Car insurance

Old Apr 11th 2006, 7:22 am
Just Joined

Graham2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance

Hi !

Can anyone recommend a company which will insure a UK registered car for a year in Spain ?

Many Thanks
Old Apr 11th 2006, 1:14 pm
Forum Regular

j0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant futurej0197 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Car insurance

I use Linea Direct. I dont know if they will insure your car but worth a call. They have always come up the cheapest.

English Speaking and all paperwork in english. I think the number is 902 123 123.
Old Apr 11th 2006, 3:39 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Be careful, cos your car needs to be UK taxed and MOT`d while it is over here, a loophole not to pay a claim
Old Apr 12th 2006, 7:56 pm

offroader is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Graham2005
Hi !

Can anyone recommend a company which will insure a UK registered car for a year in Spain ?

Many Thanks
I have just insured my uk registered car with a green car for 1 year in spain with abbey gate insurance phone no is 952 893 380 or www.abbeygate.com they were very quick and helpful and were slightly cheaper than my uk insurer & I asked about mot & tax and you don't require either with them to make your policy valid in the event of a claim.
Old Apr 12th 2006, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by offroader
I have just insured my uk registered car with a green car for 1 year in spain with abbey gate insurance they were very quick and helpful and were slightly cheaper than my uk insurer & I asked about mot & tax and you don't require either with them to make your policy valid in the event of a claim.
Presumably your UK registered vehicle having UK licence plates will still be falling under the UK motoring regs as you may not have become resident in Spain. Perhaps you could explain whether you intend to stay in Spain as a Resident or return to UK as a non Resident ? In other words, are you intending to 'export' your UK registered vehicle and declare all that according to the UK rules. And if you decide to stay in Spain and become resident then the vehicle would obviously need to conform to Spanish driving regs.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Nige
Presumably your UK registered vehicle having UK licence plates will still be falling under the UK motoring regs as you may not have become resident in Spain. Perhaps you could explain whether you intend to stay in Spain as a Resident or return to UK as a non Resident ? In other words, are you intending to 'export' your UK registered vehicle and declare all that according to the UK rules. And if you decide to stay in Spain and become resident then the vehicle would obviously need to conform to Spanish driving regs.
In answer to your questions, I shall be importing the vehicle in to spain shortly & incidently it has tax & mot, I will then during the aloted 6 month time frame have it regisered on spanish plates & obviously it would have to comply with spanish regulations in order to do this.

The insurance company in question tell me that when I am ready to do this they will amend the policy registration ect for a small fee of 25 euros, oh & yes I will be spanish resident.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 12:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

I have just insured my uk registered car with a green car for 1 year in spain with abbey gate insurance phone no is 952 893 380 or www.abbeygate.com they were very quick and helpful and were slightly cheaper than my uk insurer & I asked about mot & tax and you don't require either with them to make your policy valid in the event of a claim.
Yeah right

I would get that in writing, English for you and Spanish for the Gardia
Old Apr 13th 2006, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I second that jdr, also it is not 6 months anymore it is one month if you are to become a resident. The police are stopping as many foreign cars as they can here . If you are lucky you might dodge them, but I have heard that they have been impounding the cars in CDS until plates changed.

This info came from a financial consultant in Benalmadena, jdr you may have heard about this?
Old Apr 13th 2006, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by pwwm
I second that jdr, also it is not 6 months anymore it is one month if you are to become a resident. The police are stopping as many foreign cars as they can here . If you are lucky you might dodge them, but I have heard that they have been impounding the cars in CDS until plates changed.

This info came from a financial consultant in Benalmadena, jdr you may have heard about this?

I have just returned from collecting my insurance policy which of which I have been provided 2 copies of 1 in spanish & 1 in engish.

Where do you get this one month from importation to registering for spanish plates from ? everything i have read regarding this states 6 months.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 4:31 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I have just returned from collecting my insurance policy which of which I have been provided 2 copies of 1 in spanish & 1 in engish.

Where do you get this one month from importation to registering for spanish plates from ? everything i have read regarding this states 6 months.
I meant get a copy of the bit where you "dont need tax and mot bit"

You will find that any paperwork queries by the Gardia result in the car in the pound until you get them what they need even if you left it at home.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 4:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by pwwm

They do regular checks, sometimes on crash helmets for scooters, sometimes on foreign plated vehicles, seen plenty Gruered away.
Old Apr 13th 2006, 4:41 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

"The following applies for new English speaking residents in Spain who wish to do it. First of all, it must be done within 30 days of your registering to stay here for more than 6 months (residencia) or if you are working for a local company they will organise this personal registration (residencia) for you)."

More here under Spanish plates http://www.idealspain.com/pages/Info...ivingSpain.htm
Old Apr 13th 2006, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen them here doing checks re helmets and have heard in Nerja that they take the bikes away on the back of trucks, I use my helmet no wish to get hurt.
Re the one month for cars this came from the Guardia that stops the Brits here. I in fact did translate for one couple and the Guardia were quite insistent that the car was done within the one month or be impounded immediately, and we live in the back of beyond as they say.
But it does seem the rule of the day for the Guardia.
Old May 15th 2006, 4:03 pm
Just Joined

PULULA is an unknown quantity at this point

be carefull!! oficial documents such as policies of other kind should be in spanish not any other languaje. Its ok if your company enclosed a copy in english for your convinience. If you are stop by the policy you might find a surprise!!
Old May 15th 2006, 4:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

I asked about mot & tax and you don't require either with them to make your policy valid in the event of a claim.

bullllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllSHIT.. ..

ok.. in order to remove this from the realms of bullshiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit to legal fact i require a scan of a document stating this, stamped or signed by headoffice to the effect that you do not need UK tax and MOT in order to claim on a Uk plated vehicle in spain for over 6 months until then you will be branded as being "taken for a ride, ripped off and will have NO INSURANCE COVER therefore you are driving your car illegally.

Originally Posted by Graham2005
an insurance compan that will insure a uk plated car in spain for 1 year??
sorry, they do not exist, that is illegal. a vehicle must be legal in its country of residence, and may only be used on foreign roads for a maximum of six months.

Last edited by bfg69bug; May 15th 2006 at 5:01 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.