car insurance

Old Jan 16th 2010, 1:24 pm
Just Joined

Ibeadell is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car insurance

Hi, my wife and I are moving to Spain in the near future (Nerja) and I need to insure my car for both Spanish and UK use. Where is the best place to go for this, in Spain or get it sorted before we actually move over. Can anyone advise me of the best way to go. Thanks.
Old Jan 17th 2010, 7:31 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car insurance

Hi,

Welcome to the site. I hope you enjoy your stay with us.

I don't live in Spain myself, I am in the USA, and so can't help with your question. So I am going to move this thread to the Spain forum for you. I am sure that someone will be along shortly to give you some pointers about insurance in Spain.

Regards

Sue
Old Jan 17th 2010, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

I use Ibex for vehicle and property insurance

http://www.ibexinsure.com/
Old Jan 17th 2010, 7:52 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Try www.lineadirecta.com

They offer policies documented in English, customer service in English, a superb claim service (from my experience) and are happy to cover you for an indefinite period anywhere in the EU.

They will also beat any other quote you can come up with.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Location: Javea by choice / Kazakhstan mostly / UK sometimes!
Mykap will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Ibeadell
Hi, my wife and I are moving to Spain in the near future (Nerja) and I need to insure my car for both Spanish and UK use. Where is the best place to go for this, in Spain or get it sorted before we actually move over. Can anyone advise me of the best way to go. Thanks.
My car is registered in UK and insured in Spain. I am NOT a Spanish resident but spend 3 or 4 months a year at my villa.

The advantage of insuring in Spain is the vechicle (under my Lloyds policy) is insured throughout Europe with no restrictions (ie no limit on days when outside Spain). The disadvantage is cost - easy twice the equivilent of a UK policy, my car is an 08 registered Mustang, in the UK a policy would be about 700GBP fully comp as opposed to 1780 EUR in Spain.

Unfortunately I had to claim for hail damage recently but hats off to the insurers who met the calim in full with no unnecessary hassle at all.

Others here will protest to the point of bordom that you can't drive/insure a UK plate car in Spain, but it is all subject to your residency status. Just go to or call an agency such as knights and they will advise.
Old Jan 18th 2010, 8:25 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

As stated, if you insure your car in Spain then it will be covered for use in the Uk as well, and you will also receive a degree of breakdown cover within the policy.

I used Mapfre when I first came here but am now with Knights Insurance because they were cheaper.

Before you come, get a letter from your present insurance company stating how long you have been insured with them and if possible your no claims bonus years and percentage. The Spanish company will take this into consideration when you take a policy out, otherwise you will be starting from square 1.

If you are a resident (on the register of foreigners) then your car must be matriculated on Spanish plates. .... sorry you find us boring MYKAP

See other recent threads for driving licence issues
Old Jan 18th 2010, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Location: Javea by choice / Kazakhstan mostly / UK sometimes!
Mykap will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
.... sorry you find us boring MYKAP

See other recent threads for driving licence issues
I dont find you boring at all Mitzyboy
Old Jan 18th 2010, 1:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ibeadell
I also used knights, I got insurance with them in UK to drive over here.
I am with linea direct now as they are cheaper but as they have a UK branch also you could try them for both.