Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car Health while away

Car Health while away

Old May 11th 2018, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold
Default Car Health while away

Does anyone have experience of leaving a car for 3 summer months while returning to the UK? We want to know if we should buy a cover for the car to protect it from the sun, dust, etc. It will be in a driveway behind a wall and gate, not on the street. Can we use a tarpaulin - much thicker but cheaper - instead of a car cover which all seem to be paper thin UPV?
Thank you.
Old May 11th 2018, 9:58 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Health while away

Originally Posted by ElizabethAnn
Does anyone have experience of leaving a car for 3 summer months while returning to the UK? We want to know if we should buy a cover for the car to protect it from the sun, dust, etc. It will be in a driveway behind a wall and gate, not on the street. Can we use a tarpaulin - much thicker but cheaper - instead of a car cover which all seem to be paper thin UPV?
Thank you.
I would think that anything which protects from the sun, which is real paint killer, would do as long as it securely fixed and allows good ventilation to prevent condensation. It might be worth a good waxing before as well, leave it on and clean off when you get back.
Old May 11th 2018, 10:43 am
Just Joined

janjan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, Prior to moving to Spain permanently, we used to leave our car behind for months on end. Luckily, we had a carport to leave it under, so can't comment about car covers/tarpaulins, but I would recommend that you disconnected the battery, because you will encounter a very flat one on your return.
Old May 11th 2018, 11:05 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Car covers can be dangerous. They are fine if

1, the car is thoroughly cleaned before they are put on
2, they are constructed with a soft interior - most of the good ones feel a bit fleecy
3, they breathe moisture but are strong enough in a strong wind - usually means a laminated construction with tiny holes in the waterproof layer
4, the car is left slightly open to allow moisture to escape
5, they are securely attached
6, if left on the road that any parking cpz sticker etc is visible, and that the license plate is visible - or it can be towed if they cant prove its there legally

its about making sure the paint isnt scratched, that mould etc cant build up anywhere. If you cant assure this, better to not cover it or find an exposed car port and just protect it from uv. If its in cold weather get a solar trickle charger - but it has to be plugged into the cars diagnostic port or you have to add a live always connection. Cigarette sockets are usually disabled if the ignitions off.

you can go further - if its for a really long time, take the wheels off, and ideally put them in a cool air conditioned place so the tyres survive [it data centres are ideal and are used in scandinavia for winter/summer wheel swaps] and you can change the oil, remove spark plugs, spray a little wd40 and turn the engine over to prevent over corrosion of the cylinders, and wd40 brake disks [obviously wash off before use] though this is a little extreme for some climates.

Last edited by uk_grenada; May 11th 2018 at 11:12 am.
Old May 11th 2018, 11:14 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

The full procedure above is used in the tropics when storing cars longer term, though usually placed in a garage not under a cover.
Old May 12th 2018, 10:58 pm
Forum Regular

ElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to beholdElizabethAnn is a splendid one to behold

Thanks to all for the guidance and advice.
Old May 13th 2018, 8:40 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola

I owned my last car for over ten years - and it lived in Spain without a cover - I would suggest that your car doesn't need anything to survive summers or winters here.

Davexf
Old May 13th 2018, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola

I owned my last car for over ten years - and it lived in Spain without a cover - I would suggest that your car doesn't need anything to survive summers or winters here.

Davexf
Ah but does yours sit unused for any length of time ? 3 months not moving is not good a car :-)
Old May 14th 2018, 4:46 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Capitans Wench
Ah but does yours sit unused for any length of time ? 3 months not moving is not good a car :-)
My mechanic friend told me that if I couldn't get a friend to give it a regular run (e.g let them take it for their regular shop), then replace the air in the tyres air with nitrogen. Some tyre centres have this. Its not good for the tyre, deformed by the weight to be compressed in one place where the oxygen can affect or react in this area. Nitrogen is far less reactive. Ideally also put the car on wheel stands so the tyres are all off the drive.

Take the battery out and get a plug in timer and trickle charge it a hour or more daily.

With the car on stands and no battery its far less 'nick-able' too !

Any of the above advice from uk-grenada can only make it better.

Jon

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a3894/4302788/

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 14th 2018 at 5:25 am.
Old May 14th 2018, 7:03 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hola
The OP was talking about the three summer months and specifically summer months and UV or damage from the sun. I would submit it is entirely different if you leave your car for longer - say six months plus - than a simple three month stint.

There are cars worth lots of pennies bought as investments that are kept for many a long year but the techniques used to stop deterioration are costly and to restore back to "usable" condition cost again.

If you regularly leave your car for periods of three months then yes there are simple tips to help keep its condition; but as a once off or even every summer is a lot different.

Davexf.
Old May 14th 2018, 7:52 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hola
The OP was talking about the three summer months and specifically summer months and UV or damage from the sun. I would submit it is entirely different if you leave your car for longer - say six months plus - than a simple three month stint.

There are cars worth lots of pennies bought as investments that are kept for many a long year but the techniques used to stop deterioration are costly and to restore back to "usable" condition cost again.

If you regularly leave your car for periods of three months then yes there are simple tips to help keep its condition; but as a once off or even every summer is a lot different.

Davexf.
Hi Dave - you are really helpful to people on the forum, and obviously know about cars. So lets respectfully agree to disagree.

I think with a car its best to be safe than sorry. How safe you are depends on your own risk profile of course. Tyres are, as you know, really important from a safety angle. And many cars, as you know, still slowly drain the battery for alarms, the computer etc.

I think 3 months is a lot with a car unmoving, with oxygen in the tyres and maybe even some pooling of water where 'the rubber meets the road' is not ideal. Putting Nitrogen in the tyres is not a crazy thing to do, as you saw from the link to popular mechanics that I put in my post. Axle stands are more of a hassle, but it doesn't take forever to jack up and do that - especially if its once a year for three whole months. I would do it. I am lucky I suppose because I think I could find someone to take it for a regular spin. My friend who told me about nitrogen (something I didn't know of before) is also a master mechanic - so I would always defer to him on car-stuff.

Any further things from that is up to each person. E.G I personally would not go as far as WD40-ing the engine for example. I think airing the car is important - but I'd personally have a problem leaving the windows cracked open -for 3 months.

I still think the info provided in the post from uk-granada is totally on topic and very interesting and I hope my contribution was too.

As an aside, we spend several months a year in CE. I haven't yet been able to financially justify buying a car. This is after over a decade. I'm not 'car mad' and have no problem driving a car without a fancy badge. We always rent and save all hassles of insurance, deprecation, servicing etc etc. We pick up and hand off the car at the airport.. and its done. Our last rental was 6Eur a day and in the summer we are renting for 10/day. Of course who knows what hidden damage there is to rented cars, or how safe, 'behind the scenes' but at least they get regular runs! Like me after a bad curry

However if I do buy, you are the master go-to guy for any information re immatriculation etc

Cheers, Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; May 14th 2018 at 7:57 am.
Old May 14th 2018, 8:00 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi Dave - you are really helpful to people on the forum, and obviously know about cars. So lets respectfully agree to disagree.

I think with a car its best to be safe than sorry. How safe you are depends on your own risk profile of course. Tyres are, as you know, really important from a safety angle. And many cars, as you know, still slowly drain the battery for alarms, the computer etc.

I think 3 months is a lot with a car unmoving, with oxygen in the tyres and maybe even some pooling of water where 'the rubber meets the road' is not ideal. Putting Nitrogen in the tyres is not a crazy thing to do, as you saw from the link to popular mechanics that I put in my post. Axle stands are more of a hassle, but it doesn't take forever to jack up and do that - especially if its once a year for three whole months. I would do it. I am lucky I suppose because I think I could find someone to take it for a regular spin. My friend who told me about nitrogen (something I didn't know of before) is also a master mechanic - so I would always defer to him on car-stuff.

Any further things from that is up to each person. E.G I personally would not go as far as WD40-ing the engine for example. I think airing the car is important - but I'd personally have a problem leaving the windows cracked open -for 3 months.

I still think the info provided in the post from uk-granada is totally on topic and very interesting and I hope my contribution was too.

As an aside, we spend several months a year in CE. I haven't yet been able to financially justify buying a car. This is after over a decade. I'm not 'car mad' and have no problem driving a car without a fancy badge. We always rent and save all hassles of insurance, deprecation, servicing etc etc. We pick up and hand off the car at the airport.. and its done. Our last rental was 6Eur a day and in the summer we are renting for 10/day. Of course who knows what hidden damage there is to rented cars, or how safe, 'behind the scenes' but at least they get regular runs! Like me after a bad curry

However if I do buy, you are the master go-to guy for any information re immatriculation etc

Cheers, Jon
I agree about the nitrogen - many tyre fitters in the UK offer nitrogen fills (including Kwikfit I believe) My car was delivered with nitrogen in the tyres. Specially useful when wheel sets are swapped over for winter as many are these days in Northern Europe.
Old May 14th 2018, 9:18 pm
Forum Regular

Fred R will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl

Cheers, Jon
Hi Jon,

An interesting and very useful post. Car rental for 10/day in summer is fantastic - would you please let me know who you rent from? Many thanks.

Regards

Fred
Old May 15th 2018, 8:51 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Fred R
Hi Jon,

An interesting and very useful post. Car rental for 10/day in summer is fantastic - would you please let me know who you rent from? Many thanks.

Regards

Fred
Thanks Fred

I compare zest and economy car rental. Remember to check for additional driver, Spain entry transponder charges etc

I got a good deal directly from
https://www.airauto.pt/ For this summer just under 10/day. I also have an annual insurance policy to cover the excess payments its just under £40 for unlimited rentals during the year from iCarhireinsurance.com so if I have an accident I pay the excess and then claim it back. Air auto is walkable from the airport as its the closest rental place, but there is also a shuttle bus from P4

Good luck!

Jon
Old May 15th 2018, 2:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

keithBT is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Re: Car Health while away

Jon, I think you were lucky or booked incredibly early. I just tried for my daughter in August with Air-auto and a ford KA is 23 euro daily without insurance. I got a Clio with Zest for 18 days in May for about £9 / 10 euros a day all in though. feeling pleased with that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.