Car Insurance

Old Nov 2nd 2005, 2:05 pm
Just Joined

Graham2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Car Insurance

Good Afternoon ! I am going to live in Spain in January and I am wanting to take my car (UK registered) there for the first year. I am looking for insurance cover for this time but cannot seem to find any companies that insure for the whole 365 days, only 90 & 180 days. Can anyone suggest any companies I can use ? Or if you have any advice for me about taking my car to Spain please I would be grateful for any of your comments. Many Thanks
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 10:58 am
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Car Insurance

Originally Posted by Graham2005
Good Afternoon ! I am going to live in Spain in January and I am wanting to take my car (UK registered) there for the first year. I am looking for insurance cover for this time but cannot seem to find any companies that insure for the whole 365 days, only 90 & 180 days. Can anyone suggest any companies I can use ? Or if you have any advice for me about taking my car to Spain please I would be grateful for any of your comments. Many Thanks
Hello Graham2005,

Right for a start you can insure your car from the UK to come to Spain for a period of two (2) months only, ie Green card. then when you get to Spain you can find an insurance company that will insure your UK reg car for up to a year.

I used a company called Rose Rivers based in La Marina, in Alicante Provence. but the law states that you must re reg your car onto Spanish plates after a period of six (6) months, your car must a current Tax disc, MOT and the correct insurance to run on Spanish roads during the time you are sorting out your Spanish reg, then when you change over to Spanish plates your car will need to be reg with you local Suma office (for tax) and then have an ITV (Spanish MOT) spanish and insurance.

All these conditions can be met while you have your car here in Spain.

David SR
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 1:08 pm
Just Joined

Excellent !

thanks for the advice - very helpful

just wondered if you knew the approx. cost of transferring to Spanish plates (ie. importing the car). My car is just a normal Ford Focus 2001 diesel ?

Any advice or comments would be most grateful
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 2:09 pm
Forum Regular

countryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the roughcountryboy is a jewel in the rough

Excellent !

thanks for the advice - very helpful

just wondered if you knew the approx. cost of transferring to Spanish plates (ie. importing the car). My car is just a normal Ford Focus 2001 diesel ?

Any advice or comments would be most grateful
Prices charged for re-reg your car can vary depending on who does it, if you do it yourself it runs around 150 euros, if you use the services of an agent "Gestor" (a Mr fix It) your costs can be upwards of 300/400 euros. It all depends on which way you want to go the paper work is all in Spanish and the system can be very slow at times.

There are some very interesting articals on other forums and different sites on this subject.

Importing your car

Importing and Registering your Car

I do hope these help you with your question. Good Luck
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 4:00 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for all your help !

My girlfriend is Spanish so i think we maybe able to get away with using a gestor.

In your experience are there any costs involved in physically changing the car ?
Old Nov 3rd 2005, 5:12 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all your help !

My girlfriend is Spanish so i think we maybe able to get away with using a gestor.

In your experience are there any costs involved in physically changing the car ?
If it's anything like the UK (i assume it would be as it's all EU) when you import a LHD car to a RHD country (UK) you have to change the front headlights or use those reflective strips, also you need to move the rear fog light over side.

So in Spain you would need to convert your lights to driving on the other side and the rear fog from right to the left of the car to be absolutely legal.

Tho I'm sure as it's Spain these things are looked over more than not.

BTW, the difference in lights is the direction is different so if you were driving a UK (RHD) car in a LHD country it would blind oncoming traffic.
Old Nov 4th 2005, 10:34 am
Just Joined

Hi Countryboy !

Seen as you have the knowledge

Do you know if what Zel is saying is true for the physical changes to a car ?

Cheers
Old Nov 5th 2005, 12:03 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Countryboy !

Seen as you have the knowledge

Do you know if what Zel is saying is true for the physical changes to a car ?

Cheers
Zel is correct in his/her statement but as your car is a Ford you should have no problem with the lights issue as you can go to the dealership and get them from stock, The same applies to the rear fog lamp. there are items you must carry in your car by law, I will list them below.

Driving License: You must have your original. or at least a copy of your current valid driving license. (Copy must be Stamped by traffico police)

Insurance Certificate: You must have the original or at least a copy of your vehicle insurance document. You must also have a receipt from your bank proving your insurance payments are up to date.

MOT certificate current. (Spanish ITV)

Vehicle Purchase Papers: You are required to carry paperwork confirming the purchase of the vehicle you are driving. (If UK car then Log Book)

Lamps Spares: To have a set of replacement bulbs is compulsory. (If seald beams you must carry two spares)

Luminous Yellow Jackets: Road safety approved yellow ‘awareness' jacket. for each person inside the car Should you have an accident or breakdown you are legally required to wear your jacket all times you are outside of your vehicle.

Hazard Triangles: It is required of you to carry two hazard warning triangle. Should you break down you must place these roughly 100 yards in front of and behind your vehicle. If you only have one triangle, position it clearly visible to oncoming drivers.

First Aid Kit: You must have at least a basic first aid kit in your car.

Glasses: if you use glasses to drive then you must carry a second set in the car.

Basic Tool Kit: you must carry a basic tool kit for minor repares/changing wheel.

I hope you would have these items in your car when you enter Spain, as If your are stopped for any reason by the police and you dont have these items in your car you will face an "On the spot fine" of up to 300 euros.

good luck
David SR