Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

cancelling car registration???? help needed

Wikiposts

cancelling car registration???? help needed

Old Aug 31st 2009, 6:06 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cancelling car registration???? help needed

Originally Posted by HBG
They can't. The debt is on your car, and they can go after that, but if it's scrapped, they're ****ed.
How do they know it`s been scrapped if they do not have the required paperwork to prove it ?
Believe me, they still keep adding it on and a bank account is accessable to any debt collector.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
If it was an english car on english plates WITHOUT tax and MOT, then the insurance was worthless.If it was MOT'd and taxed, then because it was here illegally, I still think the insurance was worthless.

How can an illegal car have insurance - you sure can't do that it England and I'm sure Spain is the same

RE. your original question - have you tried at the town hall. Friends of mine did it there recently when they scrapped their car.

Wrong , you are living under Spanish law not English ,so many forget this, your insurance can be valid in spain without uk mot or road tax -fact.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:47 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rotor
Wrong , you are living under Spanish law not English ,so many forget this, your insurance can be valid in spain without uk mot or road tax -fact.
OK, I stand corrected. The car however, is still illegal and should have been matriculated.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

paulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nice

thank you all for the lively discussion on different subjects

i know it was illegal and should have been matriculated!!!!

thats where i started from!

my question was on how to get it removed from the Spanish system whilst living here in Central Portugal.

thanks
Old Aug 31st 2009, 11:53 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

moved to Portugal with a Spanish Car
I am a bit confused
i know it was illegal and should have been matriculated!!!!
If it is spanish registered, why?
Car people in Velez Malaga and they have sent us the Tax Due
If it is British registered, why pay SUMA?

Last edited by missile; Aug 31st 2009 at 11:55 pm.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:14 am
Forum Regular

paulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nice

not sure at all where you saw the words British registered

it was registered in MALAGA

thanks
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:24 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulnsoo
not sure at all where you saw the words British registered
A.n.other posters have been discussing legality of British registered cars. See post #9
it was registered in MALAGA
Why does it need matriculated? Did you mean matriculated in Portugal?

Last edited by missile; Sep 1st 2009 at 12:27 am.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:35 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
A.n.other posters have been discussing legality of British registered cars. See post #9

Why does it need matriculated? Did you mean matriculated in Portugal?
The problem is it is Spanish plated, no tax paid for a few years and has now been scrapped in PT.
So he has no paperwork to get it off the Spanish system and the bills will add up till they swoop in for the dosh.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:39 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by jdr
The problem is it is Spanish plated, no tax paid for a few years and has now been scrapped in PT.
So he has no paperwork to get it off the Spanish system and the bills will add up till they swoop in for the dosh.
I know that, please let OP answer my question
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:43 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by missile
I know that, please let OP answer my question
Your question was irrelevant to his problem.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 12:48 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Here’s my personal experience, relatively recent.

I bought a Spanish car, privately, and had it registered in my name. A year later, I sold the car, privately, and foolishly deducted the re-registration cost so that the honest buyer could deal with the re-registration procedure himself (he wanted to).

I bought another Spanish car, privately, and had it registered in my name.

For the next two years or so, I paid the Suma bill when it arrived, until I realised that I was still paying for the old car as well (it was the same make as the new one and I didn’t bother to check the registration number).

I then found that my honest buyer was in fact a car dealer, who hadn’t registered the car and sold it on to someone who had expected him to be honest, which he wasn’t. The car was then scrapped, after an accident.

Luckily I still had some copy documents and went to Trafico at Alicante. It was surprisingly easy for them to give me documents to take to the local Suma to stop them sending me tax bills, but refunds were just laughed at, and I had paid two years tax for a vehicle I had sold. Another lesson in life.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

HI Guys again

Missile, Yes after we had been here 183 days or so you are supposed to matriculate any car you brought into the country with you (from Wherever)

which we neglected to do imm ediately and it got forgotten and nobody stopped us. eventually we started feeling guilty and a little scared by the Police stopping foreign Cars.

so we finally bought a Portuguese car and left the Spanish one for a couple of months on the drive while i advertised it on EBAY and couple other places.

problem is it became Complicated, as we had no ITV , the tax was not a problem as i called VELEZ MALAGA and they sent me a form to pay the back tax at SANTANDER Totta, which we have until the 21/09 to do.

so the Tax will be paid because the car is registered at our old Landlord in MALAGA province and we don,t want them having any issues.

Getting the ITV was complicated because it meant driving 150k to Salamanca and finding an inspection centre and stopping to find out what if anything was wrong and having it fixed inside the time allowed. and returning it to there for and up to date ITV and then trying to sell it in Spain(from Portugal) for its real worth (about 12-1500 Euros)

as you see its very complicated, so i flogged it to a Portuguese breakers yard for 500 euros, thinking that would be the end.

but when i called VELEZ MALAGA AGAIN they said we would have to remove it Via the TRAFICO and thats where my question came in..

the matriculation costs to a PT plate we were told was punitive which is why we were getting rid of it

thanks
Old Sep 1st 2009, 1:39 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by paulnsoo
HI Guys again

Missile, Yes after we had been here 183 days or so you are supposed to matriculate any car you brought into the country with you (from Wherever)

which we neglected to do imm ediately and it got forgotten and nobody stopped us. eventually we started feeling guilty and a little scared by the Police stopping foreign Cars.

so we finally bought a Portuguese car and left the Spanish one for a couple of months on the drive while i advertised it on EBAY and couple other places.

problem is it became Complicated, as we had no ITV , the tax was not a problem as i called VELEZ MALAGA and they sent me a form to pay the back tax at SANTANDER Totta, which we have until the 21/09 to do.

so the Tax will be paid because the car is registered at our old Landlord in MALAGA province and we don,t want them having any issues.

Getting the ITV was complicated because it meant driving 150k to Salamanca and finding an inspection centre and stopping to find out what if anything was wrong and having it fixed inside the time allowed. and returning it to there for and up to date ITV and then trying to sell it in Spain(from Portugal) for its real worth (about 12-1500 Euros)

as you see its very complicated, so i flogged it to a Portuguese breakers yard for 500 euros, thinking that would be the end.

but when i called VELEZ MALAGA AGAIN they said we would have to remove it Via the TRAFICO and thats where my question came in..

the matriculation costs to a PT plate we were told was punitive which is why we were getting rid of it

thanks
Many thanks for the info, I now fully understand your situation and I feel my suggestion that you contact a spanish solicitor may be the best way forward for you. Good luck

Last edited by missile; Sep 1st 2009 at 1:43 am.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 1:44 am
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by jdr
Your question was irrelevant to his problem.
You are entitled to your opinion
Old Sep 1st 2009, 1:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr

If the car is put on bajo then at least taxes owed should not increase?

Better use a gestor than a solicitor for a matter like this ,solictors will be many many times more expensive for a simple job.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.