Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Rental - Malaga Airport

Car Rental - Malaga Airport

Old Mar 10th 2010, 11:49 am
CLR
Forum Regular

Location: Shetland/Granada Province and orginally the right side of the border.
CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all
Default Car Rental - Malaga Airport

Over the past few years back and forth to Spain we have hired a car from a reliable company.

I have just come to book for July and have been mortified at the current prices quoted i.e. for a Ford Ka or similar 36 Euro a day. I have dug out old invoices and have compiled the following:-

Jan 2008 - 11 euros a day- Ford Focus

July 2008- 17 euros a day - Ford Focus

July 2009 - 18 euros a day - Berlingo/similar

July 2010 - 36 euros a day - Ford Ka

I have even contacted the car hire company to see if there has been a problem with their site - and got a one liner back "there is no error".

I have searched further and have come up with a decent quote from Auto Europe - my question is has anybody used them and if so what are they like, cars, customer service, hidden charges etc.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by CLR; Mar 10th 2010 at 11:49 am. Reason: typo
Old Mar 10th 2010, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Rental - Malaga Airport

Originally Posted by CLR
Over the past few years back and forth to Spain we have hired a car from a reliable company.

I have just come to book for July and have been mortified at the current prices quoted i.e. for a Ford Ka or similar 36 Euro a day. I have dug out old invoices and have compiled the following:-

I have even contacted the car hire company to see if there has been a problem with their site - and got a one liner back "there is no error".

I have searched further and have come up with a decent quote from Auto Europe - my question is has anybody used them and if so what are they like, cars, customer service, hidden charges etc.

Thanks in advance.
Can't help just wish someone who knows something would help!!!! I can't believe custom is that easy to come by that they won't come up with a better price........
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:11 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

We always use or tell our visitors to use Málagcar.com. I dont know how they compare, but we've never had any problems and they're nice to deal with.

I think the reason that the prices have shot up is cos they couldnt get enough money from the banks last year to buy in new cars due to the recession, so they didnt have enough cars last year and had to/could put their prices up as it seems things arent much better this year??? Summat like that??

Jo xxx
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:16 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

CLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to allCLR is a name known to all

Originally Posted by fionamw
Can't help just wish someone who knows something would help!!!! I can't believe custom is that easy to come by that they won't come up with a better price........
Hi
exactly what my other half says. The prices I gave are just a few off booking e mails I have kept - we have been regulars until now. I was gobsmacked with the increase, doubled in 12 months. On looking at other companies everybody has put their prices up similar - a joint agreement perhaps?

I appreciate you will always get the ones who do not care what they pay, but they must be few and far between in the current climate.

How to price yourself out of the market!
Old Mar 10th 2010, 9:19 pm
CLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
We always use or tell our visitors to use Málagcar.com. I dont know how they compare, but we've never had any problems and they're nice to deal with.

I think the reason that the prices have shot up is cos they couldnt get enough money from the banks last year to buy in new cars due to the recession, so they didnt have enough cars last year and had to/could put their prices up as it seems things arent much better this year??? Summat like that??

Jo xxx
Hi Jo - this is Malaga car - we have never had a problem with them, and yes they are nice to deal with (this surprised me with the one line email I received) - but more than double
Old Mar 11th 2010, 5:30 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CLR
Hi Jo - this is Malaga car - we have never had a problem with them, and yes they are nice to deal with (this surprised me with the one line email I received) - but more than double
It`s typical of business everywhere, supply and demand sets the price in everyhing.
Jo has it about right.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:08 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Last summer most of the car hire companies ran out of cars - they simply werent able to buy/lease enough from the manufacturers due to the banks witholding loans etc due to the crisis, So I guess, yes they could charge what they wanted, but also with fewer cars, they needed to make their money somehow!? I'm not sticking up for them BTW

Jo xxx

Last edited by jojojojojo; Mar 11th 2010 at 6:11 am.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CLR
Hi
exactly what my other half says. The prices I gave are just a few off booking e mails I have kept - we have been regulars until now. I was gobsmacked with the increase, doubled in 12 months. On looking at other companies everybody has put their prices up similar - a joint agreement perhaps?

I appreciate you will always get the ones who do not care what they pay, but they must be few and far between in the current climate.

How to price yourself out of the market!

Last summer there was a shortage of cars available to hire in Spanish tourist areas (we always book our summer hire early) - perhaps that is why ALL the operators have put up their prices?
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:25 am
CLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jdr
It`s typical of business everywhere, supply and demand sets the price in everyhing.
Jo has it about right.
Yes, I assume this is what it is about, but in recession not a good move.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:31 am
CLR
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jojojojojo
Last summer most of the car hire companies ran out of cars - they simply werent able to buy/lease enough from the manufacturers due to the banks witholding loans etc due to the crisis, So I guess, yes they could charge what they wanted, but also with fewer cars, they needed to make their money somehow!? I'm not sticking up for them BTW

Jo xxx
Perhaps I got it wrong perhaps its was a HP agreement not a rental

I agree its about supply and demand.

We have no option due to flights this year to hire a car for a few days, but it will only be a few days, we are going to give the buses a go this year.

So they will not be losing a hire (or whoever we use), but nothing like the number of days at these rates.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:34 am
squeaky clean

Originally Posted by CLR
Yes, I assume this is what it is about, but in recession not a good move.

Maybe, but they've gotta make up their money somehow and since they ran out of cars last year and didnt have very many, I guess their profits are down. TBH, I thought alot of them put their prices up really high last year too and still were flat out with no cars available. Thats the trouble for the renters. Once you've booked your holiday and you need a car you have to get one regardless??! But in this instance I dont think the hire companies are profiteering as such, just trying to stay afloat - in the main!????!!!...maybe!?

Jo xxx
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:36 am
squeaky clean

all you can do is shop around!

Actually last year when my nephew came to stay for a few days, he couldnt even get a car - admittedly it was short notice, but we ended up lending him ours!

Jo xxx
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

There are still some reasonable priced small companies, like Benalmadena cars in the Pueblo and Torremar car hire in the same area, can check prices etc., on www.torremarcarhire.com
Old Mar 11th 2010, 6:51 am
around

w1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud ofw1ldcat has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CLR

Thanks in advance.
Hi i used to hire a cars out of malaga airport alot, the prices they are charging are unreal and hidden prices too. Wait till the 15th(mon) when the new T3 opens and the prices will be even higher. I have my own car over in spain last few yrs . But i use a local firm tell im only needing it for my itv,
I used that company once , i woudn't go back.
Old Mar 11th 2010, 1:17 pm
Forum Regular

Val001 is an unknown quantity at this point

I use Malaga Car Hire which I find good but don't travel in school holidays so don't know if they are competitive for July or not. Recently got a Citroen Nemo for 10 days for £143

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.