Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Granada?

Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Granada?

Old Jul 4th 2012, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

lovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nice
Default Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Granada?

We are going to Granada for a couple of days, staying near the Alhambra, and we would very much like to eat in an Arabic/Moroccan restaurant in the evening - any recommendations please?
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

robt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant futurerobt23 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Can anyone recommend a good restaurant in Granada?

Granada is a very good choice for a good time. So, your looking for Arabic Restaurants ?

Staying near the Alhambra , again is a good choice. There are 1 or 2 in the Albaicin area but in the vicinity to the Alhambra I have seen a few more.

I do live in Granada but I wish I could offer some better advice . I can give you top rate restaurants in Granada but not what you are after.

I think you are in a very small minority here , which explains the lack of feed back.

When you arrive at your place of stay the hotel manager or whatever should have some knowledge.

Personally, I would go to the Mirador de San Nicolas , some restauants very near there. There`s also a Mosque which is right next to the Mirador. The folk inside are friendly and the gardens are really nice, they can point you in the right direction too.

Views are beyond fantastic . Ah, One has just hit me , though again I have never been. It`s basically 20 or 30 meters away from the Mirador de San Nicolas and it has an Arabic name and the views are just amazing . How do I know ? Well, I walk past every so often.

Hope that gives you some pointers. You can always ask your sat nav for those restaurants ! just a thought .......

Anyhow, Good luck.

Last edited by robt23; Jul 4th 2012 at 9:07 pm.
Old Jul 4th 2012, 9:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robt23
Personally, I would go to the Mirador de San Nicolas , some restauants very near there. There`s also a Mosque which is right next to the Mirador. The folk inside are friendly and the gardens are really nice, they can point you in the right direction too.

Views are beyond fantastic
Certainly are! Sunset at the Mirador de San Nicholás looking across to the Alhambra, a bit special.
Old Jul 5th 2012, 4:47 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovingthesun
We are going to Granada for a couple of days, staying near the Alhambra, and we would very much like to eat in an Arabic/Moroccan restaurant in the evening - any recommendations please?

also in Granada, but not got round to trying this place which advertises as such
Puerta Elvira, Plaza del Triunfo 19, Granada 18010, Spain
Tel 958 20 49 22

not sure about the menu at Ugarit, Calle Natalio Rivas, Granada, although I used to coffee there regularly. They are open all day so you could pop in - possibly the easiest way to get to it is to go most of the way along the Calle Gran Via de Colon and it is adjacent to the Banesto bank on the corner.

If you require a recommendation for an ordinary restaurant then try the Gran Via, down the Calle Gran Via de Colon at the junction with the Calle de la Carcel Baja, it may seem a little cramped but they have outdoor tables under the shadow of the cathedral walls at this time of year.

For fish restaurant try El Chanquete, Calle de Pedro Antonio de Alarcón, 27 18004 Granada, Tel 958 52 20 10
Expensive but good.

Hope this helps, let us know how you get on or if you need any further assistance
kr
Old Jul 5th 2012, 4:54 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

...........for unhindered views of Granada then try the Alhambra Palace Hotel, the views are stupendous across the whole plain and they do a very good coffee.

We have also found the views and meals good on the roof restaurant at the Hotel Alixares, which looks out over the Alhambra.

will have to think about writing a book about some of these places...........
Old Jul 5th 2012, 8:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I know you are after personal recommendations, but as there are not many, this place gets good reviews on tipadvisor.
http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaur...Andalucia.html
This one is mentioned as well. Some of the reviews are a bit old, but might be worth a try!
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserR...Andalucia.html
Old Jul 7th 2012, 7:14 am
Forum Regular

lovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nicelovingthesun is just really nice

Hi all, thanks very much for all your suggestions. Sadly, we had already set off early on Thursday morning before I had a chance to see any of them - didn't take my laptop with me - I should have asked the question sooner

After a fabulous day at the Alhambra - my first visit - we headed up to the Mirador San Nicolas so that we could watch the Alhambra as the sun went down. We ended up at El Huerto de Juan Ranas which was a perfect spot to dine while watching this. Sadly, I wasn't impressed with either the food or the service but the view made up for it.

We were in the area down by the cathedral yesterday lunchtime and I asked a couple of Moroccan guys for recommendations for Arabic food and they both recommended the Arrayanes but, again, I was disappointed - I was with my husband and a couple of friends and we all agreed that we make better humus and kebabs ourselves

Still, at least I feel that I have my bearings in the city now and can't wait to go back to such a fabulous place and next time I'm sure we'll find better places to eat!

ps Domino - we actually stayed at the Alixares Hotel and thought it was a wonderful, peaceful location yet just 5 minutes walk to the entrance to the Alhambra. We just left the car there the whole time and took the cheap & plentiful taxis when we wanted to go out.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

TheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond reputeTheLostPhotographer has a reputation beyond repute

Too late, but...

IME the best Moroccan resto in Granada is not too far from Mirador de San Nicolas. Walk down the road towards San Miguel Bajo. About 200 Meters on the right is an extremely friendly, very unassuming place with great service and great prices. Food is excellent and very authentic. You're not paying for views, or a fabulous location. However, if you just want to eat delicious, Moroccan food this is the place.

The times I have taken people there we have been told to stop ordering, because we ordered enough already. Small, unassuming, very friendly, delicious food, good prices. On the corner of Huerta de Carlos just 200 Meters from Mirador de San Nicolas.

If you want traditional Andalucian, freshly prepared food close to the cathedral, try a daily menu at Marquess de Girona. Currently just €9 for a daily menu. Again, very unassuming, unpretentious with great service, great value and delicious homecooked food made with fresh local produce. The locals who know love the place. Keep English lunchtime hours to beat the rush and the queues

Last edited by TheLostPhotographer; Jul 8th 2012 at 12:54 am.
Old Jul 8th 2012, 6:51 am

Originally Posted by lovingthesun
Hi all, thanks very much for all your suggestions. Sadly, we had already set off early on Thursday morning before I had a chance to see any of them - didn't take my laptop with me - I should have asked the question sooner

After a fabulous day at the Alhambra - my first visit - we headed up to the Mirador San Nicolas so that we could watch the Alhambra as the sun went down. We ended up at El Huerto de Juan Ranas which was a perfect spot to dine while watching this. Sadly, I wasn't impressed with either the food or the service but the view made up for it.

We were in the area down by the cathedral yesterday lunchtime and I asked a couple of Moroccan guys for recommendations for Arabic food and they both recommended the Arrayanes but, again, I was disappointed - I was with my husband and a couple of friends and we all agreed that we make better humus and kebabs ourselves

Still, at least I feel that I have my bearings in the city now and can't wait to go back to such a fabulous place and next time I'm sure we'll find better places to eat!

ps Domino - we actually stayed at the Alixares Hotel and thought it was a wonderful, peaceful location yet just 5 minutes walk to the entrance to the Alhambra. We just left the car there the whole time and took the cheap & plentiful taxis when we wanted to go out.
Taxi's ! !

Walk from the Alixares down the hill brings you to the Gomerez, a walking road that takes you through the newly rebuilt gate and drops you off in the Plaza Neuvo, a stone's throw from the cathedral. The walk is full of trees lining the road.
Getting back the same way but it is a 45degree slope, so 20mins down but 35mins back, so take the Noddy bus for €1.70 it is an experience.

come again, we want more people who stay for a night or six, rather than the those who drop in for a couple of hours on a 3 city tour in a day.
rgds