Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can I Pick Your Brains? (Costa Del Sol)

Can I Pick Your Brains? (Costa Del Sol)

Old Apr 2nd 2012, 11:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can I Pick Your Brains? (Costa Del Sol)

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
To be honest I think the city would be well rid of those who jet in and jet out. Fewer visitors I admit, but the increase in numbers of those who stay overnight would be of far greater benefit to the city than those car parking fees. It would also mean that visitors to the Alhambra get a far more relaxed and better experience.
The Alhambra receives over 2 million visitors a year, nearly all bussed in, if they only spend £20 each (including entrance) that's a serious amount of cash to be "rid off". Personally, I don't think very many of those are even remotely interested in staying in Granada, or they would already be doing it, but you seem to assume hotel stays will increase and more than compensate for the loss of day visitors. It happens all over, people are bussed into Sevilla, wander around the Alcázar, the cathedral etc, Ronda, they wander around Puente Nuevo, the bullring etc, then come late afternoon, they all head off to the places they have chosen to stay. ie. they don't chose to stay in any of those cities. Incidentally, the best time to visit the Alhambra, late afternoon when all the tour buses have headed back down to the coast, much more enjoyable.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 11:56 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
I can't help feeling there is an easy option to this, especially in Granada where the sheer numbers overwhelm the experience of visiting the Alhambra. Impose a prohibitive entrance charge, say 110 Euros, but with a 100 Euro discount for residents or anyone who can show hotel residency in the city, if only for one night. Is this feasible?
Residents already receive a discount down to zero fee

but then many visitors will pay for "the experience" or because it is on the "to do list" - as with the GDY I met who "did" the Alhambra in the morning and was looking forward to Cordoba in the afternoon. (Having been and seen I cannot understand how someone can actually appreciate the place in a couple of hours )

but I don't know how they can imagine they can get people to go into the town, the cathedral the shops etc etc, they are at the top of a hill with a coach waiting.
Perhaps the thing is to get those who organise the trips on their side, but they are only looking for maximum profit for the minimum of outlay, and 2 cities in a day is cost effective coachwise.
Although a 3 or even 4 star hotel can be had for €40 a room for the night, an evening meal at a decent place for around €15 a head. Even menu del dia is available from €3.50 (and a very decent meal) although the norm is around €5. (which is what I was paying in Barcelona about 6 years ago!!)

There is a proposal to build (presumably with EU funding) a cable car down to the town, but that will be limited to the small number it can take and IMHO a white elephant. Perhaps they should start up the buses that used to run from Alhambra to the Plaza Neuvo.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:02 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
The Alhambra receives over 2 million visitors a year, nearly all bussed in, if they only spend £20 each (including entrance) that's a serious amount of cash to be "rid off". Personally, I don't think very many of those are even remotely interested in staying in Granada, or they would already be doing it, but you seem to assume hotel stays will increase and more than compensate for the loss of day visitors. It happens all over, people are bussed into Sevilla, wander around the Alcázar, the cathedral etc, Ronda, they wander around Puente Nuevo, the bullring etc, then come late afternoon, they all head off to the places they have chosen to stay. ie. they don't chose to stay in any of those cities. Incidentally, the best time to visit the Alhambra, late afternoon when all the tour buses have headed back down to the coast, much more enjoyable.
if only I could get €1 from each of those visiting the Alhambra.

it is a problem that I have never experienced, been round the world a couple of times so used to making my own arrangements, never been on an all inclusive ripoff. Target a city and make a list of things to see, places to go, find my own eats off the beaten track where the locals go.
Have looked at some of the brochures and just cannot see the way the figures pan out, they seem so low even compared with the diy method, just cannot see how you can get anything out of a 5 cities in Spain in 4 days with one afternoon off to do your own thing, and get change out of £600 including flights.......
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Domino
There is a proposal to build (presumably with EU funding) a cable car down to the town, but that will be limited to the small number it can take and IMHO a white elephant. Perhaps they should start up the buses that used to run from Alhambra to the Plaza Neuvo.
There was an ambitious project to connect Granada to the Sierra Nevada by cable car, but after several years of talk, it bit the dust!
http://todogranada.blogspot.co.uk/20...-grounded.html
I haven't been for a few years, are the little buses not running any more? It's a bit of a hike uphill!
I have never done an organised trip in my life, part of the fun for me is organizing it myself, hotels, private accommodation, flight, hire car etc. it's certainly more expensive but I go exactly where I want to go when I want to go.

Last edited by agoreira; Apr 2nd 2012 at 12:08 pm.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:14 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

A good way to get more people to visit and spend money in Granada city itself is to move the Alhambra down to the town, a few buildings would have to be knocked down,but you cant make an omellette without breaking eggs.

On second thoughts my idea could be the 2nd daftest suggestion that has been put forward on the subject. after the 110 euro deposit idea
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by agoreira
There was an ambitious project to connect Granada to the Sierra Nevada by cable car, but after several years of talk, it bit the dust!
http://todogranada.blogspot.co.uk/20...-grounded.html
I haven't been for a few years, are the little buses not running any more? It's a bit of a hike uphill!
I have never done an organised trip in my life, part of the fun for me is organizing it myself, hotels, private accommodation, flight, hire car etc. it's certainly more expensive but I go exactly where I want to go when I want to go.
the noddy buses still run, the drivers are still as rude as they were when I first came here 4 years ago, but they have been rebuilding the Puerta de las Granadas on the Questa de Gomerez for all that time and the buses havent been running up/down there, although the stops and signs are still there, the central arch is barriered off to traffic...they have been up and down the Questa Infantes instead.
did hear that someone was refurbishing the derelict Washington Irving hotel, but havent been up there recently to see what is happening.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Even menu del dia is available from €3.50 (and a very decent meal) although the norm is around €5. (which is what I was paying in Barcelona about 6 years ago!!)

I have never ever seen a menu del dia advertised for 5 euros in Spain, never mind 3 euros 50

I moved to Barcelona 5 years ago and back then the cheapest were 8 euros with most being 10 or 12 euros
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:34 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I have never ever seen a menu del dia advertised for 5 euros in Spain, never mind 3 euros 50

I moved to Barcelona 5 years ago and back then the cheapest were 8 euros with most being 10 or 12 euros
Plenty 'round here - but then it's hardly a tourist resort.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS
A good way to get more people to visit and spend money in Granada city itself is to move the Alhambra down to the town, a few buildings would have to be knocked down,but you cant make an omellette without breaking eggs.

On second thoughts my idea could be the 2nd daftest suggestion that has been put forward on the subject. after the 110 euro deposit idea
not so silly really i suppose, but then when Juan was riding his donkey, Isabel was riding her horse and Boabdil was giving up the final jewel of the Nasrid kingdom there was no thought about tourism.
and its a silly place to build a castle anyway.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:47 pm

give me a shout when you are down this way and I will treat you to a €3.50 three course MDD, just off the Avenida de la Constitution, a gentle stroll from the Triunfo. Even on the Gran Capitan there are at least 3 places offering MDD for less that your €8 - usually around the €6 with plenty of variations. and choices.

I am meeting the BH and a friend for lunch there on Wednesday so i will have to take camera and take a foto of their A board - just for you CM
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
Plenty 'round here - but then it's hardly a tourist resort.
I dont frequent tourist resorts either

I am in Oviedo today, no 3 euro 50 menus here. They start at 7-8 euros

Sam ine Malaga, Marbella, Barcelona, Madrid etc. Everywhere I've been over the past 12 months I've never seen such cheap menus de dia

Must be down in the Alicante/Valencia area. People on here are always saying how cheap it is there re. rents etc. It must be the cheapest part of the Med Coast
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 12:55 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

give me a shout when you are down this way and I will treat you to a €3.50 three course MDD, just off the Avenida de la Constitution, a gentle stroll from the Triunfo. Even on the Gran Capitan there are at least 3 places offering MDD for less that your €8 - usually around the €6 with plenty of variations. and choices.

I am meeting the BH and a friend for lunch there on Wednesday so i will have to take camera and take a foto of their A board - just for you CM
not doubting your word, but how the hell can any place do a 3 course MDD for 3.50........all they are doing is turnover, not profit.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:02 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

I dont frequent tourist resorts either

I am in Oviedo today, no 3 euro 50 menus here. They start at 7-8 euros

Sam ine Malaga, Marbella, Barcelona, Madrid etc. Everywhere I've been over the past 12 months I've never seen such cheap menus de dia

Must be down in the Alicante/Valencia area. People on here are always saying how cheap it is there re. rents etc. It must be the cheapest part of the Med Coast
rents aren't cheap in my 'tourist' town......... but there are at least 2 places doing a €5 MDD
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS
not doubting your word, but how the hell can any place do a 3 course MDD for 3.50........all they are doing is turnover, not profit.
look, coming from a sales and marketing background I still cannot work out how a 1/3 tubo of beer + tapas for €1.40 (just got back from 2 different bars at same price) can be viable either, but I am just going with the flow.

the guy was in local paper a couple of months ago, about to go bust until he started the €3.50 MDD now he is off the rocks, definitely not going the way of the Greek captain, even if it isnt totally clear waters yet.
most items get cheaper the more you buy, then as he now has the throughput he is also making profit on other things off the MDD as more people are dropping in - see a place full everyone wants to see what is happening.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute

look, coming from a sales and marketing background I still cannot work out how a 1/3 tubo of beer + tapas for €1.40 (just got back from 2 different bars at same price) can be viable either, but I am just going with the flow.

the guy was in local paper a couple of months ago, about to go bust until he started the €3.50 MDD now he is off the rocks, definitely not going the way of the Greek captain, even if it isnt totally clear waters yet.
most items get cheaper the more you buy, then as he now has the throughput he is also making profit on other things off the MDD as more people are dropping in - see a place full everyone wants to see what is happening.
We've just started patronising a bar in town which changed hands recently and is now offering a cana and a tapa (choice of 14, including half a dozen things the vegetarian OH can eat, even gambas pil pil, albeit a very small portion) for 1€. Haven't seen any menus del dia for 5€ around, though, let alone 3.50€. 7-8€ is more the norm.

We were in Granada in February, for San Valentin. We used the direct bus service from where we live, stayed overnight at a very nice little hotel just off Gran Colon for 31.50€ for the night and enjoyed some nice meals at very reasonable prices. We did go to the Alhambra as well, but have been to Granada several times before and not gone there - I like the city itself with all it has to offer and it is near enough for us to go there and back in a day if we want to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.