Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

car tax in spain

car tax in spain

Old Aug 22nd 2013, 9:47 am
Just Joined

oldmantel is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up car tax in spain

When i moved to Spain 3 years ago i was a bit green with regards to the laws about car tax, so i bought my first car about 2 months after moving over here,but it was not long before it broke, as it was going to cost more to repair than i had paid for it. I gave it to a white van man who did a job for me, he said it was going to scrap it, as i said i was a bit green so i gave him all the paperwork for the car, now checking my bank account i find i am still paying tax for that car,i cant remember the guys name or anything about him so i cant contact him, How do i stop paying for the tax on a car i no longer own?
Please anybody out there can you HELP|
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 11:42 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car tax in spain

Originally Posted by oldmantel
When i moved to Spain 3 years ago i was a bit green with regards to the laws about car tax, so i bought my first car about 2 months after moving over here,but it was not long before it broke, as it was going to cost more to repair than i had paid for it. I gave it to a white van man who did a job for me, he said it was going to scrap it, as i said i was a bit green so i gave him all the paperwork for the car, now checking my bank account i find i am still paying tax for that car,i cant remember the guys name or anything about him so i cant contact him, How do i stop paying for the tax on a car i no longer own?
Please anybody out there can you HELP|
You have to go to traffico to fill in the necessary form to show it has been scrapped. Otherwise you will continue to get tax bills for it, and once received they wont rescind it, I can assure you
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 12:28 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
You have to go to traffico to fill in the necessary form to show it has been scrapped. Otherwise you will continue to get tax bills for it, and once received they wont rescind it, I can assure you
Here, there are many places where you can just call them to come and get it. They show up with a grua, you sign a form (and get a paper proving it's been scrapped). They take it, dismantle it, keep/sell the parts worth selling, scrap the rest, AND do all the traffico paperwork. Free of charge.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 1:12 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
Here, there are many places where you can just call them to come and get it. They show up with a grua, you sign a form (and get a paper proving it's been scrapped). They take it, dismantle it, keep/sell the parts worth selling, scrap the rest, AND do all the traffico paperwork. Free of charge.
Yes, but they clearly didn't on this occasion unfortunately for the OP
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

You'll have something worse than car tax to worry about if he has an accident in that car, injuring or killing someone, or incurs traffic fines, as you will be liable.It sounds as if the transfer into his name wasn't done properly and it's still registered in your name. See a Gestor or solicitor to rectify the situation.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 1:31 pm
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, but they clearly didn't on this occasion unfortunately for the OP
Agreed, but for future refernece.

Originally Posted by Neptuno
You'll have something worse than car tax to worry about if he has an accident in that car, injuring or killing someone, or incurs traffic fines, as you will be liable.It sounds as if the transfer into his name wasn't done properly and it's still registered in your name. See a Gestor or solicitor to rectify the situation.
Very true. It could be ugly, especially if he doesn't know how to reach the guy who took it, and especially if he no longer has the papers for the car.

Maybe the best tactic would be to report it stolen :-)
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 1:41 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

there would appear to be plenty of breakers yards around and it could have been done properly

however suggest the OP may not only be liable for the road tax but also any spurious speeding and parking fines that may have been accrued.

what may be your scrapped car is the next mans do-it-upper and back on the road.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:26 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by amideislas
....Maybe the best tactic would be to report it stolen :-)
What if they find the man and he produces the paperwork OP gave him?
Never a good idea to lie to the police.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
What if they find the man and he produces the paperwork OP gave him?
Never a good idea to lie to the police.
Well, who doesn't keep all their paperwork in the car?
Plus, if the guy said he was going to scrap it and hasn't, that sounds pretty dishonest - esp. as he must know the OP is being stiffed for the tax - so he's stolen the taxes at the very least. One also assumes that the guy can't have insured the car - as he's not the registered owner.
If I was a cop and stopped a stolen car, if the driver said he'd been "given" the car - would *I* believe him? Don't think so.

However, it could be a bit sticky trying to explain why it took so long to report the theft.
Old Aug 22nd 2013, 8:35 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I baja´d a car last week - cost 8.10 euros. A simple process - what was said was that the car was sold for export to another country within the EU.

Go to Trafico and ask for "Solicitud de Baja del vehiculo"

Davexf
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 2:09 pm
Senior Moment

Don't you just hate it when someone registers on the forum asking for urgent help and then doesn't check back?
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 3:28 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

Do Moderators have the power to pm them even if they have fewer than 3 posts?

Davexf
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 3:32 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

Do Moderators have the power to pm them even if they have fewer than 3 posts?

Davexf
Afraid not. I can email them though if they have chosen to allow it
Old Aug 23rd 2013, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

pete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond reputepete_l has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you just hate it when someone registers on the forum asking for urgent help and then doesn't check back?
Patience! It's only been a day
Old Aug 24th 2013, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

PRIMO is an unknown quantity at this point

Cn anyone please tell me the cost of car tax in spain ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.