Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Cafe Opening Times

Cafe Opening Times

Old May 21st 2011, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

wolf727 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cafe Opening Times

Could someone please tell me what are the cafe opening times in Spain? How late do they stay open to?

I am currently deciding whether to change use of a shop to a Licence for a cafe, not a bar, and would like to know what are the general opening hours in Spain with cafes.

Many thanks.
Old May 21st 2011, 4:34 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cafe Opening Times

Originally Posted by wolf727
Could someone please tell me what are the cafe opening times in Spain? How late do they stay open to?

I am currently deciding whether to change use of a shop to a Licence for a cafe, not a bar, and would like to know what are the general opening hours in Spain with cafes.

Many thanks.
Ha! Well, I hope you have stamina

Depends on the time of year but often from 7 am through to when people go home in the early hours of the morning . In Denia, I'm not sure but I guess it wont be far different in the main areas
Old May 21st 2011, 4:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Ha! Well, I hope you have stamina

Depends on the time of year but often from 7 am through to when people go home in the early hours of the morning . In Denia, I'm not sure but I guess it wont be far different in the main areas
Thanks "Mitzyboy" for that. Seems like you are the who is being kind enough to answer my posts and follow me around. Don't worry I do appreciate it.

Yes, stamina. Those are indeed long opening hours. I am comparing those opening hours to, let's say that of "Costa" cafe in the UK.

I am really trying to decide either to sell the premises, invest that in property in Italy or to do the cafe.
Old May 21st 2011, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

I find most cafe/bars are closing earlier these days due to the lack of customers with cash to spend in them.
A couple of years ago our "local" never really got busy until around 10pm especially at the weekend, but now as I often see while walking the dog they are closed by 10:30.
Old May 21st 2011, 4:57 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks "Mitzyboy" for that. Seems like you are the who is being kind enough to answer my posts and follow me around. Don't worry I do appreciate it.

Yes, stamina. Those are indeed long opening hours. I am comparing those opening hours to, let's say that of "Costa" cafe in the UK.

I am really trying to decide either to sell the premises, invest that in property in Italy or to do the cafe.
that's because most of us are enjoying the best weather we've had since September!!

do you mean a non-licensed-no-alcohol-type-place?

there's one in Jávea - it's a brit run bakery come cafe - I think it opens about 9.30 am. I'm not sure what time it closes, but it certainly isn't usually open in the evening, except perhaps high summer season

it pretty much open to a UK timetable
Old May 21st 2011, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lynnxa
that's because most of us are enjoying the best weather we've had since September!!

do you mean a non-licensed-no-alcohol-type-place?

there's one in Jávea - it's a brit run bakery come cafe - I think it opens about 9.30 am. I'm not sure what time it closes, but it certainly isn't usually open in the evening, except perhaps high summer season

it pretty much open to a UK timetable
Thanks for replying and thanks to everyone else above who has replied.

Initially, it would be non-licensed-no-alcohol-type-of-place. That is correct. My lawyer in Spain said that it would not be much of a problem to get a cafe License - but a bar License it would be more difficult.

I have been looking at the "Costa" style of cafes in the UK and comparing it with the cafes in Spain. If I decide against the cafe idea in Spain then I would probably sell the premises and invest it in property in Italy.

Thanks again for your response.
Old May 21st 2011, 5:35 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for replying and thanks to everyone else above who has replied.

Initially, it would be non-licensed-no-alcohol-type-of-place. That is correct. My lawyer in Spain said that it would not be much of a problem to get a cafe License - but a bar License it would be more difficult.

I have been looking at the "Costa" style of cafes in the UK and comparing it with the cafes in Spain. If I decide against the cafe idea in Spain then I would probably sell the premises and invest it in property in Italy.

Thanks again for your response.
I think the main problem you will have will be the lack of a booze licence - it won't appeal to the local Spanish if they don't have the option of a carajillo or una toca of something in their morning coffee!

apart from the one I mentioned, every café/bar I know does have an alcohol license - and as Mitzy says - they are usually open pretty early til very late every day
Old May 21st 2011, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

I think the main problem you will have will be the lack of a booze licence - it won't appeal to the local Spanish if they don't have the option of a carajillo or una toca of something in their morning coffee!

apart from the one I mentioned, every café/bar I know does have an alcohol license - and as Mitzy says - they are usually open pretty early til very late every day
Thanks again for your reply - kind of you to take the time to do so.

That piece of information you've just sent me could be quite important. Because one has to take in cultural differences and habits.

I've just returned to the UK after having spent 5 years in Italy. I noticed a lot of "Costa" coffee shops here in the UK that seem to be doing very well. They have a standard design, they are clean, efficient and concentrate on different coffee types and sizes and sandwiches and cakes.

I am fully aware that the cafe phenomenon is something that is new for the UK while it is common place on the Continent - it may not have the same impact as it does here in the UK.

I was thinking of creating a sort of "Costa" type of cafe in Spain but...not sure.

It may be better to sell of the premises and invest it into properties in Italy. In Italy flats, villas etc tend to move more. I would be afraid to do that in Spain because the market is swamped with villas and appartments.

I like Spain for the open spaces, the ease of driving and it has less bureaucracy and expenses than Italy.

Italy to me is a nightmare if you want to open up a business - too much bureaucracy and taxes. But for buying and selling properties it does better than Spain.

Thanks for your reply.
Old May 21st 2011, 6:08 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Even the cafe at our swimming pool sells booze.

Rosemary
Old May 21st 2011, 6:13 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

Originally Posted by The Oddities
I agree. Even the cafe at our swimming pool sells booze.

Rosemary
let's face it - even McDonalds sells beer!
Old May 21st 2011, 6:22 pm
Just Joined

let's face it - even McDonalds sells beer!
Okay, that's fine.

But as far as I have seen "Costa" and "Coffee Republic" coffee shops do not sell any alcohol and I'm in the UK, land of beer!
Old May 21st 2011, 6:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, that's fine.

But as far as I have seen "Costa" and "Coffee Republic" coffee shops do not sell any alcohol and I'm in the UK, land of beer!
Who is your target market for this cafe? If tourists, your idea makes sense. If locals, less so.

That style of cafe (ala Costa/Starbucks) does very well in Greece, however.
Old May 21st 2011, 6:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by meauxna
Who is your target market for this cafe? If tourists, your idea makes sense. If locals, less so.

That style of cafe (ala Costa/Starbucks) does very well in Greece, however.
The target market would definitely be for the Spanish. Why? Because the area it is in is more in a commercial residential area catered for the Spanish people. It has Spanish appartments above and all along the street with Spanish businesses.

Now...isn't that interesting? Why does Costa/Starbucks do well in Greece? Especially when no alcohol is served!
Old May 21st 2011, 6:40 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Many thanks.
Spain is a big place, and depending on where you go, the local council offices will supply you the list of opening and closing hours of each category of cafe/bar/restaruant/disco etc., and the different days if they are week days or weekends.

Here is an example for El Bierzo, (inland) it was the first one that came up when I googled.

http://www.el-bierzo.com/foro/showthread.php?t=2523

I am off to possibly meet my maker now, but I will go with a glass in my hand, has any country been wiped out yet?

Old May 21st 2011, 6:59 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JLFS
Spain is a big place, and depending on where you go, the local council offices will supply you the list of opening and closing hours of each category of cafe/bar/restaruant/disco etc., and the different days if they are week days or weekends.

Here is an example for El Bierzo, (inland) it was the first one that came up when I googled.

http://www.el-bierzo.com/foro/showthread.php?t=2523

I am off to possibly meet my maker now, but I will go with a glass in my hand, has any country been wiped out yet?

Thank you for your input. I just quickly scanned through the link you sent me and reads that for bars and cafes closing time would be 1:30hrs.

"Has any country been wiped out yet" you asked? Hmm... don't get me going on the global elites, NWO, Trilateral Commission and CFR in the U.S.

Thank you kindly for you reply.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.