Car Purchase

Old Dec 3rd 2014, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

lordhowe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Purchase

Dear All I have searched but could not find my answer... so just a simple question

I would like to purchase a used car, I have an NIE number as I own property, I will only stay in Spain for the legal period of days so as a non tax resident, so who, what and where do I have to register myself if any or can I just buy a car? I am based in Quesada.
If there are posts I should read can you put a link, Thank you all.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 6:58 pm
Just Joined

CasaMadrugada is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Purchase

I have no advice to give.. only to say Quesada looks beautiful.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 7:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute

You don't have to be resident to buy a car. However you will need proof of address. The current one always asked for is your Padron, the registration at the townhall. Possibly also a utility bill in your name. As we found out, presenting the house deeds (escritura) is no longer accepted as proof of address! we had to go and renew our padron. This used to expire every year, then it was every six months, now its seems its every quarter, at least in our region!

If you are buying from a reputable dealer they will do all the work of transfer for you, you just supply the documents to them.
Old Dec 3rd 2014, 8:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the padron was no longer required as if non resident one shouldn't really be on it? The whole thing seems silly, you can buy a house but not be on the pardon but not a car even with escrutira. I must admit I am considering the same. I of course have both escrutira and utility bills. I suppose only way to know for sure is to speak with car sales dealer and let them find out what actually a non resident requires, it does seem to vary by region.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 6:18 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

They usually insist on the padron but, as you say, you can't possibly have this (legally) if you are non-resident.

I too am confused as to what the law actually states and who is legally allowed to buy a car in Spain.

I'll watch with interest.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 6:19 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Living in Quesada you should go to town hall (Ayutamiento) in Rojales to register on the pardon. NB: Police (trafico) require this to validate your address.

Any dealer will register the car or if you want to DIY e.g. for a private purchase you will need to visit trafico, good luck with that <LOL>

It seems you are not familiar with the Spanish system, be careful with private purchase. You may end up with a stolen vehicle with outstanding debt, tax or fines.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 6:19 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Car Purchase

Originally Posted by snikpoh
They usually insist on the padron but, as you say, you can't possibly have this (legally) if you are non-resident.

I too am confused as to what the law actually states and who is legally allowed to buy a car in Spain.

I'll watch with interest.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 9:10 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
Living in Quesada you should go to town hall (Ayutamiento) in Rojales to register on the pardon. NB: Police (trafico) require this to validate your address.

Any dealer will register the car or if you want to DIY e.g. for a private purchase you will need to visit trafico, good luck with that <LOL>

It seems you are not familiar with the Spanish system, be careful with private purchase. You may end up with a stolen vehicle with outstanding debt, tax or fines.
Please do NOT do this as it is WRONG.

As a non-resident, you are not supposed/allowed to sign on the padron.
THIS IS FOR RESIDENTS only.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 9:18 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

If you want to register a car in Alicante province, you have to do it ..............
Old Dec 4th 2014, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes that is my understanding as well, however I would not doubt that what Missile says is true as well. Problem is by signing on the pardon you are saying that your home in Spain is your habitual home. It seems a nonsense to me that you have to lie in order to buy a car. However why am I not surprised that this is the case?
Old Dec 4th 2014, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

tim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant future

If you want to register a car in Alicante province, you have to do it ..............
Not true. I registered my car two months ago and all I needed was my escritura.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 10:19 am
Started off with nothing

You live in Alicante province?
Old Dec 4th 2014, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

tim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant futuretim1963 has a brilliant future

You live in Alicante province?
I have a house in Moraira but I don't live there. I went to 3 gestors to get an approximate price. One had a form that said I needed the padron which the other two said wasn't up to date.
Old Dec 4th 2014, 11:57 am
Started off with nothing

If the gestors can't agree what hope is there? However, this debate doesn't help OP.

Whenever I have registered a car, I was required to provide an up to date original Padron. It is very easy to obtain and I don't see the point in arguing whether this is / is not a requirement for non residents. Whatever, it is not me you would have to convince it would be trafico .............. and good luck with that <LOL>

I would suggest OP buys from a reputable dealer and asks him to register the vehicle. Perhaps OP will report back?
Old Dec 4th 2014, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

la mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond reputela mancha has a reputation beyond repute

Hire a car long-term for your stay and save yourself a whole load of hassle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.