Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

can i live in spain?

can i live in spain?

Old Dec 30th 2014, 8:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can i live in spain?

Thanks for replies re possible insurance, I possibly could get an extension on one I have but it is part of a package I got when I retired so would end up having to pay extra every month, my usual stay is up to the 2_months. So just an extra one off month would be ideal. I will ring some of those suggested nearer the time.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking along the same lines.Looked into 6months travel ins. and it appears to be do-able. What is not so easy to resolve is the best method of buying a car, this is assuming that you will need one. You have to decide whether to buy Spanish or UK. It seems either way can have problems? If a UK vehicle (and this my understanding of the procedure) then you should adapt your car to comply with their regulations at 3 months.I have been told that there is a further 3 months ' grace' but this seems to be open to dispute. The penalties
are severe. I know that you can 'pop out' of Spain for a day and the 3 months start again.
I appreciate that you can drive back to Blighty, but with a parent needing some care. This might be a trip to far.
How serious the other way, I am not sure.
If anyone can clarify, I would be grateful.
Many thanks in advance.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 10:57 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RichieBuilder
Hi, this is my first post here.
I am looking for information in regards to the possibility of living in uk for 6 months and spain for 6 months.
We do hope to settle somewhere in the sun full time eventually.
Anyone with advice?
Where to look for advice?
Thanks in advance.
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Dec 31st 2014, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Kentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond reputeKentishladd has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kentishladd
I'm thinking along the same lines.Looked into 6months travel ins. and it appears to be do-able. What is not so easy to resolve is the best method of buying a car, this is assuming that you will need one. You have to decide whether to buy Spanish or UK. It seems either way can have problems? If a UK vehicle (and this my understanding of the procedure) then you should adapt your car to comply with their regulations at 3 months.I have been told that there is a further 3 months ' grace' but this seems to be open to dispute. The penalties
are severe. I know that you can 'pop out' of Spain for a day and the 3 months start again.
I appreciate that you can drive back to Blighty, but with a parent needing some care. This might be a trip to far.
How serious the other way, I am not sure.
If anyone can clarify, I would be grateful.
Many thanks in advance.
It all depends on which months you are intending on being out there as in the off season car rental is for pennies- have travelled a fair part of the globe and never saw such low prices for off season car hire
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, any ideas as to who to deal with? I've looked but I have yet to find a bargain.also, it is best to pay by debit card andthiscanpresent a problem in finding a supplier.Again, thank you.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 12:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

For off season have a look at travelsupermarket

Ford fiesta around £20 a week, collected at Malaga
Old Dec 31st 2014, 2:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

Not saying right or wrong......but from what is being said insurance or lack of it is the so-called fear factor in everyone.

Have visited Spain many times over the last 30 odd years, have never taken their extra car insurance they offer...never would have needed to claim in that time, so quids in... visited for six months and neighbours kept a watch on home in UK it didn't burn down....not visited a doctor or hospital for many years for anything you couldn't buy in a chemist, no accidents, touch wood.....insurance is all about risk, if you are high risk buy it. The only compulsory insurance is basic third party car insurance, the rest is pure choice. Your choice.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I am of the belief that you can have your UK registered car in Spain for 6 months of course it must be fully legal in UK, I.e. tax, mot and insured. over 6 months I believe it should be registered in Spain.
Old Dec 31st 2014, 7:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

It's actually six months in one calendar year, just like tax residency so you could, in theory keep it in Spain from July 1st one year to June 30th the next year - assuming tax, insurance and MOT were OK.

The problem is with the owner. If he spends more than 6 months in Spain in a calendar year he is tax resident and must re register the car.

The 90 days certificate requirement is irrelevant as that doesn't make you a fiscal resident.

The whole thing is a bit of a joke really. There are tens of thousands of UK cars and vans in Spain that have been there for years without tax or MOT, owned by full time residents. The Guardia seem to have accepted this and do absolutely nothing about it.

It's crazy as there is potentially a large amount of income to be generated if they enforced the rules but they just can't be bothered.

In 14 years here, I only only know of one case where the owner was fined and then it was only because he foolishly produced his Residencia card when stopped.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 6:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Recently spoke to a couple who have just retuned to Ireland after a 4 year stint in Spain renting a house, retired so no work. They basically registered for nothing- residency or tax and were never chased up at all for this illegality.

Don't know them that well to ask too many questions about how they got away with this but they're back in Ireland now so unlikely they will be brought to book for their actions
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 5:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Just re car hire I have just booked for 7 weeks Feb/March all included extra insurance fuel no deposit to pay no excess retained on credit card for £230. I usually use an annual car hire excess policy but as ran out and at such a low price couldn't really go wrong. I have used same co before CAR RENTAL & cheap CAR HIRE and had no problems, the hire I have is with Delpaso who again used before without issues. In the summer for longer 3 month stay I drive over as car hire extortionate .
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Blackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond reputeBlackey_Oz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
If the OP stays up to 90 days then say returns to UK for few days or Portugal etc then returns for up to further 90 days then problem solved legally.
I know I shouldn't be responding to such an early post but...
In my case, being Australian(obviously not having EU status) is that 90 days the length of time one can legally stay in Spain?
And would a "border jump" for a few days then return account as legal??
Secondly, if one is to practice that,(until other arrangements made to legally stay) can a motor vehicle be Spanish registered purchased / owned??
Any guidance appreciated.

Last edited by Blackey_Oz; Jan 2nd 2015 at 6:18 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

jonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond reputejonboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Just re car hire I have just booked for 7 weeks Feb/March all included extra insurance fuel no deposit to pay no excess retained on credit card for £230. I usually use an annual car hire excess policy but as ran out and at such a low price couldn't really go wrong. I have used same co before CAR RENTAL & cheap CAR HIRE and had no problems, the hire I have is with Delpaso who again used before without issues. In the summer for longer 3 month stay I drive over as car hire extortionate .
Good prices per day. However looking at the terms it says at the end

"Please note that there are some cases which are not covered by any insurance: Loss of keys, damage to radio-cd or upholstery, refuelling of the wrong type of fuel, driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs, lost or stolen car parts (spare tyre, jacket...etc.), as well as any damages that are not on an accident report."

Maybe the Annual Car Hire Excess Policy could still be of value?
Old Jan 2nd 2015, 8:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Blackey Oz yes if you pop over to Portugal or France for a day the 3 months starts again for EU citizens not sure about non EU and visas etc.

Jonboy yes I was aware of that but I have never had any problems re the things they mention other than having a car aerial stolen once. It does cover all the other things like glass tyres underneath etc. Only bugbear is after 28 days I have to return to change the car as Max rental is 28 days per hire (a lot are) .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.