Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car ..No Paperwork !

Car ..No Paperwork !

Old Oct 28th 2007, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

harryg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car ..No Paperwork !

I have just aquired a Land Rover Santana ( in cracking condition )from my brother in law (who is Spanish) without any paperwork, is it possible to get a vehicle registered in my name without this (as in the UK). If so how can I go about this and what will it cost. Thanks Harry
Old Oct 28th 2007, 7:29 pm
Structural Surveyor

Hillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond reputeHillybilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car ..No Paperwork !

Unless you fancy spending hours of your life in Trafico and ITV testing stations (assuming you need ficha tecnica) I´d get a gestor to do it all for you!
Has your BIL been paying car tax on it? Make sure it´s all up to date otherwise you´ll cop for the lot.
I´ve recently bought one of these myself...bright orange!
Old Oct 28th 2007, 7:51 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

It should have the title of "No paperwork ... no car"
Why no papers, did he nick it ?
Like hillybilly says, be very careful, get a search done on it first.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

sarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond reputesarahchirles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harryg
I have just aquired a Land Rover Santana ( in cracking condition )from my brother in law (who is Spanish) without any paperwork, is it possible to get a vehicle registered in my name without this (as in the UK). If so how can I go about this and what will it cost. Thanks Harry
Acquired! You need to get it checked out! Gestoria etc. There might be loads of fines on it. Bit dodgy but can remain in BIL name and get away with it. But they will catch up with you eventually
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:26 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

are you trying to get it legal in the UK?

If so it is actually quite easy, I have done it to a VW Golf from Italy.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:40 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
, I have done it in a VW Golf from Italy.
Really?
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:48 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Really?
You hi lighted the wrong bit, but yeah, I have actually, I'm a little surprised that you haven't.
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
You hi lighted the wrong bit, but yeah, I have actually, I'm a little surprised that you haven't.

I need a bigger car
Old Oct 28th 2007, 10:59 pm
Straw Man.

I need a bigger car
I just need a hole and a heartbeat.
Old Oct 29th 2007, 11:46 am
Just Joined

Magnum 500 is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to Spain in 2002, and have a Range Rover here which (which I brought from UK) I want to sell to someone in UK. Is this possible bearing in mind that it is now Spanish Registered. What procedure should I adopt?
Old Oct 29th 2007, 2:54 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I need a bigger car
Just ordered a Renault Scenic
Old Oct 29th 2007, 6:59 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Magnum 500
I moved to Spain in 2002, and have a Range Rover here which (which I brought from UK) I want to sell to someone in UK. Is this possible bearing in mind that it is now Spanish Registered. What procedure should I adopt?
Sell it to them with all the Spanish paperwork you have (and any previous uk paperwork) and they need to get it MOT'd and insured using the chassis number and not the reg plate.

You then have to contact customs and excise to get a vat clearance cert, then the DVLA can reg it back in the UK for them.

If you have not unregged it in the UK and still have the reg document then you could try just sending off the V5 for new ownership and see what happens, but be aware they could get hefty fines if it was never SORN (told the dvla it was off the road since 2002)
Old Oct 29th 2007, 7:03 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by harryg
It can be done yes, but you should contact the DVLA to make sure you have what you need to be able to do this.

At the very least you will need a receipt, even if it's from your BIL to say it was a gift to you from him.

Be aware you may be subject to VAT on the current market value of the vehicle if customs are not happy about the history of it.