Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Carnaval Is Here!!!!!!!!

Carnaval Is Here!!!!!!!!

Old Feb 16th 2007, 10:08 am
Welsh Ambassador to Spain

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute
Default Carnaval Is Here!!!!!!!!

Signal the start of a week of hedonism and general boozing for no real reason!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (no different to the rest of the year really!!!)

For those not lucky enough to be in the Canaries or in Cadiz - the two big areas for Carnaval in Spain - there's plenty of celebrations going on around the country, although it tends to be celebrated more so in Andalucia than other areas.

For those in the Ayamonte/Cartaya/Huelva region, may I recommend Isla Cristina. This is often referred top as the most important venue outside of Cadiz on the Peninsula (Canaries by far the most important) but I've always found this to be a rather spurious assertion. Nevertheless it is big and it's starting to look like high season again what with all the Sevillanos, Madrileños, Extremeños etc occupying all the available parking spaces!! Grrrrrr!!!!!! Will have to use the garage for the next week!!!

This year is promising to be bigger than ever - blooming typical that in an election year the council goes wild!! After tomorrow's Grand Final of the Theatrical perfomances, the streets, bars & street bars will be crammed with people in Fancy Dress, partying to well into Sunday when at around 16.30 the big parade begins.

It starts off the Punta del Caiman, coming up the lower half of Gran Via (Avda F. Silva Muñoz) before going down the Avenida Parque. Lasts for hours and there's loads of floats (couldn't give you an exact number but last year there were well over 30!).

Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, banks etc work only until around 12 noon and many shops only open in the mornings. The afternoon is more for the kids with various mini-processions of kids groups in their costumes.

On Ash Wednesday there's the procession of the Widows (Viudas) and La Gran Sardina (a huge papier-mache sardine. Some widows take it seriously but there's also a number of blokes in drag too. They take the Sardine through the town down to the beach at Punta del Caiman and put it on a bonfire before the big firework display begins. Then, all back to the main Carnaval tent for the rest of the night - and it will be a big binge this year becasue the council (in another vote-grabbing move) have moved one of the local festivals to the Thursday giving all Isleños the chance to nurse their hangovers.

Wherever you celebrate, enjoy it.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Carnaval Is Here!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by Fortaleza
Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday, banks etc work only until around 12 noon and many shops only open in the mornings. The afternoon is more for the kids with various mini-processions of kids groups in their costumes.

On Ash Wednesday there's the procession of the Widows (Viudas) and La Gran Sardina (a huge papier-mache sardine. Some widows take it seriously but there's also a number of blokes in drag too. They take the Sardine through the town down to the beach at Punta del Caiman and put it on a bonfire before the big firework display begins. Then, all back to the main Carnaval tent for the rest of the night - and it will be a big binge this year becasue the council (in another vote-grabbing move) have moved one of the local festivals to the Thursday giving all Isleños the chance to nurse their hangovers.

Wherever you celebrate, enjoy it.
Hi Fortaleza,

We will be staying at the RIU from Tuesday so might pop across on the ferry on Wednesday since parking is impossible, do you know how late he runs back from Cristina?

Regards,

John.

</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>
Old Feb 16th 2007, 11:56 am
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carnaval Is Here!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the info about the Carnaval - sounds like fun!

Makes me feel a bit nostalgic for the famous Bridgwater Carnival circuit that takes place in Somerset every November. Something about the cold and dark that made it even more fun!
For anyone who's interested, click on this link: http://www.somersetcarnivals.co.uk/
Our local club was "Shambles" and they had a lot more success than their name suggests!

Back to the Spanish Carnaval.....about an hour ago, I was out in the sunshine in the Plaza taking photos of the local village children, who'd come to show everyone their Carnaval outfits
The entire school consists of no more than 20 children, aged between 3 and 11 - all very cute, of course!
This year's theme was "primavera" and they were all sporting fruit and flowers on their outfits!

Enjoy all the festivities, Fortaleza!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:09 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=brisca;4411780]
Makes me feel a bit nostalgic for the famous Bridgwater Carnival circuit that takes place in Somerset every November. Something about the cold and dark that made it even more fun!
For anyone who's interested, click on this link: http://www.somersetcarnivals.co.uk/
Our local club was "Shambles" and they had a lot more success than their name suggests!

Went to the Bridgewater Carnival many years ago with family that live in Tiverton, had a great time the kids were thrilled to bits and have to say there certainly is something about standing there in the dark and cold, all wrapped up snugly warm. I had forgot all about it until you mentioned it. Thank you for bringing back some cherished memories for me. Red for Carnival theam...

Last edited by crispy; Feb 16th 2007 at 2:12 pm.
Old Feb 16th 2007, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

The top places for Carnival in order are : Cadiz, Canary Islands, Madrid.Sitges, Ciudad Rodrigo & The Balaerics
Old Feb 16th 2007, 4:09 pm

Fortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond reputeFortaleza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big_john
The top places for Carnival in order are : Cadiz, Canary Islands, Madrid.Sitges, Ciudad Rodrigo & The Balaerics

I beg to differ - strongly!!!!!!. The Cadiz Carnaval is NOT bigger than the Canaries. Just turn on your TV today (avoiding Sky channels obviously) and you'll see. MADRID third?????? Please do tell - the Madrid Carnaval celebrations. Where exactly are they held??????? Where is the hub of the action????? Seems that I and my Madrileña wife must have missed it all these years. Sitges does indeed celebrate Carnaval quite vigourously but in a slightly, ahem, polite-cough-smiley, 'different' way. Ciudad Rodrigo - lord only knows.

I did point out my scepticism regarding the claim that Isla Cristina's Carnaval is claimed to be the most important on the peninsula outside Cadiz (the Canaries being head and shoulders above anything else). However, in the list that you proferred - given that Madrid does not even celebrate Carnaval bar a couple of community organised events, and the Sitges one is popular principally amongst a certain group of people Europe-wide - I would put Isla third there easily. You'd have been more convincing - Madrid aside - had you suggested that one of the other Andalucian city's Carnaval like, say, Malaga or Granada etc....

Of course, you could be confusing the issue of Carnaval for any kind of festival which would explain the Madrid comment
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Big_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really niceBig_john is just really nice

I beg to differ - strongly!!!!!!. The Cadiz Carnaval is NOT bigger than the Canaries. Just turn on your TV today (avoiding Sky channels obviously) and you'll see. MADRID third?????? Please do tell - the Madrid Carnaval celebrations. Where exactly are they held??????? Where is the hub of the action????? Seems that I and my Madrileña wife must have missed it all these years. Sitges does indeed celebrate Carnaval quite vigourously but in a slightly, ahem, polite-cough-smiley, 'different' way. Ciudad Rodrigo - lord only knows.

I did point out my scepticism regarding the claim that Isla Cristina's Carnaval is claimed to be the most important on the peninsula outside Cadiz (the Canaries being head and shoulders above anything else). However, in the list that you proferred - given that Madrid does not even celebrate Carnaval bar a couple of community organised events, and the Sitges one is popular principally amongst a certain group of people Europe-wide - I would put Isla third there easily. You'd have been more convincing - Madrid aside - had you suggested that one of the other Andalucian city's Carnaval like, say, Malaga or Granada etc....

Of course, you could be confusing the issue of Carnaval for any kind of festival which would explain the Madrid comment
Check out Google
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:40 pm

Check out Google
Check out experience
Old Feb 16th 2007, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

I had lived in Malaga province from 1989 until 3yrs ago then moved to North Spain, but alway's remember that virtually everyone would alway's go to Cadiz for Carnival

But I don't think that you can class Malaga & especially Granada in the Carnival category as its is pretty dead, but as you say Carnival in Sitges is well worth a visit albeit different ... but good fun
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:08 pm

Hi,

I had lived in Malaga province from 1989 until 3yrs ago then moved to North Spain, but alway's remember that virtually everyone would alway's go to Cadiz for Carnival

But I don't think that you can class Malaga & especially Granada in the Carnival category as its is pretty dead, but as you say Carnival in Sitges is well worth a visit albeit different ... but good fun

Cadiz is great fun.....but it's the poor relation of the Canaries and because people can't get there they choose Cádiz which is more accessible. The Sitges 'Carnaval' is something entirely different in that it doesn't really purport (at least not these days) to follow the full traditions of Carnaval just honing in on the particular part that relates well to people of that lifestyle choice. Ash Wednesday is virtually ignored and, if memory serves, it is just the Tuesday that they really go to town with the partying for what they term Damas - basically a big drag-queen-fest.

The reason for mentioning Malaga & Granada was more to point out that there really is no Carnaval spirit in Madrid - hence the fact that many come south for these days. I would suggest that, dead as Malaga & Granada may be during Carnaval, there is certainly more spirit to be found there than in Madrid.

But hey....I'm having a ball here. One of the perks me and the missus have here is that we'll hardly pay a penny this next week in the various bars, carpas etc... Can't knock that!!!!
Old Feb 16th 2007, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Cadiz is great fun.....but it's the poor relation of the Canaries and because people can't get there they choose Cádiz which is more accessible. The Sitges 'Carnaval' is something entirely different in that it doesn't really purport (at least not these days) to follow the full traditions of Carnaval just honing in on the particular part that relates well to people of that lifestyle choice. Ash Wednesday is virtually ignored and, if memory serves, it is just the Tuesday that they really go to town with the partying for what they term Damas - basically a big drag-queen-fest.

The reason for mentioning Malaga & Granada was more to point out that there really is no Carnaval spirit in Madrid - hence the fact that many come south for these days. I would suggest that, dead as Malaga & Granada may be during Carnaval, there is certainly more spirit to be found there than in Madrid.

But hey....I'm having a ball here. One of the perks me and the missus have here is that we'll hardly pay a penny this next week in the various bars, carpas etc... Can't knock that!!!!
Too right m8,

Y buena suerte en la semana proxima, es en mi suenos para la futora otra vez con mi familia español en Estepona.

Saludos
Old Feb 16th 2007, 8:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

brisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond reputebrisca has a reputation beyond repute

Went to the Bridgewater Carnival many years ago with family that live in Tiverton, had a great time the kids were thrilled to bits and have to say there certainly is something about standing there in the dark and cold, all wrapped up snugly warm. I had forgot all about it until you mentioned it. Thank you for bringing back some cherished memories for me. Red for Carnival theam...[/QUOTE]

Hi Crispygirl,

Very glad to help bring back some cherished memories for you!

There's definitely a very unique atmosphere at these carnivals, isn't there?
Am looking forward to being able to experience the Spanish Carnaval, one of these days too.
Old Feb 18th 2007, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Carnaval is here in GALICIA as well now and all Tapas are now starting off with Orejas & para cenar es la cara de cerdo typico de Galicia con grelos y un botella de ribeira o otra vino
Old Feb 18th 2007, 5:44 pm

Carnaval is here in GALICIA as well now and all Tapas are now starting off with Orejas & para cenar es la cara de cerdo typico de Galicia con grelos y un botella de ribeira o otra vino
Tipico - con la 'i' latina y una botella es femenina, y si tu vino es masculino, pues tambien el adjetivo - otro vino, o posiblemente si quieres otra botella de vino

But having said all that it makes kind of a mockery of the correct grammar nonsense thread posted by Chandra (??) earlier.

Still, I'm in between sessions at the moment. Overdid the beer last night and lunchtime, so could only manage the first part of the parade. Back out now to see it coming in. Then more beer. Long Live my Liver!!!!!