Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

car Hire from 8th June

car Hire from 8th June

Old Apr 27th 2015, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

Luz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the roughLuz liver is a jewel in the rough
Default car Hire from 8th June

Saw this on BBC website:

Motorists going abroad after 8 June are being warned they will need to take a special code with them if they want to hire a car.
From that date the paper counterpart of UK driving licences - which records endorsements and fines - is being computerised.
Anyone wanting to hire a car abroad will officially need a code to show convictions for offences like speeding.
To obtain it, motorists will have to log on to the DVLA website beforehand.
But the code is only valid for 72 hours, so anyone wanting to hire a car more than three days into their trip will need to generate a new code while they are abroad.
For those who do not have internet access, a phone number will also be made available.
The RAC said many drivers were unaware of the changes.
"Our research shows that with just over a month to go before the paper counterpart to the photo-card licence disappears, 55% of drivers are not aware of the planned change," said RAC spokesman Simon Williams.
'Belt and braces'
The DVLA recommends destroying paper counterparts after 8 June.
However the AA is advising people to hang on to the document, in case some hire companies are unaware of the new arrangements.
"Not all car rental companies, or indeed traffic police abroad, will be aware of the changes, so a 'belt and braces' approach of also taking the counterpart might help," said AA president Edmund King.
But the AA also said that hiring a car abroad without a paper counterpart is not always a problem.
Just as some car hire companies do not currently ask for a counterpart, not all will ask for a code after 8 June.
The old-style paper licences, issued before the photo card was introduced in 1998, will remain valid.
To view a record of their convictions, motorists can log on to the View My Driving licence page of the government website.
They will need their driving licence number, their national insurance number and their postcode
Old Apr 27th 2015, 5:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default car Hire from 8th June

Just seen on BBC News that from the 8th June UK is doing away with paper counterpart to driving licence which records endorsments. However seemingly from that date if hiring a car abroad you require a code which you get from the DVLA Website. They say if you do not have this code you will not get a hire car? I hadn't heard this before o was aware of the fact they were doing away with the paper part only. Just in case anyone will be hiring after 8th June.
Old Apr 27th 2015, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car Hire from 8th June

Yes, absolutely bonkers but true, the code lasts for 72 hours then should be renewed, a lot of hire car companies don't know about it yet, mad
Old Apr 28th 2015, 5:52 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New documents for car hire after June 8th.

Originally Posted by Luz liver
Saw this on BBC website:

Motorists going abroad after 8 June are being warned they will need to take a special code with them if they want to hire a car.
From that date the paper counterpart of UK driving licences - which records endorsements and fines - is being computerised.
Anyone wanting to hire a car abroad will officially need a code to show convictions for offences like speeding.
To obtain it, motorists will have to log on to the DVLA website beforehand.
But the code is only valid for 72 hours, so anyone wanting to hire a car more than three days into their trip will need to generate a new code while they are abroad.
For those who do not have internet access, a phone number will also be made available.
The RAC said many drivers were unaware of the changes.
"Our research shows that with just over a month to go before the paper counterpart to the photo-card licence disappears, 55% of drivers are not aware of the planned change," said RAC spokesman Simon Williams.
'Belt and braces'
The DVLA recommends destroying paper counterparts after 8 June.
However the AA is advising people to hang on to the document, in case some hire companies are unaware of the new arrangements.
"Not all car rental companies, or indeed traffic police abroad, will be aware of the changes, so a 'belt and braces' approach of also taking the counterpart might help," said AA president Edmund King.
But the AA also said that hiring a car abroad without a paper counterpart is not always a problem.
Just as some car hire companies do not currently ask for a counterpart, not all will ask for a code after 8 June.
The old-style paper licences, issued before the photo card was introduced in 1998, will remain valid.
To view a record of their convictions, motorists can log on to the View My Driving licence page of the government website.
They will need their driving licence number, their national insurance number and their postcode
Wow this is great advice thanks. First Ive heard of it.

I agree with the AA... Absolutely don't destroy the paper counterpart, keep any 'evidence' on hand. If we've only found out so late, you can bet it will be ages till the car co's understand it. Look how long there has been issues with the tolls, (or 'toils' - pun intended!) - and they are Portuguese!!

Also Brit residents abroad may want to rent a car, and not be able to log in to the UK website which needs I suppose a UK postcode. And why make it valid only 72 hours!!

The UK government, great at implementing IT solutions...... not!

Thanks LL for the update

Jon
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:10 am
Just Joined

paulven is an unknown quantity at this point

Another silly regulation to scare people, 72 hours is ridiculous. No one has ever asked for the paper counterpart when I have hired a car or when I've been stopped by the Guardia Civil.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 8:13 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It may well be discontinued in June, but the advice from the AA is to keep the old one and use that on the rare occasions a foreign hire company will ask for it.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 9:59 am
BE Enthusiast

frigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud offrigilianafreddy has much to be proud of

Forget about the code just take the counterpart. Anyway in over 40 hires over 12 years in SPain i have never been asked for the counterpart.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 2:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frigilianafreddy
Forget about the code just take the counterpart. Anyway in over 40 hires over 12 years in SPain i have never been asked for the counterpart.
I wouldn't just ignore the code - you can get for free before leaving the UK. Belt & braces.
If you come across a savvy carehireco then it will need an online access to get one - and do you know your NINo? Could cost you a roaming datagram which is not free.
Old Apr 29th 2015, 5:46 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeJ
I wouldn't just ignore the code - you can get for free before leaving the UK. Belt & braces.
If you come across a savvy carehireco then it will need an online access to get one - and do you know your NINo? Could cost you a roaming datagram which is not free.
Hi

Ive put a link for this thread on the Portugal forum, though I think it may apply to rentals anywhere abroad. As if you have a UK driving licence you are using, perfectly legally abroad, this thread may be interesting.. read from first post

I agree with the belt-and-braces Mike - but does that mean every 72 hours you will print out a new form, just-in-case?

Also I know many expats living in the EU, like me, who haven't changed their UK driving license to the local one (I was told it wasn't necessary in Belgium - but I did it anyway).. and I bet it is valid elsewhere, even for residents.

So even if one knows the NI number, I don't think the UK system would work as I BET it only accepts a UK postcode.. And if they know your proper foreign address, - you are stuffed! (I have registered mine with the UK authorities, for eg pension stuff) I am only guessing here about this - but it wouldn't surprise me.

Maybe the DVLA system is not connected and it will accept the LAST postcode the licence was registered to. Though the NiNo is an interesting link. Who knows!!

Jon

ooooh Mike 'Roaming datagram' even if I have no idea what that is ...... you still talk so dirty

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Apr 29th 2015 at 5:53 am.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Gail01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very confusing, does this apply when you are hiring the car out or will a code need to be carried with you in case you get stopped by police etc?
Old Apr 30th 2015, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi

I agree with the belt-and-braces Mike - but does that mean every 72 hours you will print out a new form, just-in-case?

Jon

ooooh Mike 'Roaming datagram' even if I have no idea what that is ...... you still talk so dirty
Well I guess you will if you plan to hire a fresh car from a new provider every 72 hours!

I'm sure the authorities have their own access codes to check your licence if you are stopped.
Old May 6th 2015, 9:26 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by MikeJ
Well I guess you will if you plan to hire a fresh car from a new provider every 72 hours!

I'm sure the authorities have their own access codes to check your licence if you are stopped.

Update

https://www.economycarhire.com/blog/...tent=User+Link

Jon
Old Jun 4th 2015, 6:48 am
BE Positive

I just got this email from a car rental co I have used in the past, note that you will be refused rental without your NI no. So its not 100% a storm in a teacup.. as some have said.

Jon

On 8th June 2015, the UK driving licence counterpart is being abolished. Holders are recommended to destroy the document but must retain the card licence.

To comply with our insurance regulations, Green Motion in the United Kingdom are required to check online, the endorsements and restrictions which apply to a drivers licence.

As the government's Share My Licence Website is still under development, all UK driving licence holders are required to bring their National Insurance number in addition to their driving licence and ID when collecting their vehicle in the UK. Failure to do so will mean that we will be unable to commence with the hire and as such the booking will be refused.

Please ensure you remember to do so to enable the staff to conduct the online check and rent your vehicle to you. For further details visit http://www.gov.uk/government/news/dr...icence-changes

We would like to thank you in advance for your assistance, please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions or queries.
Old Jun 8th 2015, 1:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Chiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond reputeChiclanagir has a reputation beyond repute

And what about hiring in the UK on a Spanish licence? Will they be confused and refuse you a car?
Old Jun 8th 2015, 3:11 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Why? If you have a Spanish licence you will be treated the same as the hundreds of thousands of other foreign tourists with foreign licences!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.