Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Calculating tax in Spain

Calculating tax in Spain

Old May 10th 2007, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Calculating tax in Spain

Hope someone can help me out here

I've been quoted a gross monthly salary (12 payments) of 2050€.

I'm told this will work out at about 1750€ net; however the online calculators I've tried have the actual net figure at just under 1600€. That's a pretty big difference.

I'm single, no kids, paying rent but no mortgage.

Would be very grateful if anyone who knows how these things work could tell me which of the 2 net figures is closer to the mark.

Thanks
Old May 10th 2007, 5:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Calculating tax in Spain

Your allowances are here

http://www.spainaccountants.com/it.html

Personal allowance 5050 euros
Earnings related 2600 euros
Total allowances 7650 euros

Net 16950 euros pa

Think thats right anyway. If you are a Spanish resident you also have to pay wealth tax on your worldwide assets
Old May 10th 2007, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you

So, I pay tax (at 18%?) on the 16950 but the other 7650 is not-taxed?

And I also pay about 110€ seguridad social?

[edited to say:]

I really don't get this! I've just read about a basic tax of 15% on the frist 4000€, plus 24% on the rest. That gives me the 1600€ figure I've been seeing. A long way short of the figure I was quoted.

Can anyone work out where the discrepancy is?

Last edited by rachelk; May 10th 2007 at 6:18 pm.
Old May 10th 2007, 6:36 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

You are looking at last years figures.

The allowances Mitzyboy quoted are the current figures (income earned in 2007)and they have increased quite a bit.

The downside is that the lower rate tax band has gone and you now start at 24% on the first 17360 of taxable income.

You can also deduct your social security contributions from your income.

On the basis of your figures your tax should be 3751/pa giving you a net monthly income of 1737 less the Social Security of 110 giving you 1627/mth.

I would check out exactly what your annual social security payments are and also check that you are not paid 14 times a year - many people are.
Old May 10th 2007, 6:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Many thanks Fred, that's very helpful.

Sadly, it's definitely not 14 times per year.
Old May 10th 2007, 8:14 pm
Forum Regular

sunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to all

Rachel
I will be earning about 2000 euros a month - after tax and social security I have been told I will take home 1594 euros a month. But I also get allowances for 2 children.
I think you can pay different amounts of social security depending on what you are covered for.
Fred probably knows more about this.
Old May 10th 2007, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks, it all makes sense now. I've done the calculations with the new figures that Fred & Mitzyboy quoted and now understand where they come from.

The 1750€ is clearly wrong, unless they actually meant to place me on the next band. If only!

At least I know where I stand now and know what to ask them - would have been awful to turn up and suddenly realise the money was so much less than expected!