Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Hire Charges for Additional Driver

Car Hire Charges for Additional Driver

Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:30 am
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light
Default Car Hire Charges for Additional Driver

I booked our car hire with www.doyouspain.com as I always do, way back in October for our trip out to Spain next week.
I printed off the booking confirmation as normal. This morning, they emailed me a 'reminder' in the form of a new booking confirmation which now includes the line
Additional driver: 9eur/week (maximum 18?)
I am sure that in the past I have always been able to put my husband's name on the rental agreement without an extra charge.
I am querying the matter with them (it's only 18€ but its a question of principal).
Anyone else had this problem?
Old Jul 4th 2011, 9:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Car Hire Charges for Additional Driver

Originally Posted by noelrosie
I booked our car hire with www.doyouspain.com as I always do, way back in October for our trip out to Spain next week.
I printed off the booking confirmation as normal. This morning, they emailed me a 'reminder' in the form of a new booking confirmation which now includes the line
Additional driver: 9eur/week (maximum 18?)
I am sure that in the past I have always been able to put my husband's name on the rental agreement without an extra charge.
I am querying the matter with them (it's only 18€ but its a question of principal).
Anyone else had this problem?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Spain it's the car that is insured not the driver.
So I don't understand the extra charge
Old Jul 4th 2011, 9:44 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
Correct me if I'm wrong, but in Spain it's the car that is insured not the driver.
So I don't understand the extra charge
Not always - you can decide.

It is normal for the car to be insured but as I say, not always.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 9:53 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Saxy
That's a bit of an oversimplification.

All car insurance policies in Spain or anywhere else cover the car.

The policy stipulates who can drive the car.

In Spain most policies cover any driver over the age of 25 (this varies from company to company). The insurer can limit who drives if they wish to.

Car hire companies may have different insurance terms with their insurers which limit the number of drivers.

It's far more likely that it is just an excuse to make more money!
Old Jul 4th 2011, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fred James
That's a bit of an oversimplification.

All car insurance policies in Spain or anywhere else cover the car.

The policy stipulates who can drive the car.

In Spain most policies cover any driver over the age of 25 (this varies from company to company). The insurer can limit who drives if they wish to.

Car hire companies may have different insurance terms with their insurers which limit the number of drivers.

It's far more likely that it is just an excuse to make more money!
When I bought a car from a very reputable hire company, I paid a deposit and drove the car on a three day trial on their insurance. No name on any documents. When I enquired of my insurance company about named drivers on the policy I was told that it was the car that was insured not the drivers.
Old Jul 4th 2011, 1:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

noelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of lightnoelrosie is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for your advice everyone.
I decided to check www.carjet.co.uk and see what their policy on extra drivers is and although they also charge per additional driver, the same car for the same number of days came in 150€ less than I was due to pay for my booking with www.doyouspain.com
So the moral of the story is, if you book your hire car well in advance (we booked last October for July2011) check again nearer the time and see if the price has gone down! I'm glad I did
Old Jul 4th 2011, 1:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for your advice everyone.
I decided to check www.carjet.co.uk and see what their policy on extra drivers is and although they also charge per additional driver, the same car for the same number of days came in 150€ less than I was due to pay for my booking with www.doyouspain.com
So the moral of the story is, if you book your hire car well in advance (we booked last October for July2011) check again nearer the time and see if the price has gone down! I'm glad I did
Well done
Old Jul 4th 2011, 6:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I've also seen it work the other way, due to a shortage of cars in peak period, high prices, or no cars available. In the past demand has exceeded supply. I know in Málaga in the past people were turning up and there were no cars, or their contract had been increased to some crazy price. It's good it worked to your advantage, but depending on time of year, it's not always the best option.
This was warning from a few months ago
http://www.hispacar.com/blogs/es/unc...sta-en-espana/
Old Jul 4th 2011, 8:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agoreira
I've also seen it work the other way, due to a shortage of cars in peak period, high prices, or no cars available. In the past demand has exceeded supply. I know in Málaga in the past people were turning up and there were no cars, or their contract had been increased to some crazy price. It's good it worked to your advantage, but depending on time of year, it's not always the best option.
This was warning from a few months ago
http://www.hispacar.com/blogs/es/unc...sta-en-espana/
That is why we booked our summer car hire so early this time(i.e. last October) - in the past we have had difficulty securing the car we wanted for our summer holiday.
When we come out in the Spring or Autumn, its never a problem.
I am just pleased that I checked rates with another provider today, and that I was able to cancel my original booking!
Old Jul 5th 2011, 9:53 am
MEL & JOHN

MEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond reputeMEL & JOHN has a reputation beyond repute

When I collect a car they ask for my driving licence but we usually have another 2 drivers free but they don't require their licences. I feel concerned that if they were driving and there was an accident as they are not on the rental agreement that the insurance would not pay out. I am sure that on Travel Rent/ Economy Car Hire or Ins4carhire I read that only drivers named on the rental agreement would be covered. must look at the docs and T & C's before my next trip but any thoughts ?

Mel
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MEL & JOHN
When I collect a car they ask for my driving licence but we usually have another 2 drivers free but they don't require their licences. I feel concerned that if they were driving and there was an accident as they are not on the rental agreement that the insurance would not pay out. I am sure that on Travel Rent/ Economy Car Hire or Ins4carhire I read that only drivers named on the rental agreement would be covered. must look at the docs and T & C's before my next trip but any thoughts ?
Mel
I always put my wife on as additional driver (not sure why, she's never driven in Spain!) they have always taken her passport/driving licence details, and I've never had to pay for that. If I want an extra additional driver, I would have to pay for that, but the first additional driver has always been free when I've rented.
Old Jul 5th 2011, 10:16 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Mel
that would be my understanding in the UK, don't see why Spain should be any different.
putting the names of additional drivers on the docs means the hiring co have seen the licence and noted any restrictions

with the new plastic ID card driving licence how does hiring co know if you have been banned or have unacceptable points ? ?
Old Jul 5th 2011, 7:08 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Mel
That is against the law, every driver has to be named and their licence checked that it is valid.
Apart from an insurance problem you will also have one with the police.
Old Jul 6th 2011, 6:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

You do not pay for up to 3 extra drivers with our local company, also, just name and licence number taken, no paper details required. There is also NO extra charge for these extra drivers
Old Jul 6th 2011, 7:24 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
with the new plastic ID card driving licence how does hiring co know if you have been banned or have unacceptable points ? ?
Because you are supposed to produce the paper extension to the licence which gives that info.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.