Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

car import to the UK

car import to the UK

Old Sep 27th 2013, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Porth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond reputePorth has a reputation beyond repute
Default car import to the UK

Sorry I am pushing my luck here and yes tenuous but the car is leaving Spain for the UK!

In dispute with DVLA simple really they have not sent me the form to re-register the car back in the UK. It was produced in the UK and then exported to France and has its original French plates plus insurance.

So their advice is to re-place the French plates and then drive it!

However they also say I have to advise the HMRC? that the vehicle is coming back. We paid VAT on it when we originally bought it.

Is this anything to do with HMRC please.
Old Sep 28th 2013, 4:16 am
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car import to the UK

We brought our car from the UK and had it re-registered onto Spanish plates.

Then we took it back to the UK and had it re-registered onto British plates. We just went to the nearest DVLA office, filled in the forms and got the new number plates a few days later. We had no dealings with HMRC.

As long a you car is road legal in its country of registration you can drive it in the UK for six months before you need change it over, so it does not have to be all done in a rush.

I hope this helps.