Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car importing - is it worth it?

Car importing - is it worth it?

Old Feb 5th 2014, 4:25 pm
Josh in Spain

Joddle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car importing - is it worth it?

We have a UK car which comes to Spain sometimes but now we are doing less and less return trips so have to think about getting a Spanish car which can stay here. However someone said why not import you current UK car? I knew that could be done but is it worth it?

The things to consider seem to be:

a) We can't afford a brand new car but Spanish 2nd hand cars are very expensive so on vehicle cost bringing the UK one over seems to be an advantage.

b) Our UK car although very well maintained is getting on a bit now - however may be good for three or four more years - the cost of a Spanish equivalent is about 5000e - but the resale value in the UK is less than a quarter of that.

c) at the end of the day we know the vehicle will have no real value in Spain as its RHD but at that age thats no big deal - it will have done us well.

What we don't know is the costs of doing all the legal work to import it.

Exporting fom the UK seems to be the easiest bit but getting registered and tested and taxed etc in Spain appears to be far more complex. We know we will have to convert the headlights but the car does conform to EU standards so is it worth considering?

At sometime we will also be buying a larger Spanish car for use here and to travel on occasions to the UK and other countries but our UK car is smaller and so for everyday use would be a great runabout over here.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 5:08 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car importing - is it worth it?

Somebody else will be along soon with specific details but ....

We imported our UK car because it was a known quantity and my wife loves it. She prefers to drive that one rather than our other LHD - but then she doesn't drive much (thank g*d ).

The cost was quite high I suppose because we had to pay the initial 'registration' tax (or whatever it's called) - no one had mentioned to us that this can be avoided.

Don't forget that it's not just the headlights that will need changing. If you only have a single reversing light and/or a single rear fog light, then these should be changed as well.

Other than that, the process is actually quite simple but we paid a gestor some small amount to do it all for us.
Old Feb 5th 2014, 5:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

dorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond reputedorishaslop has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Car importing - is it worth it?

We brought our Rover over..(lol) it was a cheap little runabout with low mileage and was a good car.. it cost me nearly nine hundred euros to get it matriculated in November.. new lights etc.. itv... it only had 47K on the clock... I was happy with it... however, driving down the road last weekend.. and poof, the cam belt broke... said car in now in the scrapyard in the sky and I'm now looking to buy another... so yes.. if you're happy with your car then bring it... matriculation is not cheap but neither are second hand cars here... but if you need to drive then there's not much choice. good luck xx
Old Feb 5th 2014, 5:49 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The process is simpler these days BUT to avoid the first registration tax you have to do it within 60 days of the first date you sign onto the padron (it used to be that you could get the British Consulate to confirm the first day you entered Spain, but these days they take the date from the padron in my experience).

Both headlights and rear lights must be correct equal to a left hand drive car, and the tyres must be European made (caution on Jeeps and the like). If your car has a certificate of European conformity it will help and save you money. Also make sure you have Co2 emissions on the V05C log book.

Ask if you have any specific questions

Davexf
Old Feb 7th 2014, 7:38 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I have matriculated 2 cars, the first via a mechanic the second by myself, all paperwork etc etc.

My car cost me £10k 3 years before the move. Web engines suggested its value was £2.5k. So I used it for my final drive from the UK, its outside with only 58k on the clock and 10 years old.

Matriculation cost me about €2k, mainly because the ITV station refused to accept the "fudge" lever for touring as a permanent setting so I had to have new LHD lamps fitted and adjusted.

The BH's car also new headlamps but failed on the tyres. Spain insists that the Speed Rating of the OEM tyres is adhered to - something AFAIK Britain still doesn't check. Still it was only about €1500. Check the tyre pressure plate on your car which will give the full specification

The paperwork is relatively simple just it is in Spanish and not in English, but is doable for someone with a little bit of sense. Saves €100 for a gestor to do it for you, and you start to learn your way around the Hacienda and Trafico and do meet some nice people who help you to improve your Spanish.

hth

Last edited by Domino; Feb 7th 2014 at 7:41 pm.