Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can you help with a few queries about moving to Spain, Please?!

Can you help with a few queries about moving to Spain, Please?!

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

emjharts is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you help with a few queries about moving to Spain, Please?!

Hi there! We have been on holiday to Spain several times but now we are moving there as my Husband has secured a good job just outside of Malaga.

I therefore have a few queries that I hope someone can help me with in preparation of our move.
Firstly, we intend on driving there (from UK) so can you tell me what the deal with British cars are in Spain please? Do we have to pay an import tax? How long do we have to change plates etc?
Secondly, my Husbands company will provide us with health and dental cover after he has been there for 6 months so until then what are we entitled to? We will probably not need a dentist as we shall be sure to go here before we go but what if we need to see a Doctor? Also, I take an ongoing medication so what will happen with getting that?
Lastly, I am trying to look at places for long term rental in the Malaga area but there are so many websites and I don't know where to start first, can anyone recommend good websites for long term rentals?

I would be very grateful if someone living in Spain who has been through a similar process as ourselves can help me with these queries.

Thanks!!!
Old Sep 25th 2010, 7:42 am
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you help with a few queries about moving to Spain, Please?!

Originally Posted by emjharts
Hi there! We have been on holiday to Spain several times but now we are moving there as my Husband has secured a good job just outside of Malaga.

I therefore have a few queries that I hope someone can help me with in preparation of our move.
Firstly, we intend on driving there (from UK) so can you tell me what the deal with British cars are in Spain please? Do we have to pay an import tax? How long do we have to change plates etc?
Secondly, my Husbands company will provide us with health and dental cover after he has been there for 6 months so until then what are we entitled to? We will probably not need a dentist as we shall be sure to go here before we go but what if we need to see a Doctor? Also, I take an ongoing medication so what will happen with getting that?
Lastly, I am trying to look at places for long term rental in the Malaga area but there are so many websites and I don't know where to start first, can anyone recommend good websites for long term rentals?

I would be very grateful if someone living in Spain who has been through a similar process as ourselves can help me with these queries.

Thanks!!!
Hi ..... Car. Bring it. Make sure you have European Breakdown cover and don't worry for the first few months. Then decide whether you want to buy a Spanish one or pay the duty. It's a complicated process but there are English companies who will do the legwork for you. Unless you're really good at the language I 'd suggest you use one. It's only worth bringing a second hand car that wouldn't sell for much but has loads of life in it. If buying here, buy new. Second hand are ridiculously expensive and there are lots of 'scams'. Having said all that, we successfully negotiated the whole thing but it probably cost us a thousand including the Ficha reducida (a total waste of time piece of paper) the MOT the new headlights & the taxes, and our car is an 8 year old Fiesta!
Go into your Pharmacy and see idf they sell your medication over the counter. For example a pack of Metformin (Diabetic Medicine) costs less than 3 euros A ventolin costs around 4. If you need the doctor let's hope it isn't until the 6 months of social security has been paid:-)
I'm just coming up to paying my 6th payment. Not sure what happens now myself. I think I go to the local medical centre and ask for a tarjeta de salud...or something. Other people will be able to tell you, (and me) that.
Your bank if or when you have one will be able to tell you about health insurance if you need it..
Old Sep 30th 2010, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Can you help with a few queries about moving to Spain, Please?!

Originally Posted by emjharts

Thanks!!!
Do not worry about dentists, you can easely find english speaking dentists on most places in Spain And they are cheaper than in most western countries, specially if you compare with UK or Scandinavia.