Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

care after discharge from hospital

care after discharge from hospital

Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:01 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: care after discharge from hospital

Originally Posted by cricketman
The Spanish have something called Extended Families, a concept that may have disappeared from the UK

When my wife's uncle was in hospital, the brothers/sisters, sons/daughters, cousins, nephews/nieces etc all took turns being in hospital to look after him

The positives are that the ill person feels loved - and it keeps costs down in the health service. The Spanish health service is excellent at very little spend per patient, a third less than in the UK, less than half that of the US
did the UK ever have Extended Families ?? - not in my lifetime, but that has always been covered by the NHS. Perhaps why it is so expensive to run, but then when my father was in hospital most of the work, running round etc was carried out by Auxiliaries, few of which could speak English, who were supposed to get a Real Nurse in case of difficulties. Real Nurses seemed to always be busy doing something but never saw what as it wasnt with the patients in their ward.

the only way to get full care would perhaps to have some form of insurance - is that actually available ?? And what level is it ??

`
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:16 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

There is Age Concern Spain who may be able to give advice

http://acespana.org/
Old Feb 25th 2013, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
The Spanish health system seems to get much praise in these forums, but this is one side that always seems a bit weird to me. Friends of ours, the husband had quite a serious operation in Granada, and the wife was more or less expected to be there all the time to see to his needs. As they lived a good hour away, it's was pretty much a full time job for her. What happens when the only relative is working? Give up work? There are bound to be circumstances when it is very difficult for a family member to be there.
I agree it must be very hard on the family, especially if you have only a partner and no other family in Spain - but at least it is an open and honest expectation and everybody knows where they stand from the outset. In the NHS personal care is supposed to be provided on the wards, but as everyone must know by now there have been and continue to be hundreds, no thousands, of cases where patients have not received the most basic of care, with food being dumped in front of them and taken away uneaten, not given water to drink, expected to soil their beds and lie in their own waste because a HCA or nurse either doesn't have time or can't be bothered to take them to the toilet. When my father was in hospital I couldn't be on the ward outside visiting time but would arrive to find him with food spilt down the front of his pyjamas as no one had helped him eat (after a stroke) and each day a plastic bag of urine soaked pyjamas shoved in his bedside locker which either my sister or I had to take home to wash.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 12:25 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lynn R
I agree it must be very hard on the family, especially if you have only a partner and no other family in Spain - but at least it is an open and honest expectation and everybody knows where they stand from the outset. In the NHS personal care is supposed to be provided on the wards, but as everyone must know by now there have been and continue to be hundreds, no thousands, of cases where patients have not received the most basic of care, with food being dumped in front of them and taken away uneaten, not given water to drink, expected to soil their beds and lie in their own waste because a HCA or nurse either doesn't have time or can't be bothered to take them to the toilet. When my father was in hospital I couldn't be on the ward outside visiting time but would arrive to find him with food spilt down the front of his pyjamas as no one had helped him eat (after a stroke) and each day a plastic bag of urine soaked pyjamas shoved in his bedside locker which either my sister or I had to take home to wash.
Not sure whether it is standard in all hospitals in Spain but where my husband was they provided pyjamas, towels and soap sponges so no worries on that score.

Rosemary
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosemary
Not sure whether it is standard in all hospitals in Spain but where my husband was they provided pyjamas, towels and soap sponges so no worries on that score.

Rosemary
I don't know if what I described is standard in all hospitals in the UK either (I hope not) but we certainly had to provide all the towels he used, taking the dirty ones home to wash, and sponges too. My brother used to help my Dad take a shower when he visited after work as otherwise only his face and hands got washed in the morning. One evening he took my Dad to the bathroom and found there was human faeces in the shower tray, so got him out of there asap. The nursing staff were sitting in the dayroom on a break so my brother went in and reported it, they said they would get someone to clean it up, and "oh, that'll be Fred, he's always doing that". It was still there an hour later at the end of visiting time. And then people wonder why patients get hospital acquired infections.

With regard to the personal laundry issue that isn't an isolated case as I read of the same thing having routinely happened in the report on the care failings in Mid Staffs that was published a few weeks ago.
And my father's case wasn't unusual in that hospital either. He was there in 2007, here are more reports of substandard care from 2008, 2011 and 2012:-

https://www.patientopinion.org.uk/opinions/8559

[url]http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8328470/Daughter-of-man-failed-by-NHS-describes-disgraceful-care.html[/url

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/local/9926827.Great_grandmother____was_neglected_in_hosp ital___/?ref=nt

Last edited by Lynn R; Feb 26th 2013 at 1:59 am.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:31 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if what I described is standard in all hospitals in the UK either (I hope not) but we certainly had to provide all the towels he used, taking the dirty ones home to wash, and sponges too. My brother used to help my Dad take a shower when he visited after work as otherwise only his face and hands got washed in the morning. One evening he took my Dad to the bathroom and found there was human faeces in the shower tray, so got him out of there asap. The nursing staff were sitting in the dayroom on a break so my brother went in and reported it, they said they would get someone to clean it up, and "oh, that'll be Fred, he's always doing that". It was still there an hour later at the end of visiting time. And then people wonder why patients get hospital acquired infections.

With regard to the personal laundry issue that isn't an isolated case as I read of the same thing having routinely happened in the report on the care failings in Mid Staffs that was published a few weeks ago.
and this is in the NHS environment where they try to tell us so many good things about the care and attention "lavished" on patients. At 3-4 times the cost of Spains hospitals.

my old hospital they are having rows about the nursing staff and smoking, causing a small eco disaster by the front door. seems the poor dears couldnt walk too far and have had to have a shelter built for them.
as one commentator said, I don't mind a nurse telling me my BMI is bordering on the obese - but when she is 3 times the size of me and reeks of cigarette smoke !?!
Old Feb 26th 2013, 1:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dianne63
i wonder if anyone can me and my sister, our mum is in hospital at the moment, very poorly, we are being helped by her partner and his family, but things are getting heated between us all, we dont understand how things work in hospital in spain, how they will manage when she comes home is there any care avaiable to look after her is it down to family to look after them. they live near motril. any advice greatly apriceated.
Sorry you are having such a worrying time. I did a Google search to see if I could find any services that might be able to help you and came up with this:-
http://www.carehomeinspain.com/

They say they have a residential care home close to Salobrena and also offer a home care service, but whether it would be available where your Mum lives, I'm not sure. It could be worth enquiring, at least.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
There is Age Concern Spain who may be able to give advice

http://acespana.org/
I was going to suggest them too:

"Our national network of volunteers visit individuals at home where the situation is such that it requires direct intervention. They provide practical advice and where necessary will try to source financial support. We help those suffering from isolation, ill health and poverty.

We do not provide direct care services, but our caseworkers will help you understand the options available to you via the Spanish state, local organisations and privately."
Old Feb 26th 2013, 3:51 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca
I was going to suggest them too:

"Our national network of volunteers visit individuals at home where the situation is such that it requires direct intervention. They provide practical advice and where necessary will try to source financial support. We help those suffering from isolation, ill health and poverty.

We do not provide direct care services, but our caseworkers will help you understand the options available to you via the Spanish state, local organisations and privately."
Going down the Spanish route is a complete waste of time.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...=762339&page=4
Old Feb 26th 2013, 6:09 am
VFR
BE Forum Addict

VFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond reputeVFR has a reputation beyond repute

My recent experience .........

Friend was in Hospital in the Valencia region for about three weeks & his wife could not get there as she cannot drive/public transport etc.
Care was given to him 24/7 and wife visited for a hour or so each day via my car.
He needs rehab twice a week at the same hospital so the TNA ambulance picks him up from home & brings him back.

No drama & all staff helpful as the situation allows.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:02 am
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by playamonte
My recent experience .........

Friend was in Hospital in the Valencia region for about three weeks & his wife could not get there as she cannot drive/public transport etc.
Care was given to him 24/7 and wife visited for a hour or so each day via my car.
He needs rehab twice a week at the same hospital so the TNA ambulance picks him up from home & brings him back.

No drama & all staff helpful as the situation allows.
my experience too

when my late husband was in hospital here fpr a week years ago, & my children were much younger I couldn't leave them - also can't drive so had to rely upon someone to take me there for an hour or so a day while they were at school

the staff were totally understanding & did everything for him as required

when my dad was in hospital here a couple of years ago, I DID stay with him 24/7, & gave him medication, made sure he didn't pull his oxygen mask off etc., but HE didn't want me washing him or giving him bed baths, so the staff again, did that for him
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Here their approach to the 'family becoming involved' to be applauded or criticised?

Before I get shouted down and equally before I compare and contrast but there is a huge amount of preventative medicine here in France and after operations one goes to centres on the coast to get better.

General feeling seems to be in this post that this is one of the downsides of living in a 'fine' country. I wonder to be again opening this question up what defines a 'fine' country.

With my wife I am coming to Spain and quite obviously will make up my own mind and based against previous experience.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
The Spanish have something called Extended Families, a concept that may have disappeared from the UK

When my wife's uncle was in hospital, the brothers/sisters, sons/daughters, cousins, nephews/nieces etc all took turns being in hospital to look after him

The positives are that the ill person feels loved - and it keeps costs down in the health service. The Spanish health service is excellent at very little spend per patient, a third less than in the UK, less than half that of the US
Cricket man that just manifests itself in a question. How can one be excellent at 'very little spend per patient' That does not make sense. Better definition perhaps 'very little post operative spend per patient'

A third less than the Uk and half that of the US. Therefore if you were to dissect your comment it leads one to believe that the Spanish Govt does not support its Health Service to the extent of the UK or the US. And of course the US is insurance based. I am sure you do not mean that?
Old Feb 26th 2013, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

bob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond reputebob_bob has a reputation beyond repute

Your talking about the NHS from personal experience or the horror stories you read in the Mail or the Sun.

Stupid and ill-informed posts like yours make my boil to be honest.

Bob
Retired Ward Manager
NHS.
Old Feb 26th 2013, 7:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Your talking about the NHS from personal experience or the horror stories you read in the Mail or the Sun.

Stupid and ill-informed posts like yours make my boil to be honest.

Bob
Retired Ward Manager
NHS.
I wonder how long since you retired Bob? maybe things have gone downhill since?
I just came out of hospital after an operation - first time ever as an in patient - and the stories certainly resonated with me. Whereas the day staff were fantastic and did what they could they were understaffed and overstretched. The night staff were dreadful. They paid little or no attention or care for their patients - chatting loudly and drinking coffee with their mates right through the night. One poor lad was admitted with severe pain (which turned out to be peritonitis) and when he refused a needle because he was phobic, they just gave him paracetemol and left him to groan all night - no doctor called. They forgot to turn the lights down so that the patients could sleep - I had to get up and turn them down myself. They left an unattended monitor alarm beeping for hours until I had to call out to have it silenced. I went to the toilet one night and my canula came out of my hand and sprayed blood around the room - it was still there next morning!! The nurse seemed incapable of reinserting my canula so she stuck a bandage over the wound and left me without any pain relief until morning. I filled in the hospitals questionnaire with copiuous notes - but have heard absolutely nothing since. The trouble is I need another op soon, fortunately not in the same hospital - so I'll be able to judge whether the malaise is endemic.

Note: this is first hand account and not something written in the DM.

PS: Sorry this is a off topic but there are parts of the NHS which are indefensible and I needed a rant.

Last edited by MikeJ; Feb 26th 2013 at 7:26 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.