Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car registration and costs?

Car registration and costs?

Old Oct 6th 2010, 6:54 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car registration and costs?

Originally Posted by qwertyjjj
So, same thing then.
I have to register with the police asap and definitely within 90 days.
The car can stay in the country for 6 months.
I only become resident after 185 days.
I have 60 days after this 185 days to pay the matriculation.
As I have stated before on this thread, the 60 days only applies if you want to avoid paying the tax and it is 60 days from the date you register with the police and sign on the padron as that is the date when you start officially living in Spain even though you are not yet tax resident under the 183 day rule..

If you don't take up the 60 day offer then the guidance I have had from the EU legal department states "you must register your vehicle in Spain as soon as possible after arrival and, at any rate, within six months of moving."

At the end of the day it will be the Guardia and the tax office who decide whether the car has been here too long and the fines can be very high.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Scribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really niceScribble is just really nice

Originally Posted by Fred James
As I have stated before on this thread, the 60 days only applies if you want to avoid paying the tax and it is 60 days from the date you register with the police and sign on the padron as that is the date when you start officially living in Spain even though you are not yet tax resident under the 183 day rule..

If you don't take up the 60 day offer then the guidance I have had from the EU legal department states "you must register your vehicle in Spain as soon as possible after arrival and, at any rate, within six months of moving."

At the end of the day it will be the Guardia and the tax office who decide whether the car has been here too long and the fines can be very high.
I guess I'm going to have to keep papers on me to prove when the car was brought into the country. Is there likely to be any confusion if the car has been in the country for say 5 months and 28 days and I happened to get pulled over by the guardia just before my ferry ticket back?

Last edited by Scribble; Oct 6th 2010 at 7:08 am.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 7:45 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by qwertyjjj
I guess I'm going to have to keep papers on me to prove when the car was brought into the country. Is there likely to be any confusion if the car has been in the country for say 5 months and 28 days and I happened to get pulled over by the guardia just before my ferry ticket back?
If you have ferry tickets showing that the car is going back within the 6 months then I would be surprised if you had a problem.
Old Oct 7th 2010, 6:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bomber Harris
Or swop/sell with one of the expats who are returning to the UK.
havent read all the thread yet, but if you do that, how will they register it in their name, they wont have a uk address...
Old Oct 7th 2010, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
havent read all the thread yet, but if you do that, how will they register it in their name, they wont have a uk address...
Well, if they return to the UK permanently I assume they will have a UK address - unless they are sleeping in the car!