Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Hire - yet again (groan)

Car Hire - yet again (groan)

Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:33 pm
Forum Regular

Jeanie27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Hire - yet again (groan)

I have been a member of this forum for a long time now but don't tend to post very often. I like to watch the chit-chat, enjoy the banter, and often gain some very useful information, but I sort of stay on the sidelines until something really provokes me to post. Something has today and I want to share it as a warning to others who may not be in the know.

I appreciate that other people have had different expreiences but this was ours today.

OK, in Spain now. A big thumbs up for Easyjet and Southend airport who helped smooth the way incredibly with my (temporarily) disabled husband but a massive thumbs down for the rip off merchants at the car hire in Malaga airport

For anyone looking to hire in Spain and thinking about choosing Carjet - think again. They are now in cahoots with Advantage car hire who refuse to recognise the top up car insurance sold by Carjet. We had a very rude and arrogant rep from Advantage tell us that anything we do with Carjet is between us and them. Pay their additional insurance or don't tae the car. Ased for refund so we can go somewhere else, refused. Why? Because we booked with Carjet, who, of course, they don't recognise.

Save your money people and go somewhere where they have got their act together. We paid a lot of money to Carjet (over 1400 euros) and by the time that Advantage had added on all of their 'extras' we were stuck with a bill for another 240.

In future we will go with a company where you pay on arrival. At least that gives the option of walking away and going somewhere else.
Old Aug 7th 2012, 11:37 pm
Forum Regular

Default Re: Car Hire - yet again (groan)

Oh, and by the way. We showed them the mail from Carjet advising us to 'politely decline and offer of additional insurance made in resort', and were told (q) "I'm not interested in anything that Carjet tell you. That's a private arrangement between you and them"

Clearly this 'arrangement' isn't something that Advantage have agreed to and Carjet have mis-sold the policy.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:45 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Its not Carjet its the Spanish car hire company.

Friends and rellies have used different online booking companies and ALL have been asked to pay the additional premium when they arrive with them saying the same thing.

Its no different to the full/full scam, for years it was empty andyou buy the fuel, now they rip you off with providing a full tank at inflated prices.

Business is down and they are looking for ways to take more money.....
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Its not Carjet its the Spanish car hire company.
If they booked with Carjet and were allocated Advantage, or whoever, it's everything to do with Carjet. You think it's OK to pay Carjet extra insurance and then pay again to one of their allocated companies? FWIW, I gave up on Carjet many years ago, load of crooks.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:35 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by agoreira
If they booked with Carjet and were allocated Advantage, or whoever, it's everything to do with Carjet. You think it's OK to pay Carjet extra insurance and then pay again to one of their allocated companies? FWIW, I gave up on Carjet many years ago, load of crooks.

If you take the time to re-read my post you will see its F all to do with Carjet its the rip off Spanish car hire companies who are exploiting this......................

If renters read the small print it states quite clearly that the additional insurance is valid and how to make a claim....................

Caveat Emptor
Old Aug 8th 2012, 8:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
If you take the time to re-read my post you will see its F all to do with Carjet its the rip off Spanish car hire companies who are exploiting this......................

If renters read the small print it states quite clearly that the additional insurance is valid and how to make a claim....................

Caveat Emptor
I have had this with hire companies as I have an annual policy, you just refuse their insurance, they can't force you to take it. Yes they will hold a deposit on your card to cover possible damage no damage no charges any damage claim of your policy.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
I have had this with hire companies as I have an annual policy, you just refuse their insurance, they can't force you to take it. Yes they will hold a deposit on your card to cover possible damage no damage no charges any damage claim of your policy.
Same here, this year was the first year I have been asked for a deposit, but always refuse the extra insurance. They didn't actually take a deposit, just the card details, so nothing to refund when the car is returned undamaged.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

This is true, however, in all of our trips to Spain I have rarely had a car that hasn't been damaged or scratched in some way. Sometimes this is mentioned on the rental agreement but most time it hasn't been. With such an obvious scam as what happened last night I had absolutely no confidence that we would have got all of our deposit back.

We decided in the end to pay the extra and argue it out with Carjet later. Despite what they say about refusing any extra insurance offered they must be aware what goes on at point of collection and should not be encouraging the sale of the top up in the UK. They seriously need to get this sorted.

I emailed Carjet last night. If they reply I feel that it may be the start of a long drawn out battle to get our money back.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 9:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Jeanie27
This is true, however, in all of our trips to Spain I have rarely had a car that hasn't been damaged or scratched in some way. Sometimes this is mentioned on the rental agreement but most time it hasn't been. With such an obvious scam as what happened last night I had absolutely no confidence that we would have got all of our deposit back.
The onus is on you to check the vehicle, certainly every car I hire has a diagram of a car with the dents etc marked on that form. It's up to you to insist they add any that aren't marked, don't accept, "oh that's alright, we know about that one" If they do, why isn't it itemised, insist they do it. I have been renting for about 25 years and up until last year had never had a scatch. However last year I took it back quite badly damaged, certainly well over £1,000 to put right, and they never said anything. Nothing at all to pay, but I have used them a lot.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

The onus is on you to check the vehicle, certainly every car I hire has a diagram of a car with the dents etc marked on that form. It's up to you to insist they add any that aren't marked, don't accept, "oh that's alright, we know about that one" If they do, why isn't it itemised, insist they do it. I have been renting for about 25 years and up until last year had never had a scatch. However last year I took it back quite badly damaged, certainly well over £1,000 to put right, and they never said anything. Nothing at all to pay, but I have used them a lot.
Yes agree you have to check the diagram of the car that any scratches etc marked on if not then mark them on sheet/diagram go back to the desk and get them to sign as aware of damage. The extra insurance is usually for underneath, tyres and glass including mirrors. Last year I had one hire that was a nightmare, within an hour of picking up the car was broke into and daughters case stolen. i reported this to police and the hire co, no problem they said. Couple of days later dunched car reversing out of covered bay quite bad I thought including smashing indicator repeater glass, again phoned and informed Hire Co (automotive cars) no problem they said again we'll have a look when you return it. When I took it back week later I appologised the girl looked at it and said "oh that's nothing just a little bit of damage you are covered for that no problem" end of story didn't have to pay anything. When I hire from them they ask if you want extra insurance I show them my annual cover no problem they say we have to offer it that's all. Record on the other hand get quite shirty with me and I usually end up with a marked car which I ensure they record. I have an hire in 2 weeks which is with them Record ( I wasn't aware when I booked through do you spain ) I am ready for an argument but will not be paying extra insurance. I know some of them can be quite pushy but as I say you do not have to take it. If you are hiring regular (I hire at least 4/5 times a year) I get annual policy for £39 less than I would pay them for 1 hire.

Last edited by bobd22; Aug 8th 2012 at 5:35 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 5:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jeanie27

We decided in the end to pay the extra and argue it out with Carjet later. Despite what they say about refusing any extra insurance offered they must be aware what goes on at point of collection and should not be encouraging the sale of the top up in the UK. They seriously need to get this sorted.

I emailed Carjet last night. If they reply I feel that it may be the start of a long drawn out battle to get our money back.
I have used Carjet for a number of years and they have never been a problem, including taking out its extra insurance or with an annual policy.
If you book with Carjet you are insured for almost everything. The additional insurance is for tyres and glass. I never check the condition of the car for that reason and have never had a problem.

I did book direct with Advantage quite recently and they refused my annual insurance insisting I took out their additional cover. I didn't argue as it was only for 3 days hire and excluding fuel and additional insurance the hirer cost was only just over 11 euros for the 3 days.

When I have used Advantage through Carjet it has never been a problem.

I do think the renters try it on though but definitely not Carjets fault.

Rather than emailing Carjet ,try ringing them. I have always find them helpful if I wished to change renters. 02076226611

Last edited by johnnyone; Aug 8th 2012 at 6:00 pm.
Old Aug 8th 2012, 6:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Always check your car has a parcel shelf too when you collect it! We were once charged 80€ for a missing parcel shelf when we got back to UK as although the parcel shelf was missing when we collected the car, we didn't get this marked on our document, in spite of having comprehensive insurance (plus top up insurance for wheels and tyres). If you ever bother to report damage they say 'Oh yes, we know about that'. I did eventually get a refund, but probably spent a fair amount of it on phone-calls to Spain arguing my position!
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice

Yes agree you have to check the diagram of the car that any scratches etc marked on if not then mark them on sheet/diagram go back to the desk and get them to sign as aware of damage. The extra insurance is usually for underneath, tyres and glass including mirrors. Last year I had one hire that was a nightmare, within an hour of picking up the car was broke into and daughters case stolen. i reported this to police and the hire co, no problem they said. Couple of days later dunched car reversing out of covered bay quite bad I thought including smashing indicator repeater glass, again phoned and informed Hire Co (automotive cars) no problem they said again we'll have a look when you return it. When I took it back week later I appologised the girl looked at it and said "oh that's nothing just a little bit of damage you are covered for that no problem" end of story didn't have to pay anything. When I hire from them they ask if you want extra insurance I show them my annual cover no problem they say we have to offer it that's all. Record on the other hand get quite shirty with me and I usually end up with a marked car which I ensure they record. I have an hire in 2 weeks which is with them Record ( I wasn't aware when I booked through do you spain ) I am ready for an argument but will not be paying extra insurance. I know some of them can be quite pushy but as I say you do not have to take it. If you are hiring regular (I hire at least 4/5 times a year) I get annual policy for £39 less than I would pay them for 1 hire.
Hi, Would you mind if I ask who your annual policy is with? I did not know you could take out an annual policy to cover you for car hire. Is it full cover, comprehensive?
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chocaholic22
Hi, Would you mind if I ask who your annual policy is with? I did not know you could take out an annual policy to cover you for car hire. Is it full cover, comprehensive?
Sounds like the one he uses is cheaper than mine, but I have used these for many years. I haven't needed to claim, but from feedback I have seen, they have a good record. If you google "car hire excess insurance" there are loads doing it now. It covers all the extras that normal car hire insurance doesn't. You can use the insurance as many times as you wish up to a max of 31 days.
http://www.insurance4carhire.com/
Old Aug 8th 2012, 7:20 pm
Forum Regular

chocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nicechocaholic22 is just really nice

Sounds like the one he uses is cheaper than mine, but I have used these for many years. I haven't needed to claim, but from feedback I have seen, they have a good record. If you google "car hire excess insurance" there are loads doing it now. It covers all the extras that normal car hire insurance doesn't. You can use the insurance as many times as you wish up to a max of 31 days.
http://www.insurance4carhire.com/
Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.