Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

cancelling car registration???? help needed

cancelling car registration???? help needed

Old Aug 31st 2009, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

paulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nice
Default cancelling car registration???? help needed

Hello Everyone
we need a little help/advice and are a bit lost!!

we lived in Spain until April 2007 and moved to Portugal with a Spanish Car
driving it here illegally for a year or 2 .

finally we have decided to Buy Portuguese and we have sold our Spanish car
for Pieces to a breakers yard, we have been in touch with the Car people in Velez Malaga and they have sent us the Tax Due amount which we can pay here into Santander (we think)

but we cannot find out exactly what we should do to "de-register" the car In Spain so that we are not due for Tax in 2010 onwards...

we have been on the www.dgt.es website and in my Bad Spanish have understood only that we should take it along for de-registering ????

this is clearly not possible now and we would welcome any help/advice from anybody who knows what we should do to clear it from the SPANISH SYSTEM.

any help would be appreciated!! Please

I speak some spanish and i rand the Trafico dept but its just an information number. and told me to look at the website

thanks

PAUL,n, Sue
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:20 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cancelling car registration???? help needed

If it were me, I would contact a spanish solicitor and get them to do it.

I am not too impressed that you drove it illegally for a year or two and I hope you had valid insurance? Dread to think what might have happened had you caused injury or death to some innocent 3rd party.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:46 pm
Forum Regular

paulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nicepaulnsoo is just really nice

hi there

thanks for the advice!

we did have Insurance and have only cancelled it yesterday with Abbeygate.

i am not impressed either, a little ignorance to start with followed by Laziness really, we paid 3500 euros for the car and it would have been 3500 to Matriculate.

in the end we got 475 euros 190 of which has to go t Paying Back tax to SPAIN

paying a solicitor is not on
already in significant loss country..

thanks for replying though

PAUl
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:49 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

It should of been scrapped in Spain along with the receipt for the car tax, log book, your nie number and the required paperwork, I doubt if you can now remove it from the system.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:53 pm
Forum Regular

DOH!
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:55 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously you could DIY. I guess the first stop would be to visit traffico and you may have to go to the office where the car was registered?

IMHO, it might not cost so much to get a solicitor and worth getting a quote?

I could not be arsed with the hassle of changing my UK for spanish license. My solicitor did it all for 45€. Money well spent I thought
Old Aug 31st 2009, 12:58 pm
Started off with nothing

Originally Posted by paulnsoo
it would have been 3500 to Matriculate.
I doubt that
Old Aug 31st 2009, 1:27 pm
Forum Regular

actually we checked (rather late BTW) and they hinted it could be as much as.

but i will check out the Solicitor route as 45e looks like it might be very cheap in the long run

we now live a 8 hour Drive from MALAGA so going to the Trafico is not an option

thanks
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:04 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by missile
If it were me, I would contact a spanish solicitor and get them to do it.

I am not too impressed that you drove it illegally for a year or two and I hope you had valid insurance? Dread to think what might have happened had you caused injury or death to some innocent 3rd party.
If it was an english car on english plates WITHOUT tax and MOT, then the insurance was worthless.

If it was MOT'd and taxed, then because it was here illegally, I still think the insurance was worthless.

How can an illegal car have insurance - you sure can't do that it England and I'm sure Spain is the same

RE. your original question - have you tried at the town hall. Friends of mine did it there recently when they scrapped their car.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 2:55 pm
Forum Regular

hi there

It was insured, as it was registered at our old address in SPAIN
and the TAX was only Overdue (paid today)

It DId not have the MOT but that does not make the Insurance Invalid according to ABBEYGATE, anyway luckilly we had no issues.

i will also ask at the town hall to see if they can help

cheers
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

it will pay you do use a solicitor

we did this for our Spanish car in Feb this year

You have to go to traffico with the original paperwork for the car, fill in some forms to de-register it and thats it

Originally Posted by paulnsoo
Hello Everyone
we need a little help/advice and are a bit lost!!

we lived in Spain until April 2007 and moved to Portugal with a Spanish Car
driving it here illegally for a year or 2 .

finally we have decided to Buy Portuguese and we have sold our Spanish car
for Pieces to a breakers yard, we have been in touch with the Car people in Velez Malaga and they have sent us the Tax Due amount which we can pay here into Santander (we think)

but we cannot find out exactly what we should do to "de-register" the car In Spain so that we are not due for Tax in 2010 onwards...

we have been on the www.dgt.es website and in my Bad Spanish have understood only that we should take it along for de-registering ????

this is clearly not possible now and we would welcome any help/advice from anybody who knows what we should do to clear it from the SPANISH SYSTEM.

any help would be appreciated!! Please

I speak some spanish and i rand the Trafico dept but its just an information number. and told me to look at the website

thanks

PAUL,n, Sue
Old Aug 31st 2009, 5:45 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

In Spain, the procedure means a visit to Trafico for some minor form filling, and then taking the forms to your local Suma office, where your tax bill is cancelled.

If you don't do that, Suma will send a yearly bill to the registered Spanish address.

Depending on your status at that address, you may not have a problem at all.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 7:09 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
In Spain, the procedure means a visit to Trafico for some minor form filling, and then taking the forms to your local Suma office, where your tax bill is cancelled.

If you don't do that, Suma will send a yearly bill to the registered Spanish address.

Depending on your status at that address, you may not have a problem at all.
Unless they run short of money and just take it out your bank account.
Old Aug 31st 2009, 9:02 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Unless they run short of money and just take it out your bank account.
They can't. The debt is on your car, and they can go after that, but if it's scrapped, they're ****ed.
Old Sep 1st 2009, 6:01 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
They can't. The debt is on your car, and they can go after that, but if it's scrapped, they're ****ed.
Believe me, they can and do !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.