Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

car hire in gibraltar

car hire in gibraltar

Old May 20th 2008, 9:37 pm
Just Joined

mojod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default car hire in gibraltar

We are looking to fly into gibraltar in a a couple of weeks and want to hire a car to travel upto Jerez but we have heard that there can be problems and a long wait at the border to go across into Spain, and also that some car hire companies want you to make your way on foot across the border (with luggage in tow) and pick up the hire car on the Spanish side. would like to hear from anyone who has hired a car from Gibraltar in the past and how they got on
Old May 21st 2008, 7:39 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: car hire in gibraltar

1. why not fly direct into Jerez
2. the arrivals door of the airport at Gib is about as close as you can get to the border
3. you will be treated better on the road with a Spanish plate than a Gib plate
Old May 21st 2008, 11:50 am
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

Some say the walk between Gibraltar airport and the border is actually shorter than the walk from the plane to the arrivals hall in Malaga airport.

I would recommend a car hire in La Linea. Though I dont know any specific good ones. Ive been told the Carjet website is good. Theres a taxi rank right at the border too if you need a taxi anywhere to pick up the car.

Faililng that AVIS isn't far from Gibraltar airport. There can be a bit of a queue to get out of Gibraltar but this is usually between about 4.15pm to 7pm.. And then a queue to get in between 8am and 10am.

Where El Capitan said you will be treated better on the road with a Spanish plate. Erm, yes he's right. But I wouldnt worry too much. Youre hiring the car, everything is legal. So if you were randomly pulled over, like our beloved Guardia Civil loves doing, then you simply show them the paperwork and off you go. What they dont like you doing is having a Gibraltar registered car but living in Spain. I have my spanish registered car and get my fair share of being pulled over at the border for a search just as much as everyone else.

Enjoy your trip
Old May 21st 2008, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

We always hire from crown on the La Linea side. The walk isn't bad (only about 10 mins). There is a desk at Gibraltar airport, so they can give you the exact directions. I think when you book the car there is an option to book Gibratar Airport -Spain.

If you have kids there is a Macdonalds on the way to the Car Pick up, on the Spanish side, so you could leave your family and cases there and pick them up once you have the car, and again when you need to drop off the car.

I find this the most stress free way. Not so much on arrival, but when departing they last thing you need is a long queue to get into Gibraltar!
Old May 21st 2008, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

mojod is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

Many thanks for your tips....we usually fly into Jerez from Stanstead on the morning flight, but as Ryanair have now cancelled the early flight thought we'd try Gatwick as it is closer to us. Read some notes on the Crown Hire site and thought it sounded v.strange having having to go over the border with luggage to pick up a car in a car park on the Spanish side, but you have all made it so clear...will check out crown and carjet...once again thanks all!
Old May 21st 2008, 8:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
3. you will be treated better on the road with a Spanish plate than a Gib plate
If you rent a car from a Gib company for use in Spain it will be Spanish plated.

European citizens are only allowed to drive cars in Europe that are Duty Paid in Europe.
Spain interprets this as VAT paid.
Gibraltar does not have VAT but their cars are Duty paid.
Another way for Spain to attack Gibraltar's economy.
Old May 22nd 2008, 7:21 am
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
If you rent a car from a Gib company for use in Spain it will be Spanish plated.

European citizens are only allowed to drive cars in Europe that are Duty Paid in Europe.
Spain interprets this as VAT paid.
Gibraltar does not have VAT but their cars are Duty paid.
Another way for Spain to attack Gibraltar's economy.
Yes Fred in respect of a hire car probably having a Spanish plate but on the rest, you are suggesting that every Gib plated car driving in Spain is illegal. As the border control and the Guardia happily let Gib plated cars through the border this doesnt make sense.
Old May 22nd 2008, 10:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by El Capitan
Yes Fred in respect of a hire car probably having a Spanish plate but on the rest, you are suggesting that every Gib plated car driving in Spain is illegal. As the border control and the Guardia happily let Gib plated cars through the border this doesnt make sense.

No
Sorry my post was possible not clear.
To drive a Gib plated car in Spain you must be a Gibraltar resident and have proof of that.
Therefore a tourist from elswhere in Europe does not qualify