Car Purchase

Old Nov 30th 2007, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Car Purchase

Right we have just bought our first car out here - second hand. The garage is doing the transfer for us but I have a couple of questions please. It is four years old next June so I know that it will need an ITV at that time. Someone has told me that I have to pay 4% tax to someone somewhere! Can anyone help with that please? The garage has said that tax is paid until next year. Is there anywhere I can check and where do I pay it when it is my turn. Have sorted out the car insurance so am ok on that score. Finally please what documents do we have to carry in the car?
Old Nov 30th 2007, 4:45 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Purchase

Hi Sue and congratulations on the car purchase.

As far as I know (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), but I believe that the garage that is doing the selling/transfer of the second hand car will be responsible for the change of name on the registration, tax, new ITV (if one is required) and any other papers. Next year you will have to go to the SUMA office with your paid tax receipt (that the garage will supply you with) and pay your yearly tax bill. This is usually around end of May, beginning of April. At that time you can inform them of your address so that they can enter it on the system if that has not already been done.

All original car documents (registration, insurance, tax, ITV, driving license) need to be with you whilst driving the car at all times. Also those glow in the dark vest thingies, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, second pair of glasses if the driver wears glasses.....and I'm sure I've probably forgotten something

Here's a website with a short guide to buying second hand in Spain

http://www.idealspain.com/pages/Information/buycar.asp

The website also seems to imply that the seller has to pay the 4% (which is a transfer tax) and you have to retain that receipt.

Website with docs you need to have with you (so disregard my incoherent mumblings )

http://www.idealspain.com/pages/Info...ivingSpain.htm

Last edited by MnM; Nov 30th 2007 at 4:50 pm. Reason: Added 2nd website
Old Nov 30th 2007, 4:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

SueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond reputeSueG has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Martha it was the 4% that I was most worried about - the garage certainly didn't mention it and have asked around at work - one Spanish person yes you have to pay it - another said not - and the English had all managed to buy new cars and I think this tax only relates to second hand.

I think I have it all sorted out in mind then someone invariably throws me off balance
Old Nov 30th 2007, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MnM
Hi Sue and congratulations on the car purchase.

As far as I know (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong), but I believe that the garage that is doing the selling/transfer of the second hand car will be responsible for the change of name on the registration, tax, new ITV (if one is required) and any other papers. Next year you will have to go to the SUMA office with your paid tax receipt (that the garage will supply you with) and pay your yearly tax bill. This is usually around end of May, beginning of April. At that time you can inform them of your address so that they can enter it on the system if that has not already been done.

All original car documents (registration, insurance, tax, ITV, driving license) need to be with you whilst driving the car at all times. Also those glow in the dark vest thingies, first aid kit, fire extinguisher, second pair of glasses if the driver wears glasses.....and I'm sure I've probably forgotten something

Here's a website with a short guide to buying second hand in Spain

http://www.idealspain.com/pages/Information/buycar.asp

The website also seems to imply that the seller has to pay the 4% (which is a transfer tax) and you have to retain that receipt.

Website with docs you need to have with you (so disregard my incoherent mumblings )

http://www.idealspain.com/pages/Info...ivingSpain.htm

I don't to be honest really understand what SUMA is
Old Nov 30th 2007, 5:05 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SueG
I don't to be honest really understand what SUMA is
Where you pays yer dosh
http://www.suma.es/
Old Nov 30th 2007, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Where you pays yer dosh
http://www.suma.es/
Sorry Mitzy what taxes do you mean - we are in rented and our only bills are the normal household ones and now we have bought the car. Should we be paying anything else? Will we get a bill - how does it work?
Old Nov 30th 2007, 6:01 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry Mitzy what taxes do you mean - we are in rented and our only bills are the normal household ones and now we have bought the car. Should we be paying anything else? Will we get a bill - how does it work?
It's your car tax, there are different SUMAS, for drainage etc, you will only pay the car one, the owner of the house is liable for the rest. It should all be documented in your rental agreement.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 6:36 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Sue,

On the website that Mitzy gave you (www.suma.es) there is a link where you can calculate your yearly car tax.

http://www.suma.es/CalcularIV.php?idMenu=251

(I think it's an approximation and it's not binding, but it will give you an idea).
Old Nov 30th 2007, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thank you all for your help as always!

P.S. We have bought a Ford Fusion - which category will it be in on the website. Sorry to be a pain

Last edited by SueG; Nov 30th 2007 at 8:03 pm.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 9:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for your help as always!

P.S. We have bought a Ford Fusion - which category will it be in on the website. Sorry to be a pain
A Ford Fusion will come under the "turismo" category (literally "tourer" or car). You'll need to enter the engine power to get the estimate. I believe it's in kW and not PS (Pferdestärken) though.
Old Nov 30th 2007, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Econ has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond reputeEcon has a reputation beyond repute

It is four years old next June so I know that it will need an ITV at that time.
Once your paperwork goes through you will get notification in the post each time your ITV is due, so make sure the address is correct on any paperwork.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 6:45 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
Once your paperwork goes through you will get notification in the post each time your ITV is due, so make sure the address is correct on any paperwork.
Plus with each ITV you get a windscreen sticker to tell you it's due in November 2009 or whenever. Lasts two years for cars under 10 years old.
Old Dec 1st 2007, 6:54 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I have been told that at Malaga you now have to make an appointment for the test, you can`t just turn up like before ?
Old Dec 1st 2007, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Econ
Thank you we are moving later this week to a different area can you please tell me how to get the address changed. Will I have to go to a Gestor?
Old Dec 1st 2007, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by twyntub
A Ford Fusion will come under the "turismo" category (literally "tourer" or car). You'll need to enter the engine power to get the estimate. I believe it's in kW and not PS (Pferdestärken) though.
Thank you will look that up now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.