Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Campervan, mail forwarding, many questions, can you help?

Campervan, mail forwarding, many questions, can you help?

Old Apr 26th 2011, 1:50 pm
Just Joined

jago25_98 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Campervan, mail forwarding, many questions, can you help?

- somewhere to store my campervan (caravan storage?)

- a mail forwarding service, ideally to email

- van rental rates for a month and one way hire

- I'm thinking about keeping my RHD campervan initially but really I'd prefer to swap it for a LHD estate

- any comments on the atlantic coast all the way from Vigo in the west to Bilbao in the east?

- Doing odd jobs with only rudimentary Spanish. Is it possible? That is, in this country if I have some time to fill I fix computers. I wouldn't feel confident doing that without better Spanish; I'd feel like a conman! However, I wonder if there are some things that are socially acceptable for a foreign invader to do, like gardening. It's not about the money. Rather, I'm just wondering if I'll be able to do a bit of moonlighting of any kind. Perhaps volunteering might be a better idea. I don't know. One thing I've noticed is that in a new land I can take to things better than in the UK, but the logistics of the language is sometimes harder. Perhaps a small business selling things to small shops might be better in that the price is there upfront; less communication involved and indeed migrant businesses seem to be successful in this.
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:28 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Campervan, mail forwarding, many questions, can you help?

Originally Posted by jago25_98

- I'm thinking about keeping my RHD campervan initially but really I'd prefer to swap it for a LHD estate

- any comments on the atlantic coast all the way from Vigo in the west to Bilbao in the east?

- Doing odd jobs with only rudimentary Spanish. Is it possible? That is, in this country if I have some time to fill I fix computers. I wouldn't feel confident doing that without better Spanish; I'd feel like a conman! However, I wonder if there are some things that are socially acceptable for a foreign invader to do, like gardening. It's not about the money. Rather, I'm just wondering if I'll be able to do a bit of moonlighting of any kind. Perhaps volunteering might be a better idea. I don't know. One thing I've noticed is that in a new land I can take to things better than in the UK, but the logistics of the language is sometimes harder. Perhaps a small business selling things to small shops might be better in that the price is there upfront; less communication involved and indeed migrant businesses seem to be successful in this.
Giving up on New Zealand already ?
Old Apr 26th 2011, 3:57 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Once you start talking about having a business, then rudimentary knowledge of the language is not enough, even gardening and odd jobs you would have to deal with suppliers, and they would almost certainly be Spanish, and most of the supplies would be in Spanish as well. Supplying goods would need much more knowledge of Spanish as you would have to provide legal delivery notes, not all of your customers would be working illegally..
Old Apr 26th 2011, 4:16 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

I´ll have a pint of whatever he´s drinking

Davexf
Old Apr 26th 2011, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

jago25_98 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jdr
Giving up on New Zealand already ?
Very good! Yes you might say that! I got the working holiday visa if I need a stop gap and my brother says he's saved halfway enough for NZ. But... the Argentine girlfriend managed to get a qualification transfer allowing work in Spain so all we need is a job offer and we can be together

I like New Zealand and Aus but the girlfriend doesn't. Plus, on the surface my job seemed in great demand (Geologist) but in practice unless you're a chartered engineer it's no different than unskilled labour. I found this a bit bizarre in that I've had job offers for temporary positions in both Australia and NZ but didn't want to jump ship because there's no guarantee of something permanent and it would be a lot of paperwork for the girlfriend to get a doctors job there. And I can't stand paperwork :/
Old Apr 27th 2011, 12:13 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Very good! Yes you might say that! I got the working holiday visa if I need a stop gap and my brother says he's saved halfway enough for NZ. But... the Argentine girlfriend managed to get a qualification transfer allowing work in Spain so all we need is a job offer and we can be together

I like New Zealand and Aus but the girlfriend doesn't. Plus, on the surface my job seemed in great demand (Geologist) but in practice unless you're a chartered engineer it's no different than unskilled labour. I found this a bit bizarre in that I've had job offers for temporary positions in both Australia and NZ but didn't want to jump ship because there's no guarantee of something permanent and it would be a lot of paperwork for the girlfriend to get a doctors job there. And I can't stand paperwork :/
And you're thinking of living in Spain!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 11:57 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Do they have paperwork in Spain ?

What cracks me up is everything is on the computer as well as in triplicate papers.
Old Apr 27th 2011, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
Do they have paperwork in Spain ?

What cracks me up is everything is on the computer as well as in triplicate papers.
But they still always want the one paper you don't have with you!
Old Apr 27th 2011, 5:32 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
But jago25_98 wants to work under the table.
Rather, I'm just wondering if I'll be able to do a bit of moonlighting of any kind.
so no paperwork for him then.