Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car: Buy or hire

Car: Buy or hire

Old Jan 24th 2011, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future
Default Car: Buy or hire

Hi All
I know this subject has been mentioned once or twice over the years but I would like an update. We want to do some research on buying a car, the cost of running it and the availability of long stays at Faro. I know John posted a couple of years ago that a space at the airport for a year costs about 600euros.If anybody can give me the benefit of their experience it would be appreciated.

Muchas G, Kim
Old Jan 25th 2011, 7:04 am
!hola!

tednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant futuretednsharon has a brilliant future
Default Re: Car: Buy or hire

Originally Posted by Woodzie
Hi All
I know this subject has been mentioned once or twice over the years but I would like an update. We want to do some research on buying a car, the cost of running it and the availability of long stays at Faro. I know John posted a couple of years ago that a space at the airport for a year costs about 600euros.If anybody can give me the benefit of their experience it would be appreciated.

Muchas G, Kim
Hey Kim - long time no speak to! We are doing just the same thing atm - cost of car hire is ridiculous this year. We are doing some "research" (excuse for long weekend away ) next week so will let you know if we find out anything worthwhile.
Sxx
Old Jan 25th 2011, 9:14 am
Forum Regular

Woodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant futureWoodzie has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by tednsharon
Hey Kim - long time no speak to! We are doing just the same thing atm - cost of car hire is ridiculous this year. We are doing some "research" (excuse for long weekend away ) next week so will let you know if we find out anything worthwhile.
Sxx
Thanks Sharon, look forward to hearing your conculsion. Enjoy your week-end. Best wishes to you both.
Kim. x
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

guesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond reputeguesswork has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Muchas G, Kim
http://www.parkandflyfaro.com/files/english.htm

This is possibly what Jonh posted
Old Jan 26th 2011, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by guesswork
http://www.parkandflyfaro.com/files/english.htm

This is possibly what Jonh posted
Thank you, and its still 600euros for the year.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:23 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All

Muchas G, Kim
There was a thread about this (I think on the Portugal BE forum) apparently the thing to do is park in the roads around the airport - having driven around the area there do seem to be a lot of cars that look as if they have been there for a bit - I guess if you immobilise the car and make sure there are no valuables you could be OK. (Not sure I'd chance it myself for a year but a couple of weeks I might)
Old Jan 28th 2011, 8:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Kim, and alternative to parking at the airport is to find a kind neighbour/friend and ask them to drive you/pick you up to the airport (in your car), drop you off and then return your car to your alloted space on Marina Esuri. Quite a few of us here have similar setups, regards Bryony.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Hi Kim, and alternative to parking at the airport is to find a kind neighbour/friend and ask them to drive you/pick you up to the airport (in your car), drop you off and then return your car to your alloted space on Marina Esuri. Quite a few of us here have similar setups, regards Bryony.
Yes, 600 euros p.a for parking adds a lot to the cost of the car.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

chrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant futurechrismortley has a brilliant future

Sounds like a nice little earner for someone with spare time on their hands

Last edited by chrismortley; Jan 28th 2011 at 10:34 am.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:08 pm
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, 600 euros p.a for parking adds a lot to the cost of the car.
Hi Kim

Surely it depends on how much time you spend a year there? ( I see a spreadsheet being born) There is a real benefit to just turning up at the airport and picking up the car and then dropping it off - and of course the cars are new(er) too.

That against the parking, pick up drop off, insurance + taxes, maintenance, depreciation etc.

We paid just under 10 Euros a day in low season to rent a good car with all included. So the season when you use the car should also be in that s/sheet.

We have found that flying/renting a car breaks even in about 3-4 weeks compared to driving down, petrol, hotel meals, tolls etc. We stay longer and still pay more than driving down as we save 4 horrible days of our lives in the car. 2 days down, 2 days back - its worth it for us to pay the extra for saving that time.

Also Ive been advised by an expert that if you leave your car for an extended period of time its best to put the car on stands so the the tyres arent taking the weight for a long time on one part. Also recommended is taking the air out of the tyre if you dont use stands, and replace it with Nitrogen which is more inert. Good tyre garages should have this.

Anyway see you soon! Cant wait!!

Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Jan 28th 2011 at 5:13 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Car: Buy or hire

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi Kim

Surely it depends on how much time you spend a year there? ( I see a spreadsheet being born) There is a real benefit to just turning up at the airport and picking up the car and then dropping it off - and of course the cars are new(er) too.

That against the parking, pick up drop off, insurance + taxes, maintenance, depreciation etc.

We paid just under 10 Euros a day in low season to rent a good car with all included. So the season when you use the car should also be in that s/sheet.

We have found that flying/renting a car breaks even in about 3-4 weeks compared to driving down, petrol, hotel meals, tolls etc. We stay longer and still pay more than driving down as we save 4 horrible days of our lives in the car. 2 days down, 2 days back - its worth it for us to pay the extra for saving that time.

Also Ive been advised by an expert that if you leave your car for an extended period of time its best to put the car on stands so the the tyres arent taking the weight for a long time on one part. Also recommended is taking the air out of the tyre if you dont use stands, and replace it with Nitrogen which is more inert. Good tyre garages should have this.

Anyway see you soon! Cant wait!!
Jon
The American & Brit military who used to store thousands of rubber wheeled vehicles in Holland and Germany had a routine of rolling them forward by 1 foot per week for one full circumfrance and then back again. Turned the engine over got the oil up and evened the tyre stress out. Nice steady job!
Old Jan 28th 2011, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Our neighbour also unplugs his battery as he found his car alarm drained it so he just has a lock on his steering wheel. B
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:35 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Our neighbour also unplugs his battery as he found his car alarm drained it so he just has a lock on his steering wheel. B
Hi

Obviously this doesnt apply to your neighbour, Bryony.

With modern cars - some need a trickle from the battery to the computer systems.

Normally a 'bad battery' still has enough juice to feed the small amount needed by the chips. Also they have a little back up time so that if you disconnect the battery and change it - you are OK. However this can run out after an hour or so.

If there is no battery connected for a long time, then the computer dies, and depending on your model, the car may not start and has to go to a garage where they download the fixes. This can take a couple of hours. So its a tow to the garage a wait and then you are OK. Time and money lost!

Its my recommendation that if you want to disconnect the battery for a while - find out first if you are setting yourself up for a BIG problem later. You may find that the newer cars from eg the Audi-Volkswagen group has this issue. If they do then Im sure others do as well.

So what happens if you are charging the battery...? In the 'old days' you disconnect the battery leads and put on the charger (eg overnight). This will of course mess up the computer as its not getting its trickle.... Ive been told that the charger can be put on with the original leads connected - without messing up the electronics, and thus maintining the all-importqant trickle to the computers.

Nowadays a mechanic needs to be an IT engineer as well!

Regards
Jon
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Just been informed by Mike who knows a lot more about cars than I do that said neighbour now has a solar powered trickle charger. Bryony
Old Jan 31st 2011, 9:33 am
Forum Regular

Lordy Lordy, this is all far to much to worry about, I think youre right Jon, hiring is stress free. One of the reasons for us thinking of buying is that we wish to travel further afield and the company we use, (which is about the same price 10euros in low season) do not want us to go any further than Seville or about 1.30hrs. We have plans to go much further, perhaps the answer is to use a national company like Hertz who have locations all over. It was a costing exercise really.
Kim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.