Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Car breakdown, tax and insurance

Car breakdown, tax and insurance

Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of
Default Re: Car breakdown, tax and insurance

Once you become non resident your UK insurer will refuse to cover you and withdraw your policy.

Don't even contemplate not telling them that you are leaving the UK or try to kid yourself that they are stupid. All claims originating from outside the UK are very closely scrutinised and when questions arise, as they will, the onus will be 100% on you to prove what you say, not for them to prove otherwise.

Strictly speaking you should inform your insurer any time you plan to take the insured vehicle out of the UK so if you do make that call the lies will start with that conversation.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 6:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Im_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud ofIm_and_Er has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Rostra
Sorry- personal experience here! I just had a silly bump with my UK car (handbrake not holding) with very small damage to third party immovable object, so had to initiate a claim. MOT was out of date because I'd been back to Spain and stayed longer than expected, during which time MOT expired.

The accident was entirely my own fault - I had not applied the handbrake properly and had knocked the car out of gear while retrieving my handbag from the passenger footwell.

Insurance documents (Barlays) state that insurance not valid if no valid MOT. I expected to have to pay for all damage myself.

Before reporting claim I made appointment for MOT. Assessor arrived before MOT could be carried out and said that in principle I was not insured.

However, a) since the car was clearly in good condition;
b) although the car would clearly fail the MOT because of bodywork damage, the reason for failure had nothing to do with the cause of the accident;
c) There was a good reason which I coud demonstrate with airline tickets for allowing the MOT to expire;
d) and he was a nice guy
he would allow the claim to go through.

He confirmed that an expired MOT will always invalidate your insurance, although some companies allow their assessors some discretion, provided the accident has nothing to do with anything which might cause the vehicle to fail its MOT.

Not worth taking a chance, in my book.
Further to my earlier post this tale serves to illustrate the important difference between the bald and incorrect statement that no MOT = invalid insurance (with all it's legal ramifications from a police point of view) and the fact which is that it may be deemed invalid by the insurance company but only in terms of paying anything other than 3rd party claims which they are bound to do both for the duration of the policy and regardless of where in the EU the vehicle was located when the accident occurred.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 11:19 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Further to my earlier post this tale serves to illustrate the important difference between the bald and incorrect statement that no MOT = invalid insurance (with all it's legal ramifications from a police point of view) and the fact which is that it may be deemed invalid by the insurance company but only in terms of paying anything other than 3rd party claims which they are bound to do both for the duration of the policy and regardless of where in the EU the vehicle was located when the accident occurred.
I thought all policies reverted to 3rd party when out of the country of registration ?
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
I thought all policies reverted to 3rd party when out of the country of registration ?
No.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:48 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
My Spanish LD policy covers me fully comp anywhere in the EU for any period.

My old UK policy was also full cover for up to 6 months at a time.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:57 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
No.
explain
Old Aug 31st 2011, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

emjharts is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Fred James, what UK policy was this with as we are about to have to get new insurance so are looking for the one that will cover us the longest in the EU.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 1:52 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Im_and_Er
Ignoring the fact though that to drive a car in Spain legally on UK plates it needs to be legal in the country of registration. therefore a UK plated car in Spain with no MOT = a car in Spain that is not legal according to the ruling. Thats not to say that 3rd party doesnt click in, but even so, its not a legal car.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 2:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Car breakdown, tax and insurance

Originally Posted by emjharts
Hi Fred James, what UK policy was this with as we are about to have to get new insurance so are looking for the one that will cover us the longest in the EU.
M&S 90 days Saga 12 months.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 2:59 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emjharts
It's so long ago I can't remember.

They will all vary so you just need to ask each one what their policy is.