Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

car insurance in Spain

car insurance in Spain

Old Jul 27th 2016, 6:07 am
Forum Regular

stuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nice
Default car insurance in Spain

Hi, my car insurance is due for renewal soon and I am with Linea Directa who I have been for the last five years, so I have to go the rigmarole of getting LD quote then phoning round other insures for quotes and then seeing if LD can match them.My question is some of the other insures are based in Gibraltar---Abbeygate and Ibex insurance-- is that ever a problem. I Am in mainland Spain.
Thanks Stuart.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:45 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car insurance in Spain

Not a problem at all other than when you come to renew with a different company. Because they are not Spanish, it's sometimes hard to prove NCB as they don't have a Spanish company number to look up on the usual databases.

I got around this by getting IBEX to issue me with an NCB letter.

Have you tried REGAL? They are the online arm(I think) of Liberty Seguros and are massively cheaper.

Last edited by snikpoh; Jul 27th 2016 at 8:19 am.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

stuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nicestuart from barnsley is just really nice

Thanks for your quick reply. I will give Regal a try.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=snikpoh;12013016]Not a problem at all other than when you come to renew with a different company. Because they are not Spanish, it's sometimes hard to prove NCB as they don't have a Spanish company number to look up on the usual databases.

I got around this by getting IBEX to issue me with an NCB letter.

Have you tried REGAL? Threy are the online arm(I think) of Liberty Seguros and are massively cheaper.[/g
Sorry to go off topic a bit, but When/ if you go back to UK to live, getting insurance becomes a nightmare because of the ncb, it starts from zero
My husbands premium was astronomical when we came back last year
I managed to get proof of ncb from Liberty Seguros but it was only for 60%, 6 years, ( from 2011-2015)and the premium was still huge
I found it difficult to find a company to insure him
I eventually went with NFU, but it was at least double what we were paying in Spain!
Friends who had also come back had the same problem
I know now that there are a couple of firms who are sympathetic to expats coming back, so will investigate for this year's insurance.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Neptuno, I've tried Regal on the advice given by Snikpoh but their website must be down as soon as i get to choose your manufacture it stops. I 've left a message on their facebook page but haven't received a reply yet. We usually do 6 weeks in Spain and 6 weeks in UK so have car insurance in both and pay £167 for a 18mths old audi A5 Cab and Linea directa want €412 for a 10 year old Renault Kangoo !!!
Old Jul 27th 2016, 12:51 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stuart from barnsley
Hi Neptuno, I've tried Regal on the advice given by Snikpoh but their website must be down as soon as i get to choose your manufacture it stops. I 've left a message on their facebook page but haven't received a reply yet. We usually do 6 weeks in Spain and 6 weeks in UK so have car insurance in both and pay £167 for a 18mths old audi A5 Cab and Linea directa want €412 for a 10 year old Renault Kangoo !!!
It's working fine now - just make sure you ticked/answered all the questions or it won't proceed.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 1:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Neptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond reputeNeptuno has a reputation beyond repute

I've just tried Regal, and where you fill in the phone number, it won't allow you to put in all the numbers
Old Jul 27th 2016, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

I translated the page to english and couldn't get passed select your car manufacture.
I've just tried to do it in spanish and after putting in my post code I got a message saying call the office and someone will deal with you. So told them in chat that the web site in english wasn't working and they said that they would fix it. So I'll wait and see.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Countryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this pointCountryboy1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't bother ringing around. Deduct a figure from your renewal quote then ring LD and tell them you have had a lower quote (think of a company!). When/if LD say they want evidence of the other quote, tell them you don't intend to go to all that trouble and you're cancelling and going with the other company. You'll be transferred and bingo - a lower renewal figure will emerge!
Old Jul 27th 2016, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

I tried Bewiser
Their quote was astronomical
They phoned and asked what I thought of it
I told them in no uncertain terms
Miraculously, they came up with a much reduced quote!
Old Jul 27th 2016, 2:48 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Neptuno
I've just tried Regal, and where you fill in the phone number, it won't allow you to put in all the numbers
Works fine for me - Spanish number and in Spanish. Ah well, I tried to help.
Old Jul 27th 2016, 5:00 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks anyway snikpoh. The problem seems to be when you try and fill out the form in English after it has been translated,but thanks again for taking the time and trouble.
Old Jul 30th 2016, 2:28 pm
Herreño

Boseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond reputeBoseley has a reputation beyond repute

Mapfre we use