Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car tax in Spain - voluntary?

Car tax in Spain - voluntary?

Old Oct 16th 2013, 9:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car tax in Spain - voluntary?

[QUOTE][/QUIt varies from place to place, but here, they never send out notices. Never.
OTE]

Sorry but we get reminders yearly for our cars, so maybe some areas do have reminders and some dont, and yes you will be fined if you dont pay, well certainly here you will be.. We have friends whose son left his car here didnt tax it and he was done for the back tax and then % on top.

Ours is due around May time. oh and here it is much cheaper tan UK, our Discovery is 121€
Old Oct 16th 2013, 10:48 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Some places never send out tax collection bills (like Mallorca), but if you sell the car, all back taxes must be paid. So a lot of people just keep the car till it dies, and de-register it when they crush it, and never pay the tax.
Old Oct 18th 2013, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

We get reminders once a year for car tax addressed to the previous owner of our house, he took his car back to Germany when he left Spain nearly 5 years ago, they do chase it, we have the Correos girl turn up at our gate asking for him with registered post for car tax, we tell her he's gone back, she puts a note on the envelop and takes it back, it's unusual in we have a post box so never get mail at the house
Old Dec 15th 2013, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

aggie2347 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have just brought my Spanish registered car back to the UK and I am in the process of putting it on UK plates. My road tax is up to date but I will need to stop any further payments. Will the DVLA inform the Spanish authorities or do I need to take steps to do it myself? If so can anyone give me a clue and what forms to use and where to send them in Spain, or can it be done on line? Cheers aggie
Old Dec 15th 2013, 4:09 pm
Banned

crookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond reputecrookesey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
It depends where you live.

I pay €140 a year for a 1.9 litre diesel! It would be less in the UK.
Just sold the wife's Audi A3 1.9 tdi, I'm sure that the road tax cost £125.00, so no real difference.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 5:38 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

On the other hand I have just replaced it with a 40% more powerful petrol version which costs nothing to tax in the UK for the first year and the Spanish tax is only 40% of what I was paying for the less powerful diesel.

Also the Spanish matriculation tax was zero as opposed to €600 for the old diesel.

The EU emissions regulations are really having a big effect on new car emissions.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 5:47 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aggie2347
I have just brought my Spanish registered car back to the UK and I am in the process of putting it on UK plates. My road tax is up to date but I will need to stop any further payments. Will the DVLA inform the Spanish authorities or do I need to take steps to do it myself? If so can anyone give me a clue and what forms to use and where to send them in Spain, or can it be done on line? Cheers aggie
Hola

Yes you need to do it yourself; you need to inform your Ayuntamiento or they will be chasing you for money for evermore. You also need to Baja the car at Trafico. And you need to inform your insurance company in Spain

Davexf
Old Dec 15th 2013, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Altea embargoed our bank account when I forgot to pay. I don't know if any other towns are that efficient.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 6:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks dxf you are a star. I would never have thought to inform the insurance. Talking about insurance I am insured with Linea Directa but Direct Line will not except my Spanish no claims bonus, any ideas? aggie
Old Dec 15th 2013, 7:02 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

They´re the same company but different countries. I´d try another company, perhaps an insurance broker. If you get no claims discount then go back to Direct Line and say other companies are prepared to give you x% discount (don´t mention a figure) and ask if they´ll match it or even better it.

Davexf
Old Dec 15th 2013, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

cheers mate I will give it a try my Grandaughter has just told me that she seen somewhere that Admiral will take note of Spanish No Claims Bonus. aggie.
Old Dec 15th 2013, 7:39 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hi

My pleasure, but do come back and tell us how you got on

Davexf
Old Dec 15th 2013, 8:32 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

They´re the same company but different countries.

Davexf
No they are not. They are now totally separate companies which possibly explains why they don't accept NCB claims.

Last edited by Fred James; Dec 15th 2013 at 8:35 pm.
Old Dec 16th 2013, 9:09 pm
Just Joined

I contacted Admiral Insurance and they said that they would take account of my Spanish no claims bonus as long as it is in English. So that's a good result. Linea Directa documents are always in English so there does not appear to be a problem for me. aggie
Old Dec 26th 2013, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

yes, car tax is voluntary ... but if you are driving about why not pay towards the roads that you are driving on?

p*sses me off when people drive about all year and pay nothing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.