UK, a lockknife is seen as a more serious matter, and you would need to justify why you were carrying that when a non locking knife would do.
Old Aug 14th 2011, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bil
Gray, I doubt you would be seen by any police force as being much of a threat to law 'n order.

HOWEVER, in the UK, a lockknife is seen as a more serious matter, and you would need to justify why you were carrying that when a non locking knife would do.
blame the Teddy boys lol