Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car tax in Spain - voluntary?

Car tax in Spain - voluntary?

Old Dec 27th 2013, 10:24 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car tax in Spain - voluntary?

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
yes, car tax is voluntary ... but if you are driving about why not pay towards the roads that you are driving on?

p*sses me off when people drive about all year and pay nothing.

Of course it's NOT!

It's like any other tax, you can choose not to pay it but then you face the legal consequences!
Old Dec 29th 2013, 9:20 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fyfin
I keep hearing that you don't need to worry about car tax in Spain on a Spanish registered vehicle until you actually come to sell it when you can then (or the buyer) pay the lot from previous years.
I also hear no reminders are sent out when I have just received my first reminder having purchased a new car last year.

What I'm not sure about is whether you face the risk of a fine if you do not pay your annual fee to the local town hall as I intend to do every year as I have always intended to do things legally irrespective of which country I live in or how good the authorities are at collecting the taxes.

There is no much misinformation around and it would be good if someone here knew the legal position regarding this tax.
You should ignore BS talked in the pub.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 2:58 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

I keep hearing that you don't need to worry about car tax in Spain on a Spanish registered vehicle until you actually come to sell it when you can then (or the buyer) pay the lot from previous years.
I also hear no reminders are sent out when I have just received my first reminder having purchased a new car last year.

What I'm not sure about is whether you face the risk of a fine if you do not pay your annual fee to the local town hall as I intend to do every year as I have always intended to do things legally irrespective of which country I live in or how good the authorities are at collecting the taxes.

There is no much misinformation around and it would be good if someone here knew the legal position regarding this tax.
Depends on the region. Here in Mallorca they don't send out reminders or make any attempt to collect. You are supposed to go to the office and ask if you owe anything. If you never ask, they never collect, until of course, you try to sell it, at which time all back taxes and penalties must be paid up.

If you have the car disposed of, they don't check back taxes, so you never have to pay, and they never collect.

At least not yet.. But I reckon they'll figure that out soon. Most important thing nowadays is to get cash. Wherever they can, from whoever might have some.
Old Dec 29th 2013, 5:51 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Most important thing nowadays is to get cash. Wherever they can, from whoever might have some.
Congratulations on post of the year.

You've pretty well summed up the current Govt's. financial policy in a few brief words.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Of course it's NOT!

It's like any other tax, you can choose not to pay it but then you face the legal consequences!
there arnt any. its a town imposed tax, not a hacienda one.

like it says below - if its not paid they dont really chase you - when you come to sell it you have to pay the taxes up to date or you cant get a new "permiso de circulation".

its like not paying your basura or sewage. it will just mount up until you bring it to their attention - it is just a bill that they add interest onto.
Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

malagaman is an unknown quantity at this point

Not true, it is followed up. We had our bank account embargoed for non payment of road tax on a car we sold to a dealer in the November which wasn't re-sold and registered to the new owner until February the following year and because I was the registered owner on Jan 1st I was liable, it does and will happen
Old Jan 1st 2014, 6:43 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by malagaman
Not true, it is followed up. We had our bank account embargoed for non payment of road tax on a car we sold to a dealer in the November which wasn't re-sold and registered to the new owner until February the following year and because I was the registered owner on Jan 1st I was liable, it does and will happen
surely the owner is/was the dealer

unless you didn't inform Traffico
Old Jan 1st 2014, 8:13 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

If you buy a new car then the dealer is responsible for the road tax for the remaining part of the year. It is registered with your local Ayuntamiento in your name and you will automatically be charged road tax on it from the start of the following year.

If you don't pay it you will be fined and face the possibility of an embargo on your property.

If you get away with that you will have to pay it when you sell it.
Old Jan 2nd 2014, 8:24 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
there arnt any. its a town imposed tax, not a hacienda one.

like it says below - if its not paid they dont really chase you - when you come to sell it you have to pay the taxes up to date or you cant get a new "permiso de circulation".

its like not paying your basura or sewage. it will just mount up until you bring it to their attention - it is just a bill that they add interest onto.
I agree it's a local tax but there are still legal ramifications.

It's just like you don't need to pay your IBI - it just gets added when the property gets sold. However, if they do make enquiries, then you are breaking the law and consequences (fines, embargoes) will be applied.
Old May 9th 2014, 3:48 pm
Just Joined

John Vanneste is an unknown quantity at this point

Mister Fyfin

I'm a registered Belgian accountant 'IPCF', and had a sad experience with Spanish car tax.
Belgian company had a luckily small car Opel Zafira matriculated in Spain, but brought the car back to Belgian, where it was matriculated in May 2005 and where Belgian Road Tax was paid.

In 2013, car was already sold, the Belgian company received a payment card for the car tax for the years 2010,2011,2012,2013! Corporate Governance?
A complaint was introduced in Spanish*, and the Belgian got the answer on the complaint, totaly overruled.

*Adjunto les remito la notificación que nuestra empresa ha recibido por supuestos impuestos impagados sobre la circulación de uno de nuestros coches de empresa.

Se nos reclama el impuesto de tracción mecánica de 4 años consecutivos, 2010, 2011, 2012 y 2013. Sin embargo, este vehículo, con matrícula 5681CPT, está fuera de la circulación en España desde hace más de 8 años, por lo cual, esta notificación ha sido una sorpresa.

El vehículo fue trasladado a Bélgica en marzo del 2005 y se dio de alta allí en mayo del 2005. Adjunto les remito el certificado de inscripción en Bélgica con fecha del 18/05/2005. Pueden comprobar el n° de bastidor (WOLOTGF7532103386 (01)).

Ruego nos indiquen si necesitan algún otro documento de nuestra parte.

Quedamos a la espera de su respuesta.

Old May 9th 2014, 3:58 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by John Vanneste
Mister Fyfin

I'm a registered Belgian accountant 'IPCF', and had a sad experience with Spanish car tax.
Belgian company had a luckily small car Opel Zafira matriculated in Spain, but brought the car back to Belgian, where it was matriculated in May 2005 and where Belgian Road Tax was paid.

In 2013, car was already sold, the Belgian company received a payment card for the car tax for the years 2010,2011,2012,2013! Corporate Governance?
A complaint was introduced in Spanish*, and the Belgian got the answer on the complaint, totaly overruled.

*Adjunto les remito la notificación que nuestra empresa ha recibido por supuestos impuestos impagados sobre la circulación de uno de nuestros coches de empresa.

Se nos reclama el impuesto de tracción mecánica de 4 años consecutivos, 2010, 2011, 2012 y 2013. Sin embargo, este vehículo, con matrícula 5681CPT, está fuera de la circulación en España desde hace más de 8 años, por lo cual, esta notificación ha sido una sorpresa.

El vehículo fue trasladado a Bélgica en marzo del 2005 y se dio de alta allí en mayo del 2005. Adjunto les remito el certificado de inscripción en Bélgica con fecha del 18/05/2005. Pueden comprobar el n° de bastidor (WOLOTGF7532103386 (01)).

Just goes to show the importance of exporting the vehicle correctly
Old May 9th 2014, 7:40 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John Vanneste
Mister Fyfin

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old May 22nd 2014, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Cats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant futureCats-R-Us has a brilliant future

Before we moved to Spain around 14 years ago, a work colleague had a Spanish friend staying with her. She asked him whether there was a car tax similar to the UK road fund licence to pay and he said no. I didn't believe it as a friend living in Spain had assured me that there was a tax she paid to the Ayuntamiento each year. I think there was a misunderstanding due to the language/translation. In the UK it is a government thing whereas in Spain, as has been said, it is a local tax and uses a different name. When we lived in Alicante Province we couldn't pay it before September whereas where we are now we pay it in May. In both cases it covered the year from Jan to Dec.