Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Canada Dl Trigo

Canada Dl Trigo

Old May 7th 2008, 2:19 pm
Just Joined

susanksera is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Canada Dl Trigo

I am about to move to Canada Del Trigo near Pinoso.I already live in Spain in Aspe.
Does anyone know anything about this area...or do you live there etc?
Thanks
Susan
Old May 7th 2008, 6:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond reputeBri and Katee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canada Dl Trigo

We live quite close another village called canada de la lena. Cananda del Trigo is very small, not much there at all from what we have seen, haven't sited any shops at all, so you would need to nip down the road 10 minutes to Pinoso. There is an english bar just outside the village called the Ponderosa.

Our electricity supplier is there but we have yet to find the office even though we have the address! If you like slow village life yu should do okay.
Old May 8th 2008, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to allSolarwhizz is a name known to all
Default Re: Canada Dl Trigo

Originally Posted by Bri and Katee
We live quite close another village called canada de la lena. Cananda del Trigo is very small, not much there at all from what we have seen, haven't sited any shops at all, so you would need to nip down the road 10 minutes to Pinoso. There is an english bar just outside the village called the Ponderosa.

Our electricity supplier is there but we have yet to find the office even though we have the address! If you like slow village life yu should do okay.
I Live about 6 Kms away,
Canada del Trigo has a high percentage of British expat population with virtually every new villa you can see for around 10KMS from its centre owned by Expats,
It is a very lively village and although it has virtually no facilites except the church and the bar, has many mini fiestas, and one major fiesta, the locals are extremely "tolerant" ( I used to use the word friendly, but with so many expats I dont think it is relvant any longer), they are mostly of the retired aged group with families and young adult crowd arriving at weekends to stay in the campo house with the family,
A new Mayor has just been elected who is considered to be a "non friendly", but has so far had little impact, the previous Mayor was a very colourfull character who spent a lot of his time chasing and flattering the English ladies!!

The village bar is run by a Portuguese/Spanish lady with an english partner, and is very lively with active darts teams, and most weeks have some event going on!! Other nearby bars are the Pondorosa which has "Tetley Bitter", with lively quiz nites on Sunday (Gen Knowledge) and Every other Wed (Music). Then there is La Montenuela, farmhouse hotel and bar which does a pretty good steak, and loads of traditional spanish food. Then in Torre del Rico, there is a very small bar and restaurante which provides good Spanish food
As always there are plenty of characters about, ranging from the Crazy old ingles (74) who threatened the Spanish farmer who tried to fence off his land with an airpistol and held the guardia at bay for a day, before he was arrested, which all ended very amicably ( I suspect the story has been embroidered a bit for local consumption), Particularly when they found out the Old ingles was in the right and thE farmer was trying it on. Which they seem to do a lot around here as I and others have had similar problems with creeping land stealing!!.
There are also many Spanish characters who have been involved similar incidents over the years,

Canada de Trigo is on the Borders of Alicante(Pinoso). Abanilla (Murcia) and Jumilla(Murcia). which for example means that all the bars I spoke about are all in differenct districts. There is good road access to Murcia (45mins) Alicante (45 mins), Fortuna (20 mIns) Pinoso (15mins) Jumilla (20 Mins). Elda & Petrer (20Mins). Elche (30Mins). Most expats use either Jumilla or Petrer for day to day shopping,
The place is an interesting mix really, with in my view generally good integration of the Spanish and Expats. There is a lot new building going on, both in the village and surrounding areas. Land and house prices are sky high compared to when I moved here about 7 years ago.

Summary, very much a sleepy looking pedania which underneath is thriving, growing and very much alive.

Last edited by Solarwhizz; May 8th 2008 at 2:00 am.