Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

CAR IMPORT TAXes

CAR IMPORT TAXes

Old May 17th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

vox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the rough
Default CAR IMPORT TAXes

If I bring a car to spain via ship for personal use what taxes do i have to pay to import and itv with change of reg to espania?
Old May 17th 2011, 8:34 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAR IMPORT TAXes

Import tax does not (as far as I know) have to paid if you have owned the car for more than 6 months.

rosemary
Old May 17th 2011, 8:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

There is no import tax on cars brought into Spain from another EU country.

What you may have to pay is a registration tax which can be as high as 14.75% of the current value of the car.

This has nothing to do with the fact that you imported the car, it is the tax that is paid on every car registered in Spain.

If you are moving to Spain to live, by a special concession, you may be able to avoid this tax if you register the car shortly after bringing it into the country. You may need some special paperwork from the British Embassy to prove that you have permanently left the UK. You must also have owned the car in the UK for at least 6 months.

If it is RHD vehicle you will have to pay any costs associated with changing over the lights and on top of that there is a fee for a special ITV and some other taxes and charges.

I have no experience of this company but their website has some useful information on the subject. Look in their FAQ section.

http://www.replatematecostablanca.com/default.htm
Old May 18th 2011, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

pwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond reputepwwm has a reputation beyond repute

The newer the car the more you pay. we have done the process a couplel of times, but always cars of 10 yr old. can be costly
Old May 18th 2011, 10:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: CAR IMPORT TAXes

Originally Posted by pwwm
The newer the car the more you pay. we have done the process a couplel of times, but always cars of 10 yr old. can be costly
Why?
Old May 18th 2011, 12:24 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

My car was 12 years old when I bought it over, and it was only costly because I started the matriculation too late after I resided here. It was also a grey import from Japan (registered in the UK) so it was not a simple task
Old May 18th 2011, 2:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
My car was 12 years old when I bought it over, and it was only costly because I started the matriculation too late after I resided here. It was also a grey import from Japan (registered in the UK) so it was not a simple task
I have just brought over my 14 yr old Skoda Felicia 1.9GLD and looking up the tables previously posted it should cost just 60€ to pay the first registration tax. It has LH headlights fitted and 2 reversing lamps and 2 rear fog lamps as standard. The documention from new has the conformity cert and I serviced it before leaving with new brakes all round and new back box on the exhaust. It was also given a rigerous MOT so it should be OK for ITV. I dont reside here coz I can't get an appointment for our Residencia Certificates, the telephone appointments system has been stopped and the only way is by internet and I just can't get past the first page. I did blag my way into the office past the security guard and screens but they threw us out so I will just have to do it with out being resident!
Old May 18th 2011, 6:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

vox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the roughvox populia is a jewel in the rough

Thanks for the replies guys I still dont know though the total actual costs??
Old May 18th 2011, 6:47 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vox populia
We can't tell you that - it depends on the car and age and what mods it may need and which gestor you use. If you can avoid the registration tax it may be economic to do it, if not it could cost you more than it is worth particularly if it is a relatively new, high emission vehicle.
Old May 18th 2011, 8:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It is individual depending on the make, model and year of the car. How much work you wish to do to prepare it for the Spanish ITV and does it have any mods or was it a self import to uk from Japan or USA.
Old May 19th 2011, 8:00 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

OK, a 1995 grey import, 2 lit V6, petrol worth maybe £3000 cost around €1200 including the import taxes. It had no conformity certificate, I didnt change the headlights (as none existed). Thats in Valencia.
Old May 19th 2011, 10:35 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

I didnt change the headlights (as none existed).
Old May 19th 2011, 12:17 pm
Jur

Jur is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I have just brought over my 14 yr old Skoda Felicia 1.9GLD and looking up the tables previously posted it should cost just 60€ to pay the first registration tax. It has LH headlights fitted and 2 reversing lamps and 2 rear fog lamps as standard. The documention from new has the conformity cert and I serviced it before leaving with new brakes all round and new back box on the exhaust. It was also given a rigerous MOT so it should be OK for ITV. I dont reside here coz I can't get an appointment for our Residencia Certificates, the telephone appointments system has been stopped and the only way is by internet and I just can't get past the first page. I did blag my way into the office past the security guard and screens but they threw us out so I will just have to do it with out being resident!
The tel.nr is 902 575 757, it´s a central nr. And you´re correct you can´t just go there anymore without an appointment. You don´t need to be a resident to have the car re-matriculated. If you need help: http://luzservices.weebly.com/
Old May 19th 2011, 12:21 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
OK, a 1995 grey import, 2 lit V6, petrol worth maybe £3000 cost around €1200 including the import taxes. It had no conformity certificate, I didnt change the headlights (as none existed). Thats in Valencia.
ouch.
Old May 19th 2011, 7:30 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
No LHD headlights existed, I mean

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.