Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

car headlights faded & ITV

car headlights faded & ITV

Old Jul 1st 2008, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

poolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to beholdpoolboy is a splendid one to behold
Default car headlights faded & ITV

hi all, I ITV ed my 6 year old car this morning & although it passed, it was noted that my headlamp covers were perished. It is the sun fading the outer lenses & they probably need replacement.

Anyway, don´t suppose anyone knows how bad they have to get before it fails. They are integral units so a bit expensive to do just for the sake of it, I certainly haven´t noticed any poor night vision & didn´t even know they had perished.

I could of course wait & see if I fail in 2 years time but there´s so many police around at night I don´t want to get stopped all the time & have that light sabre thingy pointed at me.

Cheers, enjoy the summer all Spanish readers
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:35 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car headlights faded & ITV

Originally Posted by poolboy
hi all, I ITV ed my 6 year old car this morning & although it passed, it was noted that my headlamp covers were perished. It is the sun fading the outer lenses & they probably need replacement.

Anyway, don´t suppose anyone knows how bad they have to get before it fails. They are integral units so a bit expensive to do just for the sake of it, I certainly haven´t noticed any poor night vision & didn´t even know they had perished.

I could of course wait & see if I fail in 2 years time but there´s so many police around at night I don´t want to get stopped all the time & have that light sabre thingy pointed at me.

Well thats a new one, I had a hole in one of mine filled with clear silicone to stop the water getting in and that was ok. ;-))
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:24 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

make and model off car please and left hand are right hand car thanks
Old Jul 1st 2008, 6:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

I have heard that fogging of acrylic lenses is caused mainly by use of the wrong type of headlight bulb. Low u.v bulbs should be used. Anyway it's a pretty common problem. They can be repolished back to practically new condition - I read instructions on how to do it in "Car Talk" in the Costa Blanca News - have you read the column? I think it's moved to the Euroweekly news. You could try e mailing him (Shane Tonks) His garage is in Villajoyosa.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 6:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

Ps. Try this website www.headlightfix.com for a video on how to repair them.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

our chrysler's headlights melted beyond repair. and thanks to rip off chrysler spain, i swore never to buy another of their vehicles. which was handy as i was about to buy a wrangler jeep. got a new set from engerland and saved over €800 on the set.
if the cars itv'd just keep an eye out on ebay for a set, or hunt down your local breakers yard.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:45 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by digdug
our chrysler's headlights melted beyond repair. and thanks to rip off chrysler spain, i swore never to buy another of their vehicles. which was handy as i was about to buy a wrangler jeep. got a new set from engerland and saved over €800 on the set.
if the cars itv'd just keep an eye out on ebay for a set, or hunt down your local breakers yard.
But beware they could be RHD and thus fail the ITV.
As a further note there are many breakers around so just keep looking around them to find the correct headlamps.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

digdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud ofdigdug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
But beware they could be RHD and thus fail the ITV.
As a further note there are many breakers around so just keep looking around them to find the correct headlamps.
they werent rhd - the geezer in coventry sourced me a set, 1 came from milton keynes and the other from germany, and it passed the itv the very next week......
Old Jul 5th 2008, 10:19 am
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by poolboy

I think it's safe to say come next ITV it will probably end up failing.

It's a relatively common problem even in the UK, I had to replace my very old ('95) BMW's lights for the same reason.

You may find that there are third party copies of the lights you can pick up cheap.

If you get desperate PM me the make/model/year/xenons or non xenons and I'll have a scout about to see if there are any cheap ones floating around Germany when I'm next there.