Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car mechanic killed my car, what can be done?

View Poll Results: In Spain cheating level is like in
Iceland
0%
Germany
0%
Romania
50.00%
India/Egypt/Indonesia
50.00%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Car mechanic killed my car, what can be done?

Old Nov 20th 2011, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car mechanic killed my car, what can be done?

As there seems to be quite a lot of knowledgeable people on here, anyone got any idea what is wrong with my car?

It went to the garage to have a service and to be taken for its annual MOT. Vehicle is a 12 yr old VW Bora 2.0 (petrol). Within a day or so it suddenly started shaking as if the engine was loose. We got it back to the garage and they said it was only firing on three (pistons?) repaired it but a week later it started again. It went back in yesterday and they changed the plugs and cables. Told to take it home and see how it went. Slightly better but not right. Having the cam belt changed on Tuesday anyway and obviously will tell them that it still isn´t correct. By the way it was working perfectly before the "service".

Oh and it also smelt of smoke/fuel.
Old Nov 20th 2011, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of
Post Re: Car mechanic killed my car, what can be done?

Originally Posted by Chiclanagir
As there seems to be quite a lot of knowledgeable people on here, anyone got any idea what is wrong with my car?

It went to the garage to have a service and to be taken for its annual MOT. Vehicle is a 12 yr old VW Bora 2.0 (petrol). Within a day or so it suddenly started shaking as if the engine was loose. We got it back to the garage and they said it was only firing on three (pistons?) repaired it but a week later it started again. It went back in yesterday and they changed the plugs and cables. Told to take it home and see how it went. Slightly better but not right. Having the cam belt changed on Tuesday anyway and obviously will tell them that it still isn´t correct. By the way it was working perfectly before the "service".

Oh and it also smelt of smoke/fuel.
You have a wasted spark system [ DIS ].

1st.
Ensure the plug leads replaced are of a VERY GOOD MAKE / fitment.
Spurious ones never seal as good as OEM

2nd.
Ensure the spark plugs are gapped correctly, and the exact match.

3rd.
Ensure that the plugs that have been installed, require or do not require the spin cap on the top of the plug / thread. Otherwise the lead spark will have to jump to the thread on the plug.

4th.
90% of the time when leads have been arching badly, they will create a lot of back emf; basically damage the coil itself.

5th.
You install known good spark plugs, matched with known good leads & a new coil.

6th.
In very bad cases if the plugs, leads, and coil are badly damaged you can even damage the driver in the ECU.

7th.
Rare cases are bad main relay supply low volts to the coil.

DSB.