Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Purchase in Spain

Car Purchase in Spain

Old May 21st 2006, 7:08 am
  #31  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
EsuriJohn's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: Puente Esuri
Posts: 6,907
EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Car Purchase in Spain

Hi jdr,

Perhaps the term to be a "resident of your municipality" merely means to own or rent long term a property within the municipality.

Certainly with the advent of the EU regulations on voting many thousands of EU citizens who have come to the UK to work are able to register at the Town Hall to vote by being included on the Electoral Register which seems to me to be similar to the "Padron". And in a similar fashion the ER is one of the many measures used by the Government to distribute monies to the Local Authorities.

The systems in UK and Spain do not seem to be greatly different in that respect.

In Spain there are several terms that sound the same but perhaps have different requirements. Resident in your municipality (registered property owner), tax resident (NIE plus 183 days) and Residencia (citezenship)?

Regards,

John.
Originally Posted by jdr
I still cant see how you can legally claim to be a resident and not live here ?
"The "padrón" or "certificado de empadronamiento" refers to the process of registering with the town hall as a resident of your municipality"
EsuriJohn is offline  
Old May 21st 2006, 7:16 am
  #32  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Purchase in Spain

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi jdr,

Perhaps the term to be a "resident of your municipality" merely means to own or rent long term a property within the municipality.

Certainly with the advent of the EU regulations on voting many thousands of EU citizens who have come to the UK to work are able to register at the Town Hall to vote by being included on the Electoral Register which seems to me to be similar to the "Padron". And in a similar fashion the ER is one of the many measures used by the Government to distribute monies to the Local Authorities.

The systems in UK and Spain do not seem to be greatly different in that respect.

In Spain there are several terms that sound the same but perhaps have different requirements. Resident in your municipality (registered property owner), tax resident (NIE plus 183 days) and Residencia (citezenship)?

Regards,

John.
Yeah I know what you mean but like you say they are resident in the UK, not just bought a house, registered and gone back to where they come from
jdr is offline  
Old May 21st 2006, 9:58 am
  #33  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Apr 2005
Posts: 123
Spanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really niceSpanishliferules is just really nice
Default Re: Car Purchase in Spain

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
why does nobody actually read what i write...

to transfer your plates you first have to have a technical inspection of conformity to spanish standards, and then an itv, so yes, (for the hundredth time) you CAN itv an english plated car.

i never said you couldn´t. you can itv anything, the question is that it has no meaning to a foreign plated vehicle, it doesn´t make the car legal in the country of manufacture. ie u cant itv an english car and have english insurance.


yep...i thought i was right but i thought one of ya´ll would know better so i didn´t reply yet its not so much that a padron makes u a resident...more that it ...lets the government see how many people are in the town so the town is allowed to grow with more doctors and chemists and police etc

What did I do wrong??????????????????????
Spanishliferules is offline  
Old May 21st 2006, 10:36 am
  #34  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Cartama, Malaga
Posts: 1,168
bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Purchase in Spain

Originally Posted by Spanishliferules
What did I do wrong??????????????????????
nothing ?? why ? did i type that with attitude ?

sorry ?
bfg69bug is offline  
Old May 21st 2006, 7:30 pm
  #35  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Gran Alacant
Posts: 42
Gadget is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Purchase in Spain

Originally Posted by jdr
I still cant see how you can legally claim to be a resident and not live here ?
"The "padrón" or "certificado de empadronamiento" refers to the process of registering with the town hall as a resident of your municipality"
We are encouraged to enrol, as we own a house here and therefore need the services that are provided. Otherwise there would not be the services needed. I do not know whether it is legal or not, however the local Ayuntamiento do register people whether they are resident or not.

cheers

Gadget
Gadget is offline  
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 11:27 pm
  #36  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,366
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Purchase in Spain

Originally Posted by jdr
Why have you got a Padron and NIE if you dont live here ??
They said they are 'currently' not a resident as they have only been here for two months, they are probably in the same situation as I am, waiting for residencia. I have been here 7 months now, and am, to all intents and purposes a Spanish resident, with NIE, registered on the Padron, SIP, and have bought a car here. I have no UK home.

Cars from the UK MUST be registered with Spanish plates if they are kept here for more than 6 months in the year, you are classed as a Spnish resident if you are here more than in the UK. There are a huge number of cars being driven round here with UK tax discs out of date by several years, or no UK tax disc but still on UK plates. These are all, AFAIK, illegal and I would be well annoyed if involved in any accident with these cars. Cost of registering is around 1000 euros and there are plenty of firms that will do it for you.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2006, 11:47 am
  #37  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 4
davejkn1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Car Purchase in Spain

Hi Everyone,
Need help on this one,Just bought a Spanish plated car of ebay,Its got its itv & road tax plus another piece paper,Think its a licence of some sort,To allow you to drive in Spain.I got it of a very helpfull Spanish gent,Who his living & working in the uk,He said to me that he can transfer the ownership to me before his insurance runs out at the end of july,For 44 euros & after that it will be approx a 100 euros.
The problem I have is, I dont want to register it in the uk, but in Spain,As will not be moving there for some time(2yrs Plus?)
So the Question is, How can I register it in Spain without living there & having no fixed Address,Nothing at all.Any ideas anyone.The car is in need of some repair First.
Cheers Dave.
davejkn1 is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2006, 12:03 pm
  #38  
BE Forum Addict
 
Mercedes's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Depends
Posts: 4,041
Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Purchase in Spain

Originally Posted by davejkn1
Hi Everyone,
Need help on this one,Just bought a Spanish plated car of ebay,Its got its itv & road tax plus another piece paper,Think its a licence of some sort,To allow you to drive in Spain.I got it of a very helpfull Spanish gent,Who his living & working in the uk,He said to me that he can transfer the ownership to me before his insurance runs out at the end of july,For 44 euros & after that it will be approx a 100 euros.
The problem I have is, I dont want to register it in the uk, but in Spain,As will not be moving there for some time(2yrs Plus?)
So the Question is, How can I register it in Spain without living there & having no fixed Address,Nothing at all.Any ideas anyone.The car is in need of some repair First.
Cheers Dave.

Why register it at all, why not just drive it around, I doubt you will be bothered and at least you can avoid speeding tickets etc etc......
Mercedes is offline  
Old Jun 6th 2006, 6:36 pm
  #39  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,366
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Purchase in Spain

Originally Posted by davejkn1
Hi Everyone,
Need help on this one,Just bought a Spanish plated car of ebay,Its got its itv & road tax plus another piece paper,Think its a licence of some sort,To allow you to drive in Spain.I got it of a very helpfull Spanish gent,Who his living & working in the uk,He said to me that he can transfer the ownership to me before his insurance runs out at the end of july,For 44 euros & after that it will be approx a 100 euros.
The problem I have is, I dont want to register it in the uk, but in Spain,As will not be moving there for some time(2yrs Plus?)
So the Question is, How can I register it in Spain without living there & having no fixed Address,Nothing at all.Any ideas anyone.The car is in need of some repair First.
Cheers Dave.
Given you are not going to be in Spain for a couple of years or more, why buy a spanish plated car? are you going to drive it in the UK? if so you will almost certianly need an MOT, insurance etc. what happens if you are stopped driving it without correct documentation? you really do need to register it in the UK if you are using it there full time and you will be driving at a disadvantage there with a LHD car and the potential problems overtaking. I would love to see a clamp down in ALL countries on unlicensed, untaxed and uninsured cars as they are a liability on the roads and certainly would not take the risks as advocated by the other reply to your post, I value my license to much.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2006, 1:59 am
  #40  
BE Forum Addict
 
Mercedes's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Depends
Posts: 4,041
Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Purchase in Spain

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Given you are not going to be in Spain for a couple of years or more, why buy a spanish plated car? are you going to drive it in the UK? if so you will almost certianly need an MOT, insurance etc. what happens if you are stopped driving it without correct documentation? you really do need to register it in the UK if you are using it there full time and you will be driving at a disadvantage there with a LHD car and the potential problems overtaking. I would love to see a clamp down in ALL countries on unlicensed, untaxed and uninsured cars as they are a liability on the roads and certainly would not take the risks as advocated by the other reply to your post, I value my license to much.

I was half kidding with my post. I know so many people get away with speeding fines, and often thought of having a foreign plated car to avoid them.....but I agree having insurance etc is a good idea especially if you are in an accident....
Mercedes is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2006, 3:12 am
  #41  
zel
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 987
zel is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Purchase in Spain

There is a clampdown throughout western Europe on illegal cars, apprantly there is talk of new EU legislation going through to make it easier for local Police forces to share data on vehicle registration and also chase you up in other countries for speeding/parking violations.

I have to say I've seen evidence of this happening already in the UK, the motorway police know what to look for when it comes to popular forgien registration plates to check if the road tax has expired and if this is the case they can take their car away - this is brilliant as I've been hit by an eastern european plated car in the UK who clearly was not taxed or insured as he decided to run off leaving the car by the side of the road leaving me with a huge repair bill to protect my no claims!

From what I've seen and been told in the major towns/cities in Spain the local police force has started clamping down on British registered illegal vehicles too, not a moment too soon in my books!

I know from personal experience these people can cost innocent motorists thousands of pounds!!
zel is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2006, 5:39 am
  #42  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 4
davejkn1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Purchase in Spain

I bought the car at a good price,It needs some work on it.If anybody as been reading my other posts,Will see that I am a mechanic(work for my self)I have a traders policy & Trade Plates(which means I can drive any car)There is a story attached to it,To long to go in to.Hence I have been left holding the baby(If you know what I mean).The reason for keeping it is so I can drive to spain & then leave it there for when I go back,Which will be several times.As this is all a learning curve for me for when I go to Spain.If it means I have to store the car here in England Till I have address in Spain,So be it,Just wanted to find out info on the matter.
davejkn1 is offline  
Old Jun 7th 2006, 5:59 am
  #43  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,366
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Purchase in Spain

Originally Posted by davejkn1
I bought the car at a good price,It needs some work on it.If anybody as been reading my other posts,Will see that I am a mechanic(work for my self)I have a traders policy & Trade Plates(which means I can drive any car)There is a story attached to it,To long to go in to.Hence I have been left holding the baby(If you know what I mean).The reason for keeping it is so I can drive to spain & then leave it there for when I go back,Which will be several times.As this is all a learning curve for me for when I go to Spain.If it means I have to store the car here in England Till I have address in Spain,So be it,Just wanted to find out info on the matter.
Try asking Brian Deller, he writes on motoring matters in Spain for a number of local spanish, english language papers.
www.spainvia.com/motoringinspain.htm

Hope this helps, he was very helpful to me
mikelincs is offline  
Old Jul 19th 2006, 8:53 pm
  #44  
Forum Regular
 
maryg's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2005
Location: West Midlands/Murcia
Posts: 163
maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice
Default Re: Car Purchase in Spain

Originally Posted by bfg69bug
you have to have a padron and NIE to buy a car jdr. you CAN have these and still be non-resident - i have them - i believe by "non-resident" they do live here but do not hold a spanish residency card?
We have been told that we need a padron aswell as the NIE to purchase a car in Spain, which I thought was right hence going back through the forums to this old message.....One small qusestion: our friend sent his paperwork off only to have it returned because his padron had run out. I've looked at mine and the only date on there is the date of issue. He was told that they only last 3 months and then need renewing. Has anyone else had a padron run out? Is it different depending where you live? He is in Alicante, we are in Murcia
Mary
maryg is offline  
Old Jul 20th 2006, 2:01 am
  #45  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 27,366
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Purchase in Spain

Originally Posted by maryg
We have been told that we need a padron aswell as the NIE to purchase a car in Spain, which I thought was right hence going back through the forums to this old message.....One small qusestion: our friend sent his paperwork off only to have it returned because his padron had run out. I've looked at mine and the only date on there is the date of issue. He was told that they only last 3 months and then need renewing. Has anyone else had a padron run out? Is it different depending where you live? He is in Alicante, we are in Murcia
Mary
It doesn't actually 'run out' but for some official things you do need an up-to-date padron, i.e. dated less than 3 months ago. In fact on going to join a local 'social club' held in a locla authority building we had to have a padron that was dated in the month we applied to join. For the most part you will not need to renew your padron only in special circumstances, but it isn't hard, just take your old one to the ayuntiamento, and they will issue you with a new one with a current date, you shouldn't even have to join the queue; in Orihuela costa there is a sceond window, stand at that and you will be seen out of turn, takes less than 5 minutes. Unless you are doing any of this, just rely on your original padron, and only renew it if necessary.
mikelincs is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.