Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can you get an MOT check done in Gibraltar?

Can you get an MOT check done in Gibraltar?

Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:07 am
Just Joined

ollyy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can you get an MOT check done in Gibraltar?

Hi,

I have just returned to spain from morocco with the intention of driving back to the UK for the MOT as i was under the impression it was the only option, however i've just spoken to an english couple who say their friend has done it in Gibraltar before?
Is it possible for any uk registered vehicle to go through the check, or do you have to be a resident of Gibraltar??
I'd appreciate information anyone might have about having the annual MOT check sorted in Gibraltar.
Thanks..
Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can you get an MOT check done in Gibraltar?

Only for Gibraltar registered cars
Old Feb 20th 2014, 11:55 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

As Concierge for the Spanish section of BE I would like to say hello and welcome.

BE is a very large expat website, so if you have problems finding your way around we have concierges who will try to direct you. The moderators for the Spanish forums are Mitzyboy and Fred James, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderador who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. At the top of the page you will find a quirkily named thread called Free Beer which is full of important and useful information. Hope you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Feb 20th 2014, 1:45 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ollyy
Hi,

I have just returned to spain from morocco with the intention of driving back to the UK for the MOT as i was under the impression it was the only option, however i've just spoken to an english couple who say their friend has done it in Gibraltar before?
Is it possible for any uk registered vehicle to go through the check, or do you have to be a resident of Gibraltar??
I'd appreciate information anyone might have about having the annual MOT check sorted in Gibraltar.
Thanks..
An MOT test can only be done legally in the UK.

Quote from a web site.

<Well, after further investigation I can absolutely 100% confirm that you CANNOT get a Gibraltar MOT on a UK-registered car,>

You can get an ITV done, but then it's not worth the paper it's printed on. A UK car, in another EU country, MUST be street legal in the country of it's registration, i.e. have a valid UK MOT, and valid UK tax. If the car is out of the UK for more than 6 months, it MUST be re registered in the other country. That is the law, many people do not abide by this, but risk very serious problems if they are stopped as it would be your responsibility to prove the car hadn't been in Spain for 6 months. Penalty id a fine, seizure of the car, and if you can't come up with the proof the car will be crushed, probably costing you more money.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:00 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

The other thing to consider is that Insurance policies carry a condition that the vehicle covered should be legal in the country where the vehicle is insured and driven.
If your car is not " legal " in spain then you could also have problems in the event of making a claim.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 2:45 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure that is correct (for most policies).

I asked Linea Directa if having an ITV or not affects the cover and their answer was that a current ITV was not a condition of the policy.

They can decline a claim if they consider that a car was not roadworthy at the time of an accident, but only if that contributed to the accident.

A current ITV does not prove that the car is roadworthy apart from the time it spent being tested. Brake cables could rupture minutes after the ITV.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 3:11 pm
EMR
Banned

EMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond reputeEMR has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen policies sold to expats that do say that the vehicle must be legal in the country it is driven.
A uk vehicle without, Tax , MOT is not road legal and as such this is when your insurance could be questioned.
But you pays your money and takes your risk.
Old Feb 20th 2014, 4:25 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

As always, read the policy!
Old Mar 8th 2014, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

vorsman is an unknown quantity at this point

Theoretically the MOT rules state you may drive a non mot car to the nearest mot test centre for a test providing you can show proof of an appointment. We have done this a couple of times from Hungary and pre booked an MOT in Dover. It is, of course a moot point, as to whether the regulations were designed to take in a 1000mile trip through half a dozen countries. It does not say you cannot do this. The real proof is in getting there without an accident or any other drama.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Finally now living in Lo Marabu, Rojales, and it feels like home
andyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond reputeandyrich666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vorsman
Theoretically the MOT rules state you may drive a non mot car to the nearest mot test centre for a test providing you can show proof of an appointment. We have done this a couple of times from Hungary and pre booked an MOT in Dover. It is, of course a moot point, as to whether the regulations were designed to take in a 1000mile trip through half a dozen countries. It does not say you cannot do this. The real proof is in getting there without an accident or any other drama.
The UK has a rule under the FSA where insurance and MOT is concerned, it is not illegal in regards to pay outs for driving without a MOT, if your insured with full cover they can only reduce the payout to **you** by a maximum of 10%, if there is a payout to any third party it is not considered part of this.

Of course you will not be told this as it is expected that you are to act responsibly, even a non MOT' car stopped by the brit pigs would not always constitute it being lifted there and then. Even by a traffic cop.
Old Mar 8th 2014, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

Tinky is an unknown quantity at this point

You think with a control set up by EU, you would be able to do it anywhere you wish... And that the rules would be the same across the board. I do wonder though if there has been a change, as I did remember reading a Norwegian guy having the same query and after a few rounds he got the confirmation that an ITV done here in Spain is indeed legal for his Norwegian registered car. Unfortunately the article is not in English, but if any wants to read I am sure Google will help a little:

http://www.abcnyheter.no/motor/2013/...len-i-utlandet
Old Mar 9th 2014, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tinky
You think with a control set up by EU, you would be able to do it anywhere you wish... And that the rules would be the same across the board. I do wonder though if there has been a change, as I did remember reading a Norwegian guy having the same query and after a few rounds he got the confirmation that an ITV done here in Spain is indeed legal for his Norwegian registered car. Unfortunately the article is not in English, but if any wants to read I am sure Google will help a little:

http://www.abcnyheter.no/motor/2013/...len-i-utlandet
When we lived in Spain (left 8 years ago) there were English Insurance companies who would accept an ITV as an MOT and thus you were road legal. The ITV on a foreign car you will see on the top right of the form is marked voluntary so you dont get an ITV windscreen sticker. However you did know you could definitely drive back to the UK and be fully insured. However it was advisable to book an MOT appointment. Of course in those days nudge nudge wink wink you could, with the right contacts get an MOT by post but not any more.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

Simon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud ofSimon_100 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by vorsman
When we lived in Spain (left 8 years ago) there were English Insurance companies who would accept an ITV as an MOT and thus you were road legal. The ITV on a foreign car you will see on the top right of the form is marked voluntary so you dont get an ITV windscreen sticker. However you did know you could definitely drive back to the UK and be fully insured. However it was advisable to book an MOT appointment. Of course in those days nudge nudge wink wink you could, with the right contacts get an MOT by post but not any more.
This is what I did for a few years until I learned that UK insurance only covers 'x' number of months overseas. Then I changed to Regal insurance who were happy with the Spanish voluntary ITV test. But then I read that without a valid road tax the car was till illegal - and of course you can't get that without the MoT and UK insurance certificate . . .

Regs

Simon
Old Mar 9th 2014, 10:06 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Simon_100
This is what I did for a few years until I learned that UK insurance only covers 'x' number of months overseas. Then I changed to Regal insurance who were happy with the Spanish voluntary ITV test. But then I read that without a valid road tax the car was till illegal - and of course you can't get that without the MoT and UK insurance certificate . . .

Regs

Simon
No road tax does not make the car illegal. It is insurance and MOT that affect this. Insurers can specify terms such as number of days but only with fully comp. The 3rd party element has no restrictions throughout the whole EU.
Old Mar 9th 2014, 10:18 am
EMR
Banned

Thankfully we are in Portugal not Spain, the GNR target untaxed UK cars at road checks as this is a sign that the vehicle is " illegal " and the drivers are given two options, lose it or get the vehicle out of Portugal ASAP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.