Calpe area

Old Jun 13th 2014, 10:12 pm
Just Joined

julierhodes is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Calpe area

Hi - we are thinking of moving back to Spain from the UK. Have been driving around the Calpe/Benissa/Moraira area which all look lovely but would like some feedback as to the day to day living in these areas. We like peace and quiet without being isolated in the campo and would like some good open views (sea preferably) so if anyone can give us info on where we should concentrate our search that would be great!
Old Jun 14th 2014, 6:01 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calpe area

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. I am the Concierge for the Spanish section and thought that you might find it helpful to know that the moderators for the Spanish forums are Fred James and Bevs, moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge of the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jun 14th 2014, 6:29 am
Just Joined

Thanks for that - will be in contact.
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
We spend around 4 months of the year in this area, if you have driven around it a fair few times then you will have a fair idea of what it's like, what you see is what you get, Calp (as it's called at the moment) is the busy end especially in summer but its quite in winter with most places still open, the Benissa Costa is Quite and still beautiful with no high rise building and an unspoilt coast line, Moraira in busy in summer but it's not the manic busy that you see along a lot of the coast, there are only a few hotels so most are people staying in villas so there's not that many people, some places close in winter but there are plenty still open, you will never go hungry or thirsty!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 7:50 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Calpe area

Thanks for that - we liked Benissa more than Calp or Moraira. Unfortunately I have limited internet at the moment as we are still on our way back to the UK and I have so many questions to ask so if it's ok with you, will be in touch when back in the UK with proper wifi!
Old Jun 17th 2014, 8:12 pm
Forum Regular

marcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the roughmarcbernard is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Longlegpete
Hi
We spend around 4 months of the year in this area, if you have driven around it a fair few times then you will have a fair idea of what it's like, what you see is what you get, Calp (as it's called at the moment) is the busy end especially in summer but its quite in winter with most places still open, the Benissa Costa is Quite and still beautiful with no high rise building and an unspoilt coast line, Moraira in busy in summer but it's not the manic busy that you see along a lot of the coast, there are only a few hotels so most are people staying in villas so there's not that many people, some places close in winter but there are plenty still open, you will never go hungry or thirsty!
I wonder what you mean by "quite".
There is a vast difference between Calp (the name in valenciano) and Moraira. It all depends of one's attitude to life and environment! Personally I prefer Benitachell, between Moraira and Javea. It has the benefit of access to both those towns without the weight of either of their guiris (tourists).
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longlegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond reputeLonglegpete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julierhodes
Thanks for that - we liked Benissa more than Calp or Moraira. Unfortunately I have limited internet at the moment as we are still on our way back to the UK and I have so many questions to ask so if it's ok with you, will be in touch when back in the UK with proper wifi!
No problem
Old Jun 17th 2014, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by marcbernard
There is a vast difference between Calp (the name in valenciano) and Moraira. It all depends of one's attitude to life and environment! Personally I prefer Benitachell, between Moraira and Javea. It has the benefit of access to both those towns without the weight of either of their guiris (tourists).
Yes indeed there is a big difference between Calp (soon to be changed back to Calpe as I understand it, politics! ) and Moraira, I am assuming the o/p knows that as they have been "driving around the area" for me quite means generally much less people/cars/noise
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 5:41 pm
Just Joined

More questions! My husband is in receipt of the state pension so I believe he gets healthcare free? I am not, however I' m sure I read that I would get healthcare free too as I am a 'dependant' - is this true? When we lived there over ten years ago we had private health insurance - can any of you guys shed any light on which system is the correct one please? Also, I believe that help for the elderly in later life is not so good - is this true or again, is there a system that you can pay contributions to and is there anything in place out there such as home-help/ care homes etc. (not that we need them anytime soon) but would be nice to know! Thanks. X
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:26 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Bye bye España | In English | EL PAÍS

This article is current and gives an independent view of Calpe by long term British expats living there. It's worth a read for prospective incomers.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute

Had you ever thought of a little more north i.e. the area around Ondara/Denia or even Oliva?

Loads of quieter places like Beniarbeig, Benidoleig, Orba, el Vergel, Els poblets etc. etc.? Many with good open views. Also, Calp is not so flat and might become more difficult when getting older.

Hope you find what you are looking for and good luck.
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 9:25 pm
Just Joined

Thanks - we actually stayed in Oliva for a while and decided it was a bit too Spanish. Yes, I know, and the scenery and beaches around there are stunning but it wasn't quite for us. We're def not Benidorm people but still felt more at home once past Javea and going South.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 11:19 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by julierhodes
Thanks - we actually stayed in Oliva for a while and decided it was a bit too Spanish. Yes, I know, and the scenery and beaches around there are stunning but it wasn't quite for us. We're def not Benidorm people but still felt more at home once past Javea and going South.

You maybe didnt look hard enough. Oliva isn't the only town around there, there are plenty of nice towns around. Part of Oliva is VERY british, so you can get the best of both worlds. There are several British Social Clubs and a number of British orientated bars. But frankly if you don't want somewhere too Spanish then maybe you should consider a different country
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Horlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond reputeHorlics has a reputation beyond repute

And here's the problem with asking us. Marcbernard PERSONALLY prefers Benitachell. I did a double-take on seeing that it was preferred to either Javea or Moraira, both of which I'd PERSONALLY prefer.

This is a big decision, travel around more, sit in cafes talking to people who already live there, stay a week or two. When you no longer feel it necessary to ask internet strangers you've probably found the right place.

Originally Posted by marcbernard
Old Jul 6th 2014, 9:41 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Horlics
This is a big decision, travel around more, sit in cafes talking to people who already live there, stay a week or two. When you no longer feel it necessary to ask internet strangers you've probably found the right place.
I rather like this. It's good advice to anyone moving to another country.

BE Karma.