Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cancelled Flights / Insurance & Refunds: Snowy UK

Cancelled Flights / Insurance & Refunds: Snowy UK

Old Feb 6th 2009, 8:24 am
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of
Default Cancelled Flights / Insurance & Refunds: Snowy UK

...taken form another thread (but poss worth discussing in it's own right?)

I'm 'stuck' in UK right now. Yesterday my Ryanair flight from Doncaster to Alicante was cancelled 30mins before departure due to heavy snow. First time that has happened to me, ever.

Anyway of course then you have to fend for yourself. Snow was bucketing down outside, worried travellers, confusion, etc... Now Ryanair were no where to be seen but the Servisair desk was open. A plane or two full of people then had to queue to get info / options. On the whole the ladies there were very good from what I could see BUT 1 computer / 3 staff really slowed things down.

2+ hours it took to sort 1 plane of people out - other flights were being cancelled too, so this desk would have had a hard time.

3 KEY POINTS:

a) If your flight is cancelled RUN RUN RUN to the help desk as being at the back of the queue means any options/re-arranged flights are minimised by virtue the front liners get first choice.

b) Check your travel insurance. As I did discover that as usual the insurance company have a clause or two that says cancelled flights aren't covered (at least not on my annual policy). They told me yesterday that the Airline should compensate me. Well Ryanair say they will refund the flight cost but that is all !! (and I bet I don't get my booking fee back). Of course I now have extra expenses for travel, food and accommodation so I THINK I SHOULD be covered as I am TRAVELLING and I THOUGHT 'TRAVEL INSURANCE' did what it says on the tin !!! (how we hate insurance).

c) Re-Booking: I opted for a refund and got on the airport 'cyber-cafe' (2 slow PCs) to re-book a new flight with Ryanair (Doncaster has little choice of airlines). I got one for Tuesday BUT again had to pay a CC/booking fee. I DISCOVERED later that I could have rebooked "FREE" according to the Ryanair site last night. BUT that info WAS NOT on their site yesterday (probably too soon after the snow) because I looked - but had limited time - and 9/10 other's breathing down my neck to use the Internet PC.

So an horrible 7/8 hours yesterday really. But at least Doncaster is small and I can imagine the BIG airports would be a far lot worse and stressful.

Snow eh !!!!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:25 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cancelled Flights / Insurance & Refunds: Snowy UK

Originally Posted by GrapeEater
...taken form another thread (but poss worth discussing in it's own right?)

I'm 'stuck' in UK right now. Yesterday my Ryanair flight from Doncaster to Alicante was cancelled 30mins before departure due to heavy snow. First time that has happened to me, ever.

Anyway of course then you have to fend for yourself. Snow was bucketing down outside, worried travellers, confusion, etc... Now Ryanair were no where to be seen but the Servisair desk was open. A plane or two full of people then had to queue to get info / options. On the whole the ladies there were very good from what I could see BUT 1 computer / 3 staff really slowed things down.

2+ hours it took to sort 1 plane of people out - other flights were being cancelled too, so this desk would have had a hard time.

3 KEY POINTS:

a) If your flight is cancelled RUN RUN RUN to the help desk as being at the back of the queue means any options/re-arranged flights are minimised by virtue the front liners get first choice.

b) Check your travel insurance. As I did discover that as usual the insurance company have a clause or two that says cancelled flights aren't covered (at least not on my annual policy). They told me yesterday that the Airline should compensate me. Well Ryanair say they will refund the flight cost but that is all !! (and I bet I don't get my booking fee back). Of course I now have extra expenses for travel, food and accommodation so I THINK I SHOULD be covered as I am TRAVELLING and I THOUGHT 'TRAVEL INSURANCE' did what it says on the tin !!! (how we hate insurance).

c) Re-Booking: I opted for a refund and got on the airport 'cyber-cafe' (2 slow PCs) to re-book a new flight with Ryanair (Doncaster has little choice of airlines). I got one for Tuesday BUT again had to pay a CC/booking fee. I DISCOVERED later that I could have rebooked "FREE" according to the Ryanair site last night. BUT that info WAS NOT on their site yesterday (probably too soon after the snow) because I looked - but had limited time - and 9/10 other's breathing down my neck to use the Internet PC.

So an horrible 7/8 hours yesterday really. But at least Doncaster is small and I can imagine the BIG airports would be a far lot worse and stressful.

Snow eh !!!!
The irony is, they land their planes and run their trains and drive their cars in all the snowy countries without any problems.
Old Feb 6th 2009, 9:42 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The problem is that England does not usually get much snow. Therefore they do not have the resources for heavy snow. If every winter we had heavy snow, then we would have the tools to deal with it.

In Toronto (where I was in January) it is not unusual to have 8 inches overnight, BUT it is predictable every time for days in advance, and therefore they have all the equipment they normally need. Virtually every house has a snow blower which looks like a rotovator.

Davexf
Old Feb 6th 2009, 4:34 pm
Forum Regular

lmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud oflmj50 has much to be proud of

it is not unusual to have 8 inches overnight

Happens all the time!
Old Feb 6th 2009, 4:47 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmj50

Happens all the time!
I wouldn`t cut four off mine for anyone. ;-))
Old Feb 6th 2009, 5:14 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Here in northern Italy we get lots of snow but it's the fog that usually closes the airports . Having used ryanair from the start for convenience, we have a tactic.. if the flight's on the board as going but they don't charge excess baggage start queueing to rebook and phone whoever is waiting to pick us up because either the flight's not going or it's going to land in a different place. If there's fog, one queues at the check- in and one to re-book and even if they do book us in we go back and queue to re-book.
Beware Ryanair has tightened it's hand baggage rules. Strictly one bag, your p.c. is now 'overlooked'
Old Feb 7th 2009, 6:59 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lmj50

Happens all the time!
Originally Posted by jdr
I wouldn`t cut four off mine for anyone. ;-))
I've been told 10 inches is the norm in the north of England
Old Feb 7th 2009, 8:47 pm
Grapes are good 4 U !

GrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud ofGrapeEater has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Lionda
I've been told 10 inches is the norm in the north of England
I once saw 12 inches, but not as a rule !!!

OOoohhhaaaa Missus - "It's Carry On The ExPats"
Old Feb 8th 2009, 5:56 pm
Concierge

37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute37100 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ROSALINDANN
Here in northern Italy we get lots of snow but it's the fog that usually closes the airports . Having used ryanair from the start for convenience, we have a tactic.. if the flight's on the board as going but they don't charge excess baggage start queueing to rebook and phone whoever is waiting to pick us up because either the flight's not going or it's going to land in a different place. If there's fog, one queues at the check- in and one to re-book and even if they do book us in we go back and queue to re-book.
Beware Ryanair has tightened it's hand baggage rules. Strictly one bag, your p.c. is now 'overlooked'
Sorry, should have wrote, 'is now NOT overlooked'! You can no longer take a bag and a p.c. bag on.