Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

can you become too spanish?

can you become too spanish?

Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:09 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can you become too spanish?

Originally Posted by jdr
I am underwhelmed at IB`s response to my question in site feedback, they are on permanent siesta.
whart du ewe meeen
Old Aug 11th 2009, 4:49 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
whart du ewe meeen
Yew gotit in wun. lol
Old Aug 11th 2009, 7:30 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Then there's gruntled. Another fine nonword.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 8:49 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by JLFS
I can see now that underwhelmed is a word, I was told years ago when I was learning English that is¡t did not exist.
I can say that I learned something new today.

Why didnt you look in a dictionary anytime between then and now?
Old Aug 11th 2009, 9:05 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whitelinen
Why didnt you look in a dictionary anytime between then and now?
How many people look in a dictionary for new words ?
Especially if they were told it didn`t exist before, I certainly wouldn`t.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

whitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to beholdwhitelinen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jdr
How many people look in a dictionary for new words ?
Especially if they were told it didn`t exist before, I certainly wouldn`t.

I have known this particular word and used it and heard it all my life and as far as I can see originated in 1950 more or less.

Hardly a new word, more of an OAP of a word I think.

When does a word stop being a new word? how many dictionaries are sold each day? Thank goodness millions of people check the voracity of statements made by uninformed people .
Old Aug 11th 2009, 9:33 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

I have known this particular word and used it and heard it all my life and as far as I can see originated in 1950 more or less.

When does a word stop being a new word? how many dictionaries are sold each day? Thank goodness millions of people check the voracity of statements made by uninformed people .
You are allegedly English the guy is Spanish, he was told the word didn`t exist by his teacher, end of story wtf should he look in the dictionary for it ?

Did you look in the Spanish dictionary for words that didn`t exist ? ROTFLMBO.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 9:49 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Why be so argumentative???
The poster is Spanish
Why not cut people some slack rather than criticise
Old Aug 11th 2009, 10:45 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, JDR and Mitzboy, for the support.

I dont know what it is, but I am like a red rag to a bull, you are right about the dictionaryhow many English peeps sit and look back to review all that they have learned, to make sure it still stands to day.

I think Ill stay out of comments about English and Spanish, coz Im damned if I do, and damned if I dont.

I like to think my English is good, and a little tip for those learning a foreign language, is, keep an open mind, and dont get bogged down by the the tiny, insignificant details, that can slow you up.

Dont go nit picking, look at the bigger picture. Learn the lesson and move on to the next.

That way you will progress quicker and learning will not be so daunting.

Be willing to listen to others and admit your own mistakes, I do all the time.

I am happy to have my mistakes pointed out, it is nice to know that someone is willing to make a bit of an effort to help.

This post is not aimed at anyone in particular, it is just a bit of advice from someone who has been through what some of you are going through now. ie, being a foreigner and not being able to communicate to a level which you can understand and be understood.

Cheers

Last edited by JLFS; Aug 11th 2009 at 11:48 am.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 6:33 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Thanks, JDR and Mitzboy, for the support.

I dont know what it is, but I am like a red rag to a bull, you are right about the dictionaryhow many English peeps sit and look back to review all that they have learned, to make sure it still stands to day.

I think Ill stay out of comments about English and Spanish, coz Im damned if I do, and damned if I dont.

I like to think my English is good, and a little tip for those learning a foreign language, is, keep an open mind, and dont get bogged down by the the tiny, insignificant details, that can slow you up.

Dont go nit picking, look at the bigger picture. Learn the lesson and move on to the next.

That way you will progress quicker and learning will not be so daunting.

Be willing to listen to others and admit your own mistakes, I do all the time.

I am happy to have my mistakes pointed out, it is nice to know that someone is willing to make a bit of an effort to help.

This post is not aimed at anyone in particular, it is just a bit of advice from someone who has been through what some of you are going through now. ie, being a foreigner and not being able to communicate to a level which you can understand and be understood.

Cheers
Keep posting, your English is excellent and your info is handy to us all.
It is great to get the Spanish side of things.
You will always get people who think they know it all and won`t accept that they are wrong sometimes and find any excuse, that is worse than being wrong.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 7:00 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the advice about the dictionary. I have found it very useful,

I have looked up the word “voracity” and the meaning is defined here:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Voracity

However, I think the word you were looking for is “veracity, which is defined here:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/veracity

Maybe I am not the only one who needs to do a “little revision”

I am sorry for the smugness, (childish, I know), but I could not resist, after quite publicly, being on the receiving end.

Last edited by JLFS; Aug 11th 2009 at 7:09 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 7:19 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the advice about the dictionary. I have found it very useful,

I have looked up the word “voracity” and the meaning is defined here:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/Voracity

However, I think the word you were looking for is “veracity, which is defined here:

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/veracity

Maybe I am not the only one who needs to do a “little revision”

I am sorry for the smugness, (childish, I know), but I could not resist, after quite publicly, being on the receiving end.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 8:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

The misspelling was deliberate.

The responses useful.
Old Aug 11th 2009, 8:20 pm
Banned

The responses useful.
Yeah, yeah, sure, in the same way that my post was deliberate about underwhelmed not being in the dictionary.

So you were just testing us were you???? Hmmm...............yeah......

I thought I would slip that "deliberate mistake" in, so that I would be challenged, and also see the "useful responses".

Sad really
Old Aug 11th 2009, 8:23 pm
Banned

The responses useful.
In what way useful???

I was the only one that responded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.