Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

can anyone help please!!!

can anyone help please!!!

Old Feb 21st 2007, 11:41 am
jo

nalev is on a distinguished road
Unhappy can anyone help please!!!

Hi everyone, Need some help if possible!! Long story but marriage ended, husband left us in the middle of it, i have two brilliant kids and we are loosing our home and have very little money. We are looking for a fresh start and would rather start again in the sun than in this country! We are ready to pack bags and land and i need to find work and a place for us to stay for a while. I work with kids who have problems but will consider anything that will keep us for now. And if anyone could advise on kids schools over there.If we dont do this now we never will so any advice will be appreaciated by us.
Thanks, desperate, somewhere freezing in england.
Jx
Old Feb 21st 2007, 11:43 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: can anyone help please!!!

Originally Posted by nalev
Hi everyone, Need some help if possible!! Long story but marriage ended, husband left us in the middle of it, i have two brilliant kids and we are loosing our home and have very little money. We are looking for a fresh start and would rather start again in the sun than in this country! We are ready to pack bags and land and i need to find work and a place for us to stay for a while. I work with kids who have problems but will consider anything that will keep us for now. And if anyone could advise on kids schools over there.If we dont do this now we never will so any advice will be appreaciated by us.
Thanks, desperate, somewhere freezing in england.
Jx
Hiya

Do you speak Spanish?
Which areas are you looking at?
Whats your budget?
Have you been working (paying stamp) in the UK over the last 5 years?
Old Feb 21st 2007, 11:47 am
jo

quite sad really, my budget is £1000, i dont mind what area but more english the better i suppose, and no i dont speak spanish.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 11:49 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

quite sad really, my budget is £1000, i dont mind what area but more english the better i suppose, and no i dont speak spanish.

Sorry, is that £1000 per month

You can get small places over here for rent for 3-400 euros a month fairly easily if you look around, maybe inland a little.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 11:53 am
jo

no just £1000 to get us over there till i find work, my husband has left us with nothing, and i have to start again!
Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:20 pm
Senior Moment

no just £1000 to get us over there till i find work, my husband has left us with nothing, and i have to start again!
Don't wish to dash your hopes, but thats really not a good plan. Work here is not as easy to come by as maybe you think, especially as you don't speak Spanish.
£1000, with rent, will maybe keep you for a month
If you haven't been contributing to the NI in the Uk through work then you will probably get little or no health cover over here
Salaries are a lot less here ..... arguably, the average wage here is 13000 euros
In the built up areas you may get a bar job ... do you have experience of that?
Its horrible what has happened to you, but please don't make a knee jerk decision and end up "out of the frying pan, into the fire"
Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

spain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond reputespain has a reputation beyond repute

dont rush into anything silly - 1000 pounds will not last long at all and then you will be in a worse situation than you are there

take you time, think about your options - just my opinion of course
Old Feb 21st 2007, 12:53 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Nalev,

Please don't act out of desperation.

I have read and re-read your post and wish I had a massive house and loads of cash so that I could say to you, yeah.....come on over and we'll help you out, but that's not the case.

The only thing I have that I can give you is advice and that advice would be to stay where you are. If you are thinking of your children, then think rationally. In the UK you have healthcare and schooling. I am also sure you can get help from the government to help support your family (whether it's in the form of housing or additional income support) as well as working within your profession. Once you have a steady income and things have stabilised a little bit, by all means, get on a plane and come over for a holiday/short break and see what things are like in Spain.

Employment here is very difficult, especially if you don't speak the language and if you are lucky enough to find a job, then the wages are basic. Renting may seem cheaper than in the UK, but if compared to Spanish wages, then it's a whole different story. Don't put your children through more turmoil then they have probably already experienced. What they need now is for you to be strong and provide the stability they require.

Last edited by MnM; Feb 21st 2007 at 1:02 pm.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:00 pm
jo

thanks for the advice. i know your right, it's just tempting. it's just hard to try and start again from scratch here. x
Old Feb 21st 2007, 1:05 pm
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for the advice. i know your right, it's just tempting. it's just hard to try and start again from scratch here. x
It would be 10 times harder in Spain, or any other foreign country for that matter!

Heartfelt wishes for the best of luck!
Old Feb 21st 2007, 2:44 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Have you got family to help you? If you are about to lose your home then you need practical advice. Go to the Citizens Advice and explain your predicament, they will advise you about your rights in terms of benefits for you and your children until you can get on your feet, also they should be able to point you in the right direction for help with somewhere to live.

You are probably still in a state of turmoil with the end of your marriage and not thinking rationally, of course, you are thinking what you feel would be best for your children, but really, moving to another country without any money or actual plans is not a sensible move. Not at this stage anyway.

Please let us know what you decide to do.
Old Feb 21st 2007, 3:12 pm
jo

Originally Posted by Lionda
Have you got family to help you? If you are about to lose your home then you need practical advice. Go to the Citizens Advice and explain your predicament, they will advise you about your rights in terms of benefits for you and your children until you can get on your feet, also they should be able to point you in the right direction for help with somewhere to live.

You are probably still in a state of turmoil with the end of your marriage and not thinking rationally, of course, you are thinking what you feel would be best for your children, but really, moving to another country without any money or actual plans is not a sensible move. Not at this stage anyway.

Please let us know what you decide to do.
thanks for the reply. xx
Old Feb 21st 2007, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

mrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond reputemrsjdr has a reputation beyond repute

Agree with what everyone is saying to you, realise how you feel, nice fresh start in the sun, but it is not easy, even with some money behind you, it is a big thing to do. As you have children you must think of them, they need the stability of the schooling and health care in UK, what if one of you fell ill as soon as you came over, a £1,000 would not go far then. Really think about it, do some research, and good luck
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:17 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrsjdr
Agree with what everyone is saying to you, realise how you feel, nice fresh start in the sun, but it is not easy, even with some money behind you, it is a big thing to do. As you have children you must think of them, they need the stability of the schooling and health care in UK, what if one of you fell ill as soon as you came over, a £1,000 would not go far then. Really think about it, do some research, and good luck

Me too.. you need to calm down and re-think your plan carefully. You'll be better off in England, at least for now. I wish you good luck with whatever you decide..
Old Feb 21st 2007, 9:58 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody men for you

Well i think you should heed all the above advice young Lady, You will just give yourself a lot of grief and more heartache as you watch your kids starve on the pavement , as £ 1,000 is not enough and theres no Welfare state in Spain !

If you starve they will just push you to the kerbside and make a new mountain out of you !

Why do you think Spain has a lot of mountains ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.