Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can you help point me in the right direction

Can you help point me in the right direction

Old Apr 9th 2008, 2:49 pm
Just Joined

Cheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud of
Default Can you help point me in the right direction

Hi all my name is Jo and I am a 32 year old single mum to my 9 year old son Josh, my parents have recently moved to the Torrevieja area of Spain and my son and me are out here visiting for 2 weeks, we head back home next Saturday 19th BOO!!!

Anyways I love it so much here, not to mention that I miss my parents loads that I would love to get myself and Josh out of the UK and relocate here but I would like to know where is the best place to look for work in the area?

I have been an Admin Assistant in the UK for well over 10 years now so I have bags of experience in running a busy office as well as performing all the day to day office based tasks, I am IT literate, competant and a very hardworker however I would be happy to turn my hand to any work on offer as long as its legal and provides a good wage that would enable me to rent a property for me and my son and that gives us a reasonable standard of living.

Firstly though I would need to ask if there is much work on offer in Torrevieja especially for a Brit who cant speak a lick of Spanish, but may I add Im not an ignorant brit and I would be more then happy to learn Spanish.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Jo
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:03 pm
Forum Regular

cajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud ofcajam31 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Can you help point me in the right direction

Hi Jo.
I dont know that area of spain, but wanted to say that in general its really hard to get work that is paid well enough to give you a good standard of living if you dont speak spanish, especially if you are the only one earning in the family. But saying that, in my experience its a much better quality of life here for a family than in the UK, so good luck to you in whatever you decide, hope it all works out good for you.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 3:23 pm
Family man

CBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud ofCBANDY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Cheex32
Hi all my name is Jo and I am a 32 year old single mum to my 9 year old son Josh, my parents have recently moved to the Torrevieja area of Spain and my son and me are out here visiting for 2 weeks, we head back home next Saturday 19th BOO!!!

Anyways I love it so much here, not to mention that I miss my parents loads that I would love to get myself and Josh out of the UK and relocate here but I would like to know where is the best place to look for work in the area?

I have been an Admin Assistant in the UK for well over 10 years now so I have bags of experience in running a busy office as well as performing all the day to day office based tasks, I am IT literate, competant and a very hardworker however I would be happy to turn my hand to any work on offer as long as its legal and provides a good wage that would enable me to rent a property for me and my son and that gives us a reasonable standard of living.

Firstly though I would need to ask if there is much work on offer in Torrevieja especially for a Brit who cant speak a lick of Spanish, but may I add Im not an ignorant brit and I would be more then happy to learn Spanish.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Regards

Jo
Hi Jo,

I have lived in the area for 10 years and unfortunatly a lot of the admin work has dried up due to estate agents going very quiet if not closing down. I now work in the Murcia region. On a happier note i saw a sign in the office i used to work looking for staff just the other day but i think it was for telesales. GOOD wages are hard to come by but reasonable wages i think you will find.

Best of luck

Andy

PM me if you want any more info.
Old Apr 9th 2008, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Cheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud ofCheex32 has much to be proud of

Hello Andy thank you for the advice sadly I couldnt send you a PM as I am a newbie and can only send PMs when Ive made 3 posts or more so I do hope you read this.

Whatever further information you have regarding the job scene in Torrevieja I would fully appreciate.

Feel free to send me a PM Andy if you wish.

Look forward to hearing from you.

Regards

Jo
Old Apr 12th 2008, 8:39 pm
Just Joined

I should also mention I would be up for working in a bar and could anyone tell me if many jobs which include accomodation come available within the area of Torrevieja?

All advice welcomed

Thanks

Jo
x
Old Apr 12th 2008, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

How about the old route of Emglish teaching (self employed).
Now I've said that every one will tell you the wages are rubbish,and they'll be right if you work for a school or agcy. However if you work for yourself you'll make better money,have a friend who gets Eur20 per hr,and is (thanx to my sage business advice ),doing very well

Maybe mix the two bar work and teaching,can give you details of a TEFL course (2days) in England if you like
Not sure getting accpmadation from an employer is a good idea,if the job goes belly up, then you lose your home as well
How about staying with mater and pater
Old Apr 13th 2008, 10:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lcortez
How about the old route of Emglish teaching (self employed).
Now I've said that every one will tell you the wages are rubbish,and they'll be right if you work for a school or agcy. However if you work for yourself you'll make better money,have a friend who gets Eur20 per hr,and is (thanx to my sage business advice ),doing very well

Maybe mix the two bar work and teaching,can give you details of a TEFL course (2days) in England if you like
Not sure getting accpmadation from an employer is a good idea,if the job goes belly up, then you lose your home as well
How about staying with mater and pater
I agree with the points you have raised lcortez in regards to employment that includes accomodation it would be a dangerous pitful and a risk I wouldnt want to take where my son is concerned, as for living with my folks I really wouldnt want to impose myself on them as this is their retirement and I would feel out of order upping sticks from the UK and asking them to take in me and my son that just wouldnt be very fair, besides I am way too independant plus Im 32 years of age, living with my folks again after all this time would be like a major step backwards.

I may however look into doing a TEFL course as it may open up a few doors and I would welcome a new beginning even if it doesnt mean moving to the exact area my folks are in.

Anyway please except my sincere thanks on your advice.

Jo
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

I agree with the points you have raised lcortez in regards to employment that includes accomodation it would be a dangerous pitful and a risk I wouldnt want to take where my son is concerned, as for living with my folks I really wouldnt want to impose myself on them as this is their retirement and I would feel out of order upping sticks from the UK and asking them to take in me and my son that just wouldnt be very fair, besides I am way too independant plus Im 32 years of age, living with my folks again after all this time would be like a major step backwards.

I may however look into doing a TEFL course as it may open up a few doors and I would welcome a new beginning even if it doesnt mean moving to the exact area my folks are in.

Anyway please except my sincere thanks on your advice.

Jo
Thats all right
Can pm you details of the TEFL course if you like,it's done over the course of a weekend, and only costs £250,mate made that back in her first mth,and she's pretty lazy!
Old Apr 13th 2008, 1:48 pm
Just Joined

Thats all right
Can pm you details of the TEFL course if you like,it's done over the course of a weekend, and only costs £250,mate made that back in her first mth,and she's pretty lazy!
Ooo yes please if you wouldnt mind I would really be grateful for the info on the TEFL course.

Thanks once again, your a star

Jo
xx
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ooo yes please if you wouldnt mind I would really be grateful for the info on the TEFL course.

Thanks once again, your a star

Jo
xx
No prollema,senorita,happy to help,will have to dig them out,as there in my notourious filing system, but will get them to you by the e/o day
Old Apr 13th 2008, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Details on there way
Old Apr 13th 2008, 4:39 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Teaching English is something just about everyone has tried from what I have read and heard, I cant see how it can pay.....................Keith Walters OH did exactly that and ended up having to become a full time teacher from memory.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 5:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Of course, but its like everything else,some win some lose
Old Apr 13th 2008, 5:56 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Of course, but its like everything else,some win some lose
Do you have first hand experience of teaching English in Spain?

I don't think its that well paid at all...............I will go and look for the threads.
Old Apr 13th 2008, 6:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Personally , no,however my mate clears after tax etc Eur1300 (self employed).
Before that her wages were less than half that owing to cancallations and being sent to silly places by an agency!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.