Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can ANYONE save me from this gloom?

Can ANYONE save me from this gloom?

Old Mar 5th 2013, 2:35 pm
Just Joined

ThomasMellor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can ANYONE save me from this gloom?

Hi - My name is Thomas, and im eager to work somewhere hot for a few months this year - Ill do pretty much anything, preferably outdoors, Im smart, well-spoken, enthusiastic and open-minded.

If you can offer me ANYTHING to get me out of this god-forsaken country for a few months, then Ill more than likely take you up on that offer.

And I mean ANYTHING.

All/any responses will be greatly appreciated :-)

Thanks
Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Can ANYONE save me from this gloom?

Why not join the WWOOF scheme?
http://www.wwoof.org/

There are always loads of wwoofers working around Spain.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by billgates
Why not join the WWOOF scheme?
http://www.wwoof.org/

There are always loads of wwoofers working around Spain.
I had never heard of it, but Ill take a look - much appreciated :-)
Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute

Don't come just yet - it's cold, wet and miserable down here in the south!

Take a look at workaway.com as well, free board and lodging in exchange for a few hours' work.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 3:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pocaloca

Take a look at workaway.com as well, free board and lodging in exchange for a few hours' work.
Another champion idea, Ill get on it.

Again, much appreciated :-)
Old Mar 5th 2013, 4:52 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ThomasMellor
Hi - My name is Thomas, and im eager to work somewhere hot for a few months this year - Ill do pretty much anything, preferably outdoors, Im smart, well-spoken, enthusiastic and open-minded.

If you can offer me ANYTHING to get me out of this god-forsaken country for a few months, then Ill more than likely take you up on that offer.

And I mean ANYTHING.

Thanks
Watch you don't get run over by Spanish folk stampeding in the opposite direction trying to get out of what they consider to be their own god-forsaken country with little or no future.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 4:54 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pocaloca

HelpX is another good one, very similar to workaway.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 6:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Watch you don't get run over by Spanish folk stampeding in the opposite direction trying to get out of what they consider to be their own god-forsaken country with little or no future.
Is that not Europe in general!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 10:35 pm
On the road again.

Originally Posted by bobd22
Is that not Europe in general!

So why are the Spanish taking foreign language lessons seriously for the first time in their history and heading off in droves to work in Germany,the UK and elsewhere ?
Old Mar 5th 2013, 11:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Can ANYONE save me from this gloom?

Originally Posted by ThomasMellor

And I mean ANYTHING.

Thanks
Sadly there are few places in the world that have not been effected by the economic recession but there are plenty that enjoy winter sunshine. At the moment Spain is not one of them but from May to October it will be very hot and sunny..we are in Goa for the winter as its hot and sunny here. Yesterday it was 37 degs and the sea is warm!
Try working round the world if you are looking for a challenge but like The Alchemist..you can find what you need within yourself.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 2:53 am
On the road again.

Gloomy is an understatement.
It's been as black as hells kettle in my area of Spain just recently and tipping it down cats and dogs with still some snow up in the hills.
Hopefully better things to come soon, before I develop webbed feet.
Old Mar 6th 2013, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Saxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to beholdSaxy is a splendid one to behold

It's been as black as hells kettle in my area of Spain just recently and tipping it down cats and dogs with still some snow up in the hills.
And become 'Duck Dasterdly'!
Old Mar 6th 2013, 6:50 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

have to agree Dick, it was raining nearly all last week, except it did snow on Thursday, but it was Andalucia Day so everyone had the day off anyway
managed a dry weekend but now its cats and dogs again.

next thing you know the Spanish will be wondering how their reservoir's are so full, and from what I can see they aren't that efficient on water retention here, most seems to run off the already sodden surface and is lost.

perhaps my little place in a Far East kampong with straw hat, tablecloth and flipflops is looking a better option after all
Old Mar 6th 2013, 8:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

So why are the Spanish taking foreign language lessons seriously for the first time in their history and heading off in droves to work in Germany,the UK and elsewhere ?
There are not that many Spaniards leaving the country - 90% of those emigrating from Spain are foreigners who moved to Spain in the past 10 years or so

There was a net migration of just 25,000 Spaniards in 2012, compared to 15% of the entire Portuguese population (around 1 milllion) who have left in the last few years. Now that IS an exodus
Old Mar 6th 2013, 8:13 am
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
There are not that many Spaniards leaving the country - 90% of those emigrating from Spain are foreigners who moved to Spain in the past 10 years or so

There was a net migration of just 25,000 Spaniards in 2012, compared to 15% of the entire Portuguese population (around 1 milllion) who have left in the last few years. Now that IS an exodus
I think that with the new tax measures there will be a quite lot of Spaniards returning to the UK as they have formed families there are have properties that they still own and do not think it is fair that they should be penalised for keeping a roof over their childrens heads, ie leaving the family home in the hands of their children.

We are thinking of moving to Portugal for a few months of the year and then back to UK and using the 90 day rule to obtain residency there, as are others.

Last edited by me me; Mar 6th 2013 at 8:15 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.